348 - New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major | Page 3 | FerrariChat

348 New YouTube Nonsense 348 25k major

Discussion in '348/355' started by dahveedem, Jul 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Thanks for the compliment. I feel like a chump now, ' cause I think I mentioned Ricambi several times on my video series, but paid full $ for the parts. Who knew you could get stuff for free? Regardless, I only did my videos because when I started my major, I sure wished there was a series like that I could have watched. Mine was strictly for fellow brotherhood members who wanted to know what they were potentially getting into, and how to do it complete with mistakes an idiot like me made.
    Now folks have a choice in their 348 major viewing; my old boring and dry series, but with (i hope) excruciating detail that will help an owner actually do a major themselves, or a much more polished and entertaining series that glosses over the nitty gritty of actual steps that need to be taken.

Sent from my VS990 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BOKE, TiminAustin, Koenig1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Red_SLR

Red_SLR Karting

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I have been watching the 348 major videos (and NGSC since day dot) and I think its a good bit of fun. They are making occasional mistakes but I don't see many people doing their own engine out, takes b@lls.

Never take anything said on youtube seriously. Its *entertainment*. Remember that TV programme called Top Gear?

Clickbait is just part of the business model. Dan even said recently that he would be doing click bait as its the best way to get clicks. Sad but true. Just look at any of the British vloggers, TGE, SOL, Seen Through Glass, JWW, Archie Hamilton and they all do it. The fact it outrages some people just makes it all the better, drives even more clicks!

If you really want to see some true dog 7urd videos just watch some of this... I doubt you will last 10 seconds before you realise Dan is actually producing some half decent car content.

Fred Daniali likes this.
  3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Your DIY videos are a fantastic tool for the next 348 Brotherhood member that needs do his own engine out major. Really useful for owners that actually own tools and do their own work. There are more of us than people think. Thanks for taking the time to make them and post them on YouTube.

Koenig1, QSA, c7matt and 2 others like this.
  4. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Thanks, but all I did was regurgitate the wealth of information I gleaned from this Ferrarichat section. You, Ernie, FBB, and so many others were the Yoda to my feeble Jar Jar Binks attempts.
    "Teach you to drop the engine I will"
    "I'm not scared"
    "You will be...you will be!"

Wade, Nader, Ferrarium and 3 others like this.
  5. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Your videos along with this sub-forum are what convinced me that I could handle owning a 348. I got mine a few months ago and so far, so good. As far as Dan's vids go, I'm happy any time the 348 gets some screen time. People that see those videos and are curious about the 348 will probably quickly find this forum and other sources of good info. I'd be curious to see if your videos get a viewership bump over the next few weeks due to spillover from Dan's subscription base.

Wade and ernie like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I asked my dealership who much they charge for the Mondialt/348/355 major, and they said 25K.

So actually spot on (at least in my situation)

7. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    VW dealer also just charged my daughter $160 for an oil change.

I think a reputable shop could install a complete used engine with verified compression/leak-down for less than $25k.

Wish Bradan or Rifledriver would chime in here.

Based on what’s involved, I just don’t see a major service costing more than $8-10k.

Throw in all the “while you’re in there” updates and/or deferred maintenance, then you are not doing a routine service and comparisons are difficult at best.

paulchua and Pangea like this.
  8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    25K for a service? Ok well I may as well just buy those left over 458's you have. Can I do a trade in? That's how that works.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    QSA, just quoting official FSV, not saying what *you can get it done for* don't take my word for it. here call this number and ask yourself (888) 876-8007 - some folks insist on doing everything at a dealership. (not me)

Got mine done for around 5K independents (3 times), so preaching to the choir.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #60 paulchua, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Daniel, actually, I asked my dealership (Ferrari Silicon Valley) how much they charge for a major, and they quoted me ~25K. I just assumed that's what official dealers charge nowadays.

This was my personal experience and happened last year, so your title is not clickbait in my instance.

No way I would pay that, but I did see a couple F355s in the garage bay, so some folks obviously do...

11. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I agree 8 to 10K should be the max. Even if you figure $200/hr labor I would think an experienced tech could pull an engine in less than 10 hrs. That would be less than 4K for engine in and out, $2000 for belts, bearings and water pump rebuild with 5 hours labor if valve shims are ok.
    I would think it would be in the best interest of owners to discourage the idea that a routine 348 major every 5 years will cost $25K. That would drop the value of our cars to zero. No sane person would buy a 348 for 60K, with the knowledge it would require another $50K input over the next 10 years. They would just get a later model with timing chain and come out way ahead.

paulchua likes this.
  12. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Yah.. the 25k from a dealer ... no offense but if you got 25k to spend with a dealer... maybe upgrade to a newer Ferrari.

I'm with Paul.. that is the tops in my mind too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Didn’t mean to imply you were exaggerating; I completely believe you.

paulchua likes this.
  14. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Uh, that cop is an ****** and deserved to be called out. His co-workers have approached me and thanked me for making that video showing that he's a jerk.

And again, way to make assumptions about someone you don't know.

Fred Daniali likes this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #65 Ferrarium, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Make what assumptions? Here is what we do know, drawing on what we know we can infer behavior.
    1) stipulates they don't know what they are doing several times on the service
    2) stipulates its purposeful click bait
    3) stipulates the purpose is to drive views it how money is made
    4) therefore the more stupider the more people watch, its like a train wreck
    5) either purposefully jacks the car wrong for controversy or are incompetent, not a Ferrari thing its a basic mechanical thing, its a bolted cross member clearly not structural
    6) stipulates the whole goal is revenue and eyeballs and the more outrageous and more controversy the better, it was also stated.
    7) we can see other videos, we have brains
    8) doing videos as a public service is not what this is
    9) its entertainment, outrageous obnoxious banter works, more outlandish the better generally so one assumes these sway that was as opposed to boring but accurate pubic service
    10) "he just doesn't care how bad something is as long as it drives views" - pretty sure he said that in different terms.

dahveedem likes this.
  16. vdettore

vdettore Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2017
    Georgia Coast
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Not sure where you’re at but you’d be better to ship your car to Ferrari of Atlanta. Save some money. Unless you’re over seas. They did my major for $12k.

paulchua and dahveedem like this.
  17. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for taking up the cause. I got skewered for my initial comments. I'll rely on fchat and the brotherhood for input.

Yep in that respect I'm sure I'm labeled a d**k. I cant and wont support clickbait though this post has done just that.. and I'll go to Enzo hell for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No worries friend, I get what you're saying. I think 25K is excessive as well.

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #69 paulchua, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Couldn't agree more with you. It's Silicon Valley Ferrari. In their defense, I don't think they are they off the mark and I'm sure are quoting 'market price.' It's adjacent to Atherton. I'm sure a car bay makes X amount of money for Y hours. They probably make that amount on other less intensive operations. Hence the high quote. Just my speculation.

20. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Ahhh, now it makes sense. Ferrari of Silicon Valley...isn't that the area where a 100 sq ft house next to the dump goes for $3 mill? 'nuff said. Seems like if you owned a flat bed transport you could make good money transporting Ferraris to the mid-west for bargain (comparatively) service, and the owners still come out way ahead.
    I will also add although anything over 8K for a standard major I think is a ripoff, if the car is in the 25 or 30K mileage area (or multiple thereof) and no one has checked those ridiculous chain tensioner blocks, they should be examined. That little bit o' fun takes about as much time as the other routine procedures, so that would up the price a chunk. Then, if they need replacing, the cost of those 2 little pieces of fancy plastic will make your jaw drop.
    The other hilariously priced component is "official" plug wires. I don't know if they are routinely changed out by the dealer. You can do it yourself for about 1/15 th the price for an extra 45 minutes of effort.
    Of course, if you're a Silicon Valley exec, 25K for car service is chump change. Just sell a few more iPads. But as many have pointed out, if folks start thinking routine service on a 348 is going to be 30% of the value of the entire car, no one will buy one.

dahveedem and paulchua like this.
  21. TiminAustin

TiminAustin Rookie

Mar 19, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Tim Purcell
    The VIN is 090748. It will most definitely NOT SELL after this. I bought it with the intention of keeping it forever, which is one of the reasons I elected to go as deep as needed to address any and all issues.

2cam and QSA like this.
  22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I was thinking about the comment to Ernie about making Stooge YouTube videos and my mind started to wander. For those who have never witnessed a Stooge repair, either major or minor, you can only imagine. My first encounter in 2007 at Plugzit's old house. Five guys leaning over a 348 engine bay - Bruce, Goth, Ernie, FBB and me the newcomer. I didn't know what to expect but having worked in groups on cars before I imagined a similar experience. Wrong! It's one long running conversation that shifts topics like the wind, one of which is about the work being done, another about work we should do and the rest is Stooging. Then there's the inevitable wrestling match between Ernie and FBB. Food appears, beer too and Cokes for Bruce. There's a feisty discussion about the best lunch place - Bruce, it's McDonalds, me it's the Italian Deli, but we end up at a Subway. Everyone seems to know intuitively what they are doing but there's always the ribbing about being to slow turning a wrench, losing the socket, dirty engine parts and lost concours points, as if anything Stooged would be entered. And then, almost like magic, we're done. I never know who did what, or undid what, but the project gets done. Sometimes a couple of Stooges disappears for a confab then returns with some solution. Once at Tim's Stooging involved welding a 355 subframe up-brace that cracked which sent us on a mission to see if they were all made that way. That's when we discovered that later models had gussets welded in just as Tim did on that '95 355. Who knew?

But the idea of a Stooge video, let alone a series of video Stoogefests might be too much to handle. From tin foil hats to homemade tools to very non-conforming repair methodologies. And all the goofs we have made in the interest of figuring these crazy Italian cars out. I don't think anyone could hold the camera still long enough or has the requisite patience to deal with a cadre of Stooges let loose on someone's car.

BOKE, ernie and dahveedem like this.
  23. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    For what is worth, I have a 328 and a CS since 2012 and 2013 respectively and I have never spent more than approx USD 3200 for a service, be it major or not (that is in Switzerland - not known to be cheap).

Pangea and dahveedem like this.
  24. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Welcome Tim! I hope that you have a wonderful ownership experience and really enjoy the car. They're great machines!

2cam

TiminAustin likes this.
  25. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    You're right. It probably isn't right to make assumptions about someone based on the behaviors that they display and the comments that they make. Apologies for that.

2cam