Alfa Romeo NEWS 2017-2020 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo NEWS 2017-2020

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by F1tommy, Oct 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Also pertains to Alfa Romeo:

More info on the motors:

https://www.autoedizione.nl/nieuw-motorblok-koppelt-maserati-los-van-ferrari/

"Maserati invests as we know in new engines and electrical engineering in the coming years. Harald Wester recently announced that there is a new engine block to come as a basis for the entire range of the Modenese brand. The debut of this power source is probably accompanied by the introduction of a completely new GT that we can already admire next year.

The independent role that Maserati will play in the coming years, makes the brand more flexible and stronger in commercial terms. Between 2021 and 2022, the delivery of Ferrari engines will stop altogether. From this we can also conclude that Maserati's new GT Alfieri, will not share a power source with, for example, a Portofino or future Dino (possibly the other way around?). For these leading brands, it is therefore deliberately chosen for the necessary differentiation, which is the advantage of both companies. The new engine of Maserati will also serve as the basis for Alfa Romeo we expect, since both brands continue to work closely together in a technical way, with Modena as a home base."

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    More also pertains to Alfa Romeo

https://www.autoedizione.nl/kleinere-maserati-suv-van-de-baan/

"We have called out a few times that we find contradiction, when FCA on the one hand says that Maserati will be able to turn away from Alfa Romeo again in the context of exclusivity, while somewhere in 2021 it would be nice to start the production of an SUV the size of a Stelvio.

Harald Wester reported the compact Maserati SUV is a possibly as they have put 5 billion investment in the coming years in Italian factories that now produce Alfa Romeo's. Manley said this plan will have to be revised in certain aspects. Good news for brand purists of the logo with the Trident. At the same time, not such good news for those who have a warm heart in the whole Italian car industry and the associated Italian brands like us because do they have a plan?

Cassino that a few years ago became a symbol for the export of Italian ingenuity in the automotive sector, suddenly stands empty-handed. It is a long-awaited third model without counting the outdated Giulietta that can produce healthy production numbers. The Stelvio and the Giulia are not enough. Especially if there are no additions in the form of additional model variants, such as a Coupé, sports wagon or a larger SUV. Also one hybrid ????(what is this?) does not make production yet "

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Since the 2 companies are so closely united now I am posting this here. No automobile experience, so does this mean we will get Maserati branded Nike and Converse gym shoes soon :)

https://www.autoedizione.nl/maserati-trekt-ervaren-manager-uit-kledingbranche-aan/

" FCA has attracted the experienced Davide Grasso as COO and the right hand of Harald Wester within the ranks of Maserati. That made Lingotto known this week. Some see this as a sign, that there is a lot to happen to the brand with the Trident over the next few years. Grasso will also take place in the Group Executive Council (GEC). Harald Wester can count on a lot of international experience. Grasso comes from clothing giant Nike and Converse.

Wester becomes the first man (Executive chairman) of Maserati and is responsible for all areas. Especially in the technical field there seems to be a lot of movement at Maserati at the moment. New engines, suitable for hybrid technology, but also fully electric drives are under development. A large contract with the German ZF has also been signed, for the delivery of new 8-stage transmissions for Maserati's future models."

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    "Alfa's first PHEV in the compact mid-range, based on the concept Tonal, goes into production in the fall of 2020 (market introduction beginning 2021). The run-up to this production starts with the preparations for the realization of the assembly line. This summer it starts in Fca's Giambattista Vico Plant in Pomigliano d'Arco. The large industrial complex near Naples also includes a technical development center. The Tonal is thus fully established on Alfa's southernmost birth ground"

So they will build their Tonal in their worst region Alfa factory. I wonder if they still all call in sick when a big soccer game in being played :) They did build some of the first production boxer 4 cylinder Alfasud cars at the old plant, way before Subaru was doing high performance Japanese versions.

https://www.autoedizione.nl/pomigliano-start-voorbereiding-productie-alfa-romeo-tonale/

5. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    Pomigliano built all FWD Alfas, from the Alfasud up to the 159, except the Arna, the E-segment cars (164, 166), and the specialties (GTV/Spider, Brera/Spider).

The first FWD Alfas to be built elsewhere were the MiTo and the current Giulietta, built respectively in Torino Mirafiori and Cassino.

Pomigliano has come a long way, has undergone two major makeovers, and holds a WCM Gold certification. The plant currently builds the Fiat Panda.

F1tommy and Boomhauer like this.
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They made the 156 at Pomigliano and that is my favorite front wheel drive Alfa. The Alfasud was also an amazing little car.

Just noticed the TCR IMSA entry list at Road America this weekend has two TCR Alfa Romeo Giulietta's… Alfa is back :) Now if they will only race the 4C or it's replacement.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Boomhauer likes this.
  8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I do hope the compact SUV will have a 4WD option, then maybe I can justify buying one to keep at my rural property.
    FWD compact SUVs just seem wrong somehow.

Thelovelyrock18 likes this.
  9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    635CSI and greg328 like this.
  10. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Here's to hoping the 8c is a modern take on the tipo 33 and not just a ferrari with an alfa badge like that concept. Bleh..

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The in production 4C is the only one shown to the public so far. Other than the Tonale the above renderings were mostly done by journalists and are complete guesses.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    "Alfa Romeo fans will still have to be satisfied with relatively little up until 2022. The brand is not yet given a serious injection in the field of exclusive newcomers, such as a GTV based on the Giulia or the 8C mentioned by Marchionne just before his death. But also there is no E-segment SUV or Giulia Sportwagon. The Giulietta does not get a direct successor, with which a certain important target group in our eyes will not actually be served anymore. Mike Manley stated that today during the presentation of the quarterly figures. The sportive premium brand of FCA, will therefore have to wait a few more years for serious input, because the focus is elsewhere.

All attention is tentatively focused on the electrification of the compact segment in the form of fashionable crossovers/Suvs. The tonal in the C-segment comes as hybrid PHEV and there will appear in 2022 a B-segment Alfa Romeo Cross-Over on the market which will be both hybrid and fully electric. The latter is established in Turin. The advent of a small Alfa Cross-over, complements similar variants of Fiat and Jeep. Lancia is not a part of it now. The platform is possible Psas Cmp (E-CMP if electric) used for the Peugeot 208, Corsa and DS3 Sportback. "

https://www.autoedizione.nl/tot-2022-alleen-twee-compacte-suvs-voor-alfa-romeo/

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Giulia has been outselling the Stelvio in the US market this year. Looks like they will both get a mild re style for 2021 for intro in late 2020. Hopefully a nose job is included :)

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    needs for both guilia and stelvio are to allow complete turn off of esc/tc and for the guilia qf to offer awd. plus an intermediate engine between the 280 hp 4 cyl and 500 hp 6 cyl. then they will be good. shouldnt be that hard to do

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My feeling is that now that they have Peugeot they will use the Jeep platforms to make more SUV's and cross over type vehicles for Alfa and Peugeot in the Euro market.

To me Alfa as we know it is slowing shrinking away in the US market as they concentrate on Jeeps and less on the Italian brands. If I'm a Fiat / Alfa USA dealer now I must be pretty depressed.

Isobel and MalcQV like this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Tonale we do have in late design and production planning. Also the new Alfa 8C sportscar I think will come along with an updated Giulia and Stelvio. I think they are far from dead and they did better than I thought they would already, but I had low expectations. They maybe should have brought over a good Giulietta type lower end car to sell and not wasted money on the line FIAT at all. That little boxy FIAT concept is cool and I have no doubt the Japanese and Koreans will copy it before they even get it in production, so maybe just make it a Jeep and be done with it. Even the Jeeps are being copied by Toyota on the RAV crap box.

17. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Tom, why do you think an 8C will be introduced?
    From the graphic you posted there is no 8C sportscar.

They had some exciting projects planned in previous investor meetings. This one is pretty disheartening.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO they want Ferrari to be "the sports car maker" and Alfa to be more like BMW. The 8C is not part of that plan, unfortunately.

Fiat in America will go all electric. Maserati will be luxury sedans and SUV's, probably sharing platforms with Jeep.

The 8C is not happening in this format.

19. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Honestly I don't see Alfa itself happening in the next 5 years. Peugeot have nothing to offer Alfa, Peugeot make some the mot dull, boring cars imaginable. Look what they did to Opel, turned it into a brand with zero identity making unremarkable cars.

To do that to Alfa would be very sad, yes not all Fiat era Alfa's have been great but I have a 916 GTV, 3.0 busso V6, super sharp steering and for all its faults it has character and isn't like anything else. The though of Alfa's being rebadged Peugeots is a terrible one.

MalcQV, DGS and Isobel like this.
  20. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I'm not even a dealer, and I'm depressed.

I was counting on a Giulia -- or, preferably, a GTV -- to replace my EVO X, down the road.
    But it seems that PSA is looking to take Alfa off-road. :(

21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I don't think it bodes well. If I have an Alfa it is unlikely to be a new one other than Giulia.
    Having never owned a Busso engine Alfa that will most likely be the next.

22. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    I was thinking of picking up a Giulia sometime in the next year or two. Is this now a bad idea? Sorry, I’m trying to piece this all together but I don’t exactly know what this all means for the brand.

23. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I'm sure you will be fine doing that. Alfa are not dead per se and the Giulia is not going anywhere. I'm just not sure what it means for new Alfas, as in new models/designs.

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    MalcQV likes this.
  25. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Unlikely to be an Alfa If it leaving a Maserati facility, no??

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk