6 Speed Manual California | Page 2 | FerrariChat

6 Speed Manual California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by derekmines, Apr 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. And considering the fact that the other hugely inflated cars have been in a financial freefall this year, even IF one of these sold at close to a million in 17 or 18, it surely looks like the bubble has burst and prices are coming down, hard! Just look at the 458SA and TdF prices. It's down by a third compared to late 17 to mid 18.

Paying a million for a Cali is ludicrous.

2. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There was a significant bump to manual F-cars a few years ago- I think things have leveled out/corrected since then. That being said, a manual California is a bit different due to its relative rarity.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

MelbourneCarl likes this.
  4. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Yes, and I learned I’ll never own one.

5. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    Ask me how I know but if you accidentally order a part that ONLY fits the coveted manual California, it's non-returnable. ;)

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its unicorn pricing.
    this is a very unusual car, and may be the right car for somebody.
    the 2 that have sold publicly have achieved prices in the range above.
    my guess is that when it goes to bonhams, and they advertise it, a few people will come out of the woodwork....

anunakki and BOKE like this.
  7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Do you know yet which sale - just so I can get accustomed to the taste of humble pie in advance !

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    it will most likely be going to the bonham's sale in geneva on sep 29th.
    this is also the sale in which the confiscated cars will be sold by the swiss govt.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    There was one UK RHD California, according to Ferrari, and while they won’t be precise on the LHD number, 7 seems the most credible number.

I wouldn’t give any credence to what an auction house puts on its website, they can, and do, publish any old crap.

While it’s true that these didn’t sell because people didn’t want them, that’s also the case for a NART Spider.

10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Put it on BaT, I am sure they would jump at the chance to list it.

11. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the car is garaged near zurich

12. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I don't think that would deter a BaT buyer for such a rare find. All you need to send are pictures and a description.

The major auction houses take such a big bite out of the total paid by the buyer.

Anyway, sounds like a very cool car, looking forward to seeing it listed somewhere. What color is it?

13. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    a few fchatter's have already sent me pm's to which i have responded with the details, but in summary, i think it would cost a buyer intending to bring this car to the usa about $60-100k of homologation, duty, shipping, licensing etc in addition to the cost of the car. its not impossible, but highly improbable.

the car is black over tan. 28k km. always maintained by dealers. always garaged. no accidents.

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anunakki and sixcarbs like this.
  15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    next, is that barring any last minute buyer coming forward in the next 2 days, the papers with Bonham's will be signed on tuesday.

the car will be offered at the September 29th sale at Bonmont, along with the confiscated super cars sold by the Swiss government.

the guide price will likely be 300-400k euros, and there will be a reserve level.

if a direct buying inquiry surfaces after the consignment to Bonhams but before the sale date, then it will be entertained, but a fee will be due to Bonhams of course....so if anybody has any intentions, better let me know in the next couple days to avoid that.

16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Looks like quite a line up of high end vehicles. There will certainly be plenty of money in the room. Almost all of them are no reserve.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25819/

What's the story with cars confiscated by the Swiss government? I thought Switzerland was a real live and let live kind of place. Is it all from one collection?

17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    sixcarbs likes this.
  18. andy355

andy355 Karting

Jul 18, 2004
    UK
    There was a manual California for sale new at hr Owen london. It was argento Nurburgring with grey (I think) with lots of carbon including front splitter as I recall that having a small crack. If I recall right it was 2011 or 2012. They offered me a “large discount” but we never discussed numbers as I had no interest in a manual one and ended up buying a regular one. I think the List was in the £190k’s . There was no inkling at the time that this would become something sought after

19. chrlsstyles

chrlsstyles Formula 3

Jun 29, 2004
    What I find interesting is that they have the VIN listed as ZFFMJ65B (6 Speed left hand drive Euro-spec California), yet there's a picture of the VIN that shows it as ZFFMJ65C (6 speed right hand drive California)

456-boy likes this.
  20. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. the car has been consigned to Bonhams for the September 29th sale.
    IF somebody is interested prior that, it can be bought, but a portion now needs to be paid to Bonhams.

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I actually asked about ordering the 6MT Cali when I was spec'ing my 2013 car back in 2012 but was politely informed that while it was still technically possible to order, that the dealership really wasn't keen on it.

I think the longish gearing on the earlier non-30 Cali would actually work well with the 6MT - it's the same reason why the Porsche GT4 uses longish low gears. Porsche is not stupid. It makes the manual GT4 smoother to drive on a daily basis. While the short gearing of the Cali30 makes it faster and punchier I think it would also make manual gear changes "frenetic", jerky, unpleasant - you start in 1st and immediately have to go to 2nd. Downshifting would also result in more engine drag, which although is very useful in aggressive driving is also unwelcome for most everyday drivers.

In the end, my dealer gave me good advice as I was clearly not trying to buy a collector's car and I am glad I stuck with the DCT Cali30 even though a 6MT Cali30 would likely be unique and desirable for some collectors.

Good luck with the auction - I think the car will make a good collector's car because the Ferrari 6MT is a nice tranny and the Cali, being so popular, is poised to become a classic. It will also likely be the last and arguably one of the fastest 6MT Ferraris.

22. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    About a year or so ago I test drove a 575M F1 at Meridien Modena in Lyndhurst. Sam Butt was accompanying me on the drive and we were discussing the premiums between the F1 and manual 575's.

The conversation drifted slightly and he started telling me about the handful of manual California's that had been built much against the want of Ferrari. He seemed to know a lot about them, numbers, how they drove etc.

Got to be worth dropping him a line. Especially when looking for a UK car.

23. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    AlfistaPortoghese likes this.