The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    it looks like a competitor

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    So “performance” isn’t the goal of a new C8 or any Ferrari? A stick shift makes a performance car easier to drive on the street? I’m not following your point.

3. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My posts about stick shift was directed at those claiming they dislike the C8 because it doesn’t come with a stick shift. Yes I think stick on old cars is great. No idea why someone would order a 2020 car with a stick shift.

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Is that what I said? No, I said lap times aren't the #1 goal.

In a street car, compromises to lap times are made for comfort and enjoyment. A manual transmission falls under the latter of those two for many of us.

An F1 car doesn't have leather power seats, air conditioning, power windows, a radio, carpet/etc/etc/etc and yet you still bought your car.

5. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Enough said.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
  7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Some people buy these cars just for the joy of driving.
    Manual shifts cars give some people more joy.
    More involvement and satisfaction.

Its not all about 0-60 times and top speeds.

If it were Ferrari 250 GTOs would be worth about the same as a Toyota Camry.

TheCook and brookliner7 like this.
  8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

I dont want power steering or in a perfect world power brakes if the car is light enough.

These are not Formula 1 cars.
    This isnt obvious ?

If you want a race car buy a Formula car or Sports racer and RACE (PS real race cars dont have doors ;) ).

These are street machines bought by enthusiasts to drive on the street.
    Not every enthusiast is exactly like you.
    Might be hard to believe.

So whats the top speed for your area ?
    Here in TX there is a stretch of 85 MPH. Anything over that is wasted.
    Lets use logic.
    Right ?

TomAZ and INTMD8 like this.
  9. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the closest comparison i can come up with . Why do people make such a huge deal about the new C8 effecting the price of a Ferrari ??? If you like the C8 , go get one . If you don't and want to get a Ferrari , go get one . The only thing the new C8 is going to effect is the pricing on their existing corvette inventory .

10. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Because some people will/were considering both. Some of those people will go for the Ferrari and some will go for the C8 but what's for sure imo is that the used exotic market will go down due to the C8 taking buyers away. How much it will go down is debatable.

VAF84, Lagunascorpio and EastMemphis like this.
  11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    This rendering looks good. The others showing the fixed rear wing not so. Is the rear wing optional?

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, the wings - I think there are two different versions - are optional. I don't like wings in general, but the C8 wings seem particularly bad to me.

13. Turbotuner20v

Turbotuner20v Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2014

But do you really know what the C8 will be? You mention not liking the GT4 for reasons that could exist for a Chevrolet Corvette

Some people like the idea of buying a certain kind of car (F430, C8, McLaren, Lambo, etc) but never get off the bench to play in the game.

It will be interesting to see how many people put their money where there mouth is and buy a C8 vs. the F430 they were planning to buy.

I assume your C8 reservation has been logged at you preferred dealership with your $1,000 credit card deposit and you were contacted by a sales rep to build your spec?

14. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    and you honestly think that people wanting an exotic are going to turn and pull the trigger on a corvette ? I guess if you are a young buck wanting to just race around from light to light then yes , the C8 makes more sense . An older , more experienced , person is going to go after their dream car no matter what's in front of them . I have owned them all....from corvettes to grand nationals , syclones , typhoons , turbo integras , the whole car spectrum . I finally got old enough to know that i had the means to get my dream car and went for it . Could i have spent that money on a corvette and done some wild upgrades to it also....hell yes . I could have made it run circles around my 360 but i didn't go that route because i knew what i have always wanted and that's what i got . There is always going to be the latest and greatest out there but is it really going to effect the price you get for your car if you sell it.....I don't think so !

By the way , I would love to see proof of someone getting into a C8 for less than $60k....like they claim ;)

Manda racing, Toonfosi and TomAZ like this.
  15. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'm 61 and won't sell my 360 manual, but I might buy a C8 instead of the 612 I was planning to get. Pretty sure 360 and 430 F1's will have pressure applied to their resale by the C8.

I'll be surprised if it doesn't work out that way.

VAF84 and one4torque like this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The CGT says hello....

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Car guys aspire to own a true exotic which includes a degree of exclusivity, a Corvette is just not an aspirational car and has ZERO exclusivity...its a good sports car, fun to drive.

18. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    C4, 5, 6, 7 Corvettes never did anything for me, so never bought one. This C8 though.....tasty for the money. Especially for a DD

VAF84 likes this.
  19. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    My deposit was actually $2K at Bob Stall In San Diego, so yes :) Had I not, I would have bought a 430 this week instead.

Paid my deposit right after I confirmed that I (barely) fit, lol.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ass for days. Same width as a 458. Not perfection, but a decent compromise:

2cam, G. Pepper, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  20. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    These arguments are exactly the same as the arguments being made against the Audi R8 in 2008. Audi never made a mid engine sports car, and there was absolutely nothing exclusive about that brand. Yet, now it’s considered by many to be the most intelligent supercar on the market.

The new Corvette C8 Makes a complete mockery of the Audi R8 in both performance and cost. ...And that is a highly refined German exotic in it’s third generation with a V10! It’s my opinion that anyone that is not impressed with this new Corvette has some sort of weird agenda. Those GM guys absolutely, totally, and without any doubt, hit the ball out of the park and past the parking lot. You don’t lose any cool Ferrari street credibility by giving the guys at GM a pat on the back for this one.

Actual photo:

greg328, Skidkid, VAF84 and 3 others like this.
  21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Congratulations. I do hope it is a wonderful experience for you. :)

For me that last sentence is the key for me. It's not.. the "458 has the same width as a C8".. but the former. :) I couldn't compromise. I know that in 6 months I'd be in a conversation with someone who did own a Ferrari and they'd say (after everyone in town has one) "Oh yeah it's a nice car.. but it's not a Ferrari". And as nice as the C8 is.. they would be right and I'd have a great car but no matter how great, it wouldn't be a Ferrari. And of course I'd sell it in the end and loose a few grand. But that's just me. :) As nice as an iWatch or Timex or Seiko is on the wrist, it's not the Rolex that you're wearing in the pic.

SoftwareDrone and Lagunascorpio like this.
  22. Lagunascorpio

Lagunascorpio Karting

Dec 9, 2012
    Southern CA
    Full Name:
    Bryan L
    #97 Lagunascorpio, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Yes. This. Well stated.

Ferrari was only “aspirational” to me because of its:

- looks
    - performance
    - sound
    - to a lesser degree, its pedigree

My only major regret was its cost of entry, but there was no other lower cost choice that offered similar characteristics... until now.

I much prefer 458 and below sound over the big displacement v8, but the latter was much improved from C7 on, and the “thunder” has been slowly growing on me.

Arguably the Corvette has an equally compelling back story with its “Americana” heritage, so it’s 4 for 4 as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t see any reason why this next level platform couldn’t be considered “aspirational” :)

greg328 and Manda racing like this.
  23. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Some people are going to turn and pull the trigger. I might be one of those. I was gonna buy a 360 or 430 and convert it to manual but will wait for the Z06 version of this to come out now. I like to drive my "special" car a lot and with most exotics that's just too expensive of a proposition. Not to mention the extra maintenance/costs involved. I'm at a point where I don't want to deal with that BS anymore. I averaged 800 miles a month in my 355 but after a year I realized time to sell it before I get destroyed on resale.

If you're happy with your 360 because that's what you've always wanted then congrats and more power to you. Everyone has different priorities but 360 and 430 F1 prices will definitely be affected in a negative way.

VAF84 and Lagunascorpio like this.
  24. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    So I'm in the Yes and No camp

Yes, it will affect sales prices just because its one more thing for people to choose from. If you want a 2 seat exotic, finally you can get an American one with a 3 year warranty that any Chevy dealer can fix. Do you want a 15 year old 4 owner F430 with 15K miles or do you want a modern car with modern equipment and darn good performance for about the same money? For some that just want some fun, the Ferrari dream has an alternative without the potential Ferrari nightmare.

But it probably effects Porsches more for the No reason below.

No, because Ferrari's that are 15 years old are not daily driven. The people who are going to buy this want a daily driver. It may be their second or third car but they won't mind taking it to the office picking up the groceries in it. No one is going to care about the mileage, no one is going to care if it gets hit, no one is going to care what the mileage is, and people will willingly mod these with aftermarket bits.

They are really apples and oranges but its the daily driver car that faces the most potential in losses. Chevy is probably going to crank out 40,000 of them a year for the next two years. That volume means someone else lost 80,000 car sales.

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    IF the c8 out performs the new F cars..... I'm sorry but this changes things for me..... you will imitiating your f1 super hero's and not much more imho.

The F car MUST out perform the pedistrian c8... or they will be a fail IMHO.

I'm sure there are more performance enthusiasts who feel this way.

brookliner7 and Lagunascorpio like this.