355 - 142882 Front Wheel Bearing - Grease? | FerrariChat

355 142882 Front Wheel Bearing - Grease?

Discussion in '348/355' started by WATSON, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    WATSON likes this.
  3. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Thanks Wade. I picked up two from Ferrparts. They are always good for a decent used part.

I have a low rumble noise in the front and can not for the life of me think of what else it could be.

Hitting these with a grease gun was my first preferred approach, but obviously not an option, which struck me as odd.

I have zero slop in the bearings on the car. Just a low rumble noise I have over the years equated successfully to wheel bearing issues.

4. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Almost on topic, but does anybody have any tips on how to separate the stub shaft from the bearing? Mine seem to be stuck fast and the stub shaft looks rather fragile (and expensive). Any tips for Getting the bearing off without damaging the shaft?

Thanks.

5. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I agree with @Wade, don't think these are serviceable at all unfortunately.

Have you tried Karp's Brake Service? It's a stretch that they'd repair it but it's worth a shot! http://www.karpspb.com/

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Any one of the variety of tools can be used to push/press the drive shaft out of the bearing. If it is not too bad, a bid hammer and brass rod, if it is really stuck then a big press tool is needed.

7. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    That front "stub shaft" does nothing. It is the front end of the teeth for the ABS sensor. No load on it all.

The bearing hub and wheel are held on with four bolts coming in from the back of the strut assembly.

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Most hub assemblies are sealed units so adding some lube would be a short-term fix. But if you can get some grease in there then it might help narrow down or rule out the source of the noise. In other words, if adding lube reduces the noise then you're on target.

However, the "low rumble noise in the front" is typical of a wheel bearing. I had the same but in the left rear which was more difficult to nail down where the sound came from (too many rotating parts back there). Turned out to be the left rear wheel bearing which was replaced during a 30k service.

Mine was a steady rumble/drone which increased with speed, and no changes with side loads (left or right turns).

9. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    +1

I looked silly sticking my head out the window as I coasted down exit ramps in neutral revving the engine. But I look silly most of the time so......

In the end, it wasn't engine related and the sound came from right ear, not left. :)

10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    These are mine, I have a pair of very low mileage ones. Of course I’d make a much better deal off eBay for a f chat member.
    They are as everyone has said a sealed bearing and unserviceable and very rare and pricey to boot.

11. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You might not believe it, but I’ve had “bearing rumble” from irregular tyre wear. If you run your hand across the tyre surface and feel the tread block feathered and uneven then it might be that. I’ve had it on two cars now (not my Ferrari thought). Changed or rotated the they tyres and the noise was gone.

12. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks. I got how it was attached, it’s just that it looks like some el-cheapo alloy that will bend/fracture as soon as I apply some pressure.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Pretty sure you can press in and out those bearings. Thought I read a post on it, it was rear if I recall but the same design.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Now you tell me. :)

15. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The more I think about this the more I think my comment above s incorrect.

The shaft that comes through the bearing does provide bearing support. It is just not tied to the frame or strut in any way.

The bearing hub could be installed on the car without that shaft, but the load would be too much for just the bearing to support.

As a result for me to say it has "no load at all" on that shaft is, in fact, wrong.

16. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The problem is that you can’t take the bearing off the hub because even after you take the 4 bolts off the bearing carrier, the whole thing is captive because the inner part of the spline shaft won’t fit through the hole in the hub.

I’ll need to use a puller in situ and try not to damage the shaft.

17. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Take the 4 bolts out and the whole assembly is in your hand and you can work on it on the bench.

WATSON and spaghetti_jet like this.
  18. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ok. Thanks. I’ll give it another go.

19. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Unfortunately I’m away from home or I’d take some pictures or video. I have all the parts on the shelf where I could show how it all fits together. I also have both 348 styles and 360 I could show the progression how things changed.

20. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I found a couple on pictures my iPad. You can see the ABS teeth on the stub is smaller in diameter than where the bearing assembly seats. That part can be tight, sometimes I bang it back and forth with a rubber mallet to get them to pop out. But if you take out the 4 bolts it will 100% come out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. spaghetti_jet

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That is outstanding support. Thank you guys.

I didn’t have the nerve to push it too much to get the rotor through the hole.

I had the Ferrari tax anxiety — all I had were the €€€ signs in my mind for buying a new stub shaft if I chipped a tooth off (it’d surely throw a code for the ABS with a tooth missing).

next winter they are coming off for inspection.

Thanks again.