Naples 2019 | FerrariChat

Naples 2019

Discussion in 'Travel' started by SAFE4NOW, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Yet another " I'm traveling to Italy " thread !!

General Itinerary:

Arrive in Bologna
    Drive to Maranello to spend 2 days
    Drive to Parma for 2 night
    Spend a day at Varano de’ Melegari Circuit - Autodromo Riccardo Paletti driving current model Ferrari
    Drive back to Bologna to catch a high speed train to Naples
    Naples to Amalfi ***
    Amalfi for 3 days
    Amalfi back to Naples to catch a train into Rome
    Rome for 2 days
    Fly back to the States

*** Question is:

What is the safest / best way to get from the train station to Amalfi ?

I ask, as after the fact, I am getting all sorts of intel that Naples Central Train Station is the WRONG place to arrive and even dangerous to navigate... grrrr... should have asked the questions before booking the train tickets.

If private car, which I am fine with, any suggestions?

What do I need to know?

Too bad there isn't a helipad at the train station, I'd schedule a helicopter transfer for the view alone!

Thank you in advance for your input!

Steve

p.s. NOT my first time in Italy ( obviously ) but yes, my first time in Naples!

2. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    private transfer

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    +1

FYI Napoli Centrale is PACKED with pickpockets and low level criminals. Head up and alert at all times. Act like you know what you are doing and get aggressive with any stranger who offers "help."

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    To answer my own questions after traveling myself:

What is the safest / best way to get from the train station to Amalfi ? Salerno - stay on the train to Salerno , take the ferry around the coastline to Amalfi.
    Knowing this is an option now , I would do it differently next time.

I ask, as after the fact, I am getting all sorts of intel that Naples Central Train Station is the WRONG place to arrive and even dangerous to navigate... grrrr... should have asked the questions before booking the train tickets. My personal experience is that as long as you are very aware of your surroundings and personal items, you should be ok. I also witnessed what happens when you don't pay attention. There were several military personal as well as local police, and security employees in the area. It did not seem todeter the criminals nor did the police seem to care.

If private car, which I am fine with, any suggestions? Italiarail has links on their website and the drivers we had both ways were professional, spoke broken English, and knew the routes.

What do I need to know? #1 Pay attention to your surroundings. #2 Your driver will more than likely meet you outside the front of the train station, maybe across the street. Be sure to ASK the Service in advance where the driver will stage. There were so many taxi's staged out front and busses and ppl and ... well you get the idea... know where in advance and it will make it easier. #3 Bathrooms at the station will cost you $1 Euro to enter .

Too bad there isn't a helipad at the train station, I'd schedule a helicopter transfer for the view alone!
    Helicopter option require a transfer to the local airport from the train station and estimate for 4 ppl was $3,850 each way
    defeated the purpose as you still have to navigate the train station.

YMMV

s

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Sorry I didn't see this thread before you left...HECK YES on #1 (its my favorite part of going to Amalfi to make the short walk to the pier in Salerno and take the Ferry...met the love of my life within an hour of getting off the ferry in Amalfi the first time I went there...so perhaps I'm biased).

Where did you eat in Amalfi?

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I will be going to Amalfi next July.
    All input would be appreciated.

7. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    it will be VERY crowded

8. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    My fiends now a day Naples station is probably safer than Milan’s, Rome’s, Florence’s....
    for business I’m often in Naples. Just don’t wear expensive watches and jewelry and you will have no problems at all.
    The train from Naples to Salerno can be overcrowded and it is not a nice train. I’d suggest a private car.
    PM me if need help.

9. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I know. Unfortunately it's the only time we can go.