2020 Corvette convertible is hardtop convertible not ragtop | FerrariChat

2020 Corvette convertible is hardtop convertible not ragtop

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    2020 Corvette: Yes Virginia, there is a 2020 Corvette convertible

And, surprise, surprise, it’s a hardtop convertible

I don’t know why I thought they would do a soft top. But let’s face it, softop (colloquially known as ragtops) cars are history.

Automakers keep offering them, but they fade, tear and a thief can cut through one into the car.

Chevrolet has released only a few pictures. One thing is evident, when the hardtop comes off the roof, it is covered by a solid covering, so you lose the ability o show off the engine. In fact, I think it’s not visible when the top is up.

Why wouldn’t the targa roof panel do, why did they have to make a separate model? Because those 90 lb. women don’t want to be bothered with unhooking a roof panel and setting it in the trunk. And what if the trunk is full? Of course what they are not saying is how much luggage room, if any, you lose when the retractable hardtop is down.

Now about those dual humps on the rear deck , which I will call headrest fairings. They first appeared on cars as early as the 1920s, racing cars. Apparently the blisters are not the same on the inside wall as the outside wall, which will take some getting used to.

I think the convertible will be about $6000 more. Just guessing.

The availability of this retractable hard top makes the 2020 Corvette even more intriguing. Maybe Ferrari ought to discontinue the Portofino now, before they have a sea of unsold cars outside Modena….

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think it looks nicer than the coupe, those fairing carry on and enhance the overall theme, somehow the proportions look better. Ill bet the stffness is eactly the same as the targa, but the mechanism here adds a little wight, no biggie for a road car.

Now for the bolted on roof with fixed hatch light stiff version.,

3. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I believe it will be as the Huracan. Soft top.

4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I love that folks think a modern "ragtop" is just like the top of a TR6....
    Modern canvas convertibles are at least 5 plies these days, with very complex frames, because many tops stow under a hard tonneau (like the C7 convertible did).
    In the time it would take a thief to cut through a modern canvas top (and better have a hacksaw to get through the top frame), he could have broken a window 50 times...

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I had a C7 Z06 with the targa top. It was actually a bit of pain trying to guess whether or not those black clouds ahead are likely to drop a lot of rain on you (wouldn't mind a sprinkle...but in Florida you can go from brilliant sunshine to a firehose of water inside of 1 minute) and trying to calculate where you can pull off to park, get out, pop boot lid, grab top, jimmy it into place (because it didn't always go smoothly if the rubber grommet was folded over), run back close boot lid, jump in car, fasten latches (don't forget to do that in a hurry or your roof flies off an decapitates someone as you drive off).

Convertible...slow down to 30 mph and push button.

6. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Talking to the Dealer about this next week. All I know now is that its going into production about 3 months after the coupe. At least that was his best guess.

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You dont understand us California/Portofino buyers. I would not consider cross-shopping this Corvette.

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    italiafan likes this.
  9. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Aren't they all going to be convertibles, the leno video interview I thought mentioned all would have removable top?

10. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I guess not.. Just read an article, seems like they previewed both..

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They are all removable targa's like Vettes have been since the 60's. But I really don't like targa's. If you're driving and want the top down you have to go through a hassle of stopping, removing, it putting it in the trunk and then going again. Then you get to where you are going and have to reverse it all. Then you are leaving where you went and do it all over again.

I just want to push a button. It's nice outside-- push the button. Its too hot or too cold or starts to rain -- push the button.

One of the most interesting things about the 458 spider was that if the sun is too hot, you can lower the windows AND the rear window but keep the roof up. You're in the shade but its really like driving topless. And the motor noises come right into the cabin. It seems the C8 vert does the same from the photos I've seen.

I bet in all these years I've seen 3 C7s running around with the tops off. People just don't do it yet every C7 has it. What's the point?

I'm using this car not as a sports car but as a daily driver. I just want to enjoy the ride.

CK7684, Phil~, DRYHOLE and 2 others like this.
  13. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace

Oh I see, they all are targa's, and a true convertible is coming. I am not savvy on corvettes so was thinking the target=convertible. I have a few friends with Zo6's that are not targa tops, so I guess they do have a few with fixed roofs as well. I have never liked Vets (minus the early originals), I do like the new one, will add one to my stable, if for nothing else an alternative and track day car at 1/3 the price of my F and L cars...

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I went to the Los Angeles preview==held in conjunction with a Corvette Cruise In and panel discussion-- today at the Petersen, the crowd was so deep around the car--5 deep all around--I couldn't get a side view. The lift off roof stores in the rear trunk so I guess if you have the proverbial golf bag you can't go topless...My critique run here earlier was confirmed except I noticed the car has a sort of Manta Ray/Stingray emblem at one end and a different one in front. Also the King Tut art deco rear window frame is not any better looking in person. The seats, white in this blue car, didn't look as expensive as I thought they would. There's a schedule on Mid-engine Corvette forum of ten dealers it will appear at soon all over the country. I sold "Corvette Mike" three prints of my paintings of the car. He objected to the Parisian setting but I told him "At last we can go to Europe in an American car and show them what's what..."

15. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    The Leno video where he gets to drive it slowly inside the hangar where the presentation was? That video was cringe-worthy. He just didn't seem to have any clue at all. About anything.

Because the targa panel was never really a good solution in practice. Takes time getting it on/off, needs to be stored, compromises chassis stiffness and is generally not a very pleasant experience outside of city driving.

ok, so you're just trolling after all...

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Hey I used to have it off all the time..but ‘ya know...safety first! :D

of2worlds likes this.
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #19 TheMayor, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Found this picture today of the interior of the Convertible.

There is less head room than the coupe. How much is hard to tell but its less. Probably an inch and a half. There's some kind of extra brace inside which probably holds the mechanism arms.

What is interesting is that the rear window is set up differently than the 458 spider. The window extends behind the headrest which means the two bubbles are more offset to the outside of the car. This has one advantage. The 458 felt much like a targa to me and that I was setting in a hole. When you look reward on the C8 you're basically looking straight back which should make it feel more "open air".

Hard to tell right now but its a bit encouraging to see.

Its also hard to tell what 3/4 rear view will be to see another car over there when you change lanes. But shouldn't be worse than any others with the same mechanical design. This car comes with lane detection so that should help.

Also note this is the 3LT "hand dipped" interior (in 2 tone) and that the headliner is also the same color as the leather on the seats.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

thecarreaper and italiafan like this.