Ferrari F1 System Actuator Stripe down and Repair - Transmission Gearbox | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F1 System Actuator Stripe down and Repair - Transmission Gearbox

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spiderscott, Apr 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Used F1-actuator from another 360 seems to cured my problems.

So about my original, fully rebuilt actuator ... there's something wrong in it even after the rebuild company gave all the reports, readings and tolerances to me.

Real mystery.

2. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Have you contacted the company that rebuilt your actuator? I think I know who the company is and have had trouble with a rebuilt actuator from them. Ended up fitting a brand new one which cured the problems.

3. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Interesting updates....

I’d guess as the problem appears to be heat related it is something that cannot be simulated on the bench?

billy.gif likes this.
  4. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Not yet, sire.

We installed my rebuilt actuator to a different 360 - same which we took actuator onto my car. Problem is that the owner of the 360 is at a business trip for a week or so and the proper test drive would take +2 hours, really test (abuse) the rebuilt unit. I got no permission for that, only to drive "his actuator" in my car.

I'm just hoping that this rebuilding company would co-operate even slightly as I live in Finland... There was some experiences from them both at this site and at clubscuderia.uk.co, which none was negative.

I should have listened you, sire.

5. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Most likely. I have documents them testing my unit after rebuild and everything is within factory tolerances. These numbers doesn't tell me anything, but here's the attached report.

With in 2 days I drove more than 600 km (~400 miles) with the actuator borrowed from a higher mileage 360. Owner of the car has no clue how old the actuator unit is, but at least during the +50 000 km which he has owned the car it has not been changed.

I tested the unit as good as I can. Well honestly I abused it (double downshifts, double upshifts, shifting onto N while driving in highway -> revving -> back onto gear), got the car really hot, in a rush hour traffic with 1-2-1-2 shifts etc). No gearbox lite, nothing. Sometimes DOWNshifts were sluggish or such, especially lower gears (3-2-1) and lower RPM's (under 2000), but I assume that this is normal with a car which has almost 100k km on the odometer and the actuator unit has at least said 50k km.

Attached Files:

6. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Your test has pretty much ruled out the power unit/installation and the lower rev slower changes sound pretty normal.

To me it sounds like the actuator is either sticking or internally leaking with some heat expansion in place. I’d put more money on it sticking.
    I know the pin is replaced as per the OP on this thread but do you know if any of the other internals are replaced or re-machined?

7. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    It is my belief that the actuators rebuilt by this company are sticking. The one I was given to fit couldn't disengage fast enough and caused damage to other gearbox and F1 system components.

Please do get in touch with the company as they need to know there's a problem.

8. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

Very interesting information.

One question, Did you swap just the complete actuator (borrowed from your friends car) or also the 2x potentiometers ?

Would like to narrow down if this was 100% something faulty within the Actuator or still potentially one of the sensors ?

9. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Both, actuator + potentiometers.

My rebuilt actuator +potentiometers was installed onto another 360 but the owner of the said car is on vacation. And he is able to drive the car next week.

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Thanks.

I’m trying to elimate so of the parts so we can really know this F1 system and causes.

1. If possible it would be good to test your old potentiometer sensors with your friends complete actuator installed and see if everything still works

2. Did you do the factory alignment again (jig) or self learn with your friends actuator when installing in your car ?

11. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Mechanic said that we'll wait until the owner of the another 360 has time to do a proper drive with completely hot car and continue from there.

The actuator from this second 360 was straight bolt on, this shop doesn't have alignment jigs or such. Only thing to do was a gearbox re-learn which went trough with 0 problems.

He also said that the problem in the rebuilt actuator is most likely heat related.

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Ok, please keep this thread updated with your findings

13. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Love your vids Scott, keep them coming. Here's a video I just did bleeding an F1 actuator on a Murcielago. Pretty sure same Selespeed unit on a Ferrari. What a PIA.

Symptoms were a flashing shift indicator light and failure to engage the gear desired. This fixed it, but the hoops I had to go through to even get to the bleed screws....

14. Schestc2

Schestc2 Karting

Sep 20, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    bringing up the same topic again. Driving a 612, basically the same F1 system as the 360 or F430. Problem I have is shifting from 3rd to 4th or 5th to fourth. Always a delay, specially on higher revs. System is not leaking, was testet at Ferrari without any faults. So question where to start, the relais, the pump. the actuator reservoir, the actuator itself?

Issue is not new, driving with it over the last 18 months, bit its annoying as I have to drive the car like an old timer which it really isn't.

Thanks for support,

Stefan