308 very HOT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 very HOT

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robert Jorgensen, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You may be the lucky exception, Mike ;). Mine lasted (well, during my initial ownership) about... oh, 5 weeks? Before blowing coolant all over the driveway.

miketuason likes this.
  2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Sorry to disagree but water temps at 195 are not normal unless you are idling in traffic. Water temps should run about 175-180 on the road, even in hot weather. Oil temps I can't confirm. I've never paid attention to mine as it has never been a concern. Are you are pissing water out the over flow after a drive?

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I still would like to upgrade to the 1.1 bar if I could find a good one that works.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I have an '83 GTS also, great car that I've had since 2001. Congrats and enjoy.

So, have you had the idle get stuck at 3000 rpms yet, only to discover it's the floor mat has slid forward a bit and is blocking the gas pedal from returning. Had me sweating for about 4 hours when I first got my car. Felt a sense of relief and stupidity simultaneously upon discovery. Love these cars.

Yep they do throw off loads of heat and I always joke it's Ferraris roving BBQ, just throw burgers and dogs on the back louvers and break out the beer.

Oil temp is good, my water temp is below 195 on the highway, but then my speedo shows 70 when I'm doing 65 per GPS, so confirming what has been stated the gauges are a bit inaccurate.

Robert Jorgensen likes this.
  5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 84 nearly pegs the oil temp all the time with normal water temp. Been doing this for 5 or 6 years now. Maybe longer.

Just driving around town.

Damn strange

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Of course, the coolant temp will depend on the thermostat. IOW, with a cooling system that is in good condition and properly designed for the engine, if you have a 180F Tstat, your coolant temps will be lower than if you have a 195F T-stat. Offhand, I don't remember what t-stat is the specified one for the 3x8 and it may differ with the year. Tstat temp specs rose as emissions issues became more critical. 170-180F was common in the 'old days,' 195+ is common now and I have seen 210's. As mentioned, bumper to bumper traffic will generally raise the coolant temp above the 'crusing' temps because of the default setting for cooling fan activation.

FWIW the ideal for performance is hot engine, cold fuel/air. That's why drag racers use cool cans for the fuel and pack dry ice around intake runners! Neither method is useful for more than a few minutes at a time since the ice goes away... ;)

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That sounds like a bad 1.1 cap from new

What else could it be besides that?

miketuason likes this.
  8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Tommy I told you that you can't leave the oil in there just because "it came from the factory that way." You need to put in some fresh oil. ;-)

Lester

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It is a bad 1.1 and that’s all I could be nothing else because as I said I reused the .09 and it works great.

10. Mktwise

Mktwise Karting

Jul 25, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Us Ferrari 308 owners get used to the heat, they tend to run hot if your not moving. Drive the car on nice cool days. Getting stuck in stop and go traffic on a hot 100 degree day is no fun. If your temps rise when stopped in traffic consider turning on your heater to bleed the heat off the engine. Some people have installed larger fans in front of the radiator to get more pushing through it. Not sure if that helps though.

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The fans don’t even turn on until you pass 195. The boiling point of a 50/50 mix of water and glycol at 1.1 bar is around 265. If the temp passes 195, the fans turn on and it drops below 195 and the fans turn off everything is working just the way it was designed to. When it stops working as designed the fans will fail to control the temperature, it will continue to rise and the engine will overheat. Putting in a lower temperature thermostat or turning the fans on at a lower temperature isn’t going to help you, you need to fix whatever it is that’s causing the problem. You don’t want it too hot and you don’t want it too cool, you want it just right which is right around the middle of the gauge.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Lower temp thermostat or fan switch is a poor idea, and doesn't help in the least.

13. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    There are many things to check if your car is running on the warm side.You may have many issues causing your problem. This is my opinion and experience. A higher bar cap just a allows the car to get hotter with out spitting antifreeze. What fuse box do you have? You may not be getting enough voltage to your fans to make them turn fast enough. Changing the fuse box my help a lot of electrical problems. You need to bleed the system when the car is hot at the radiator and at the thermostat to make sure there is no air in the system. This may take several times. You must have the foam installed on both side of the radiator, under the radiator and on top of the radiator to insure the air flow goes thru the radiator and not around it. Also the gauges are not the best. So when the temperature gauge shows to be getting over half way, use your finger and flick the gauge several times and see if it drops down. It may not be running hot or on the warm side at all. If it has not already been done you may need to have a new modern radiator core install. Some will say just have the radiator rotted out. Its a old car. I put in a new larger aluminium radiator with new Spal Fans.The new fans push a lot more air thru the radiator. I don't want my car overheating at all cost. I don't want to be putting in new head gaskets or engine because it overheated. And that won't be fixing the overheating problem once use fixed the engine, unless you already have a bad head gasket. I understand the QV's have a problem running warm anyways. I live in Texas, summer days here are usually 90 to 100f. Under 90f my cars temp was fine. Over that is when I had the problem. I use 25% anti freeze and 75 % water with 2 bottles of water wetter when the system was empty. With my new radiator, new fans, new foam around my radiator, bleed the system of air and water wetter I have not had a problem running temps over 90C with a/c on in stop and go traffic and on the hwy its runs under 90c. These are all thing I have learnt from other FerrariChat's. Again, this is my opinion and experience. Anyways its a great looking car. Its a much better experience owning and driving your new car not worrying if its running hot or going to brake down on you. Thanks Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #39 Martin308GTB, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    BTW regarding the discussion about a 0.9 or 1.1 cap. We are talking about a difference which matches human blood pressure (on the higher side). I hardly believe, that these 0.2 bar make any difference. Taking into account manufacturing tolerances of the cap itself or the header tank's neck length adds to my statement.
    After years of fiddling with the different pressure caps I finally gave up. Coolant leaking through the overflow is much more often caused by an old worn cap gasket or a corroded surface on the tank's neck. Or a tired spring.
    Or with today's spares quality, new caps of course.

Best from Germany
    Martin

15. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    That is exactly what I needed to know. I might throw a hot dog in there so I have some lunch when I am done with my drive :)

16. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Big trucks everywhere haha! Thanks so much

17. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Thank you for sharing your experience. You have to excuse me while I am still learning a lot about my car but I believe the fuse box is stock. I see the little bleed screw on the radiator but I didn't know there is also one on the thermostat too. I am planning on putting an aluminum radiator in there for some more peace of mind and am in talks about a different waterpump as well. I live in the Pacific Northwest so I am running a 50/50 mixture which I assume is adequate for the climate up here. Never really gets too hot or cold. Besides wanting to upgrade the cooling system, there are really only a couple other minor things I am concerned with at the moment. And yeah new cars you do not have to worry about but theres a little bit of fun in figuring all this and I am meeting some really cool people along the way.

18. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I LOVE the new fans! When I had my 308QV, I thought about new fans as well, move much more air!!!

The radiator foam is a good catch too. I did end up replacing mine with a work around that sealed up the radiator/front area rather well.

James in Denver

19. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    One of the first updates recommended (even on the Mondial series)...

I believe Birdman still sells his kit. I bought one but never ended up installing it. If you can't get one from Birdman, give me a shout via PM (conversations???) and I'll try to find mine to offer to you at a good price. --- James

20. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    There are 2 Ferrarichater's making good new replacement fuse boxes. I have Birdman's, which works great. What you may like about the other one is the old fuse box cover still fits over the fuses. If it doesn't get that hot up there, you may not need the aluminum radiator. Aluminum will be 3 to 4 times the cost of having it recored. I bought my radiator from Nick's. Nick has a good redesigned water pump also. If you want to keep your car more concourse, I would have a new radiator core installed using the old radiator tanks.

21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bear in mind that in order for an aluminum radiator to match the thermal efficiency of the stock copper one it needs to be about an inch thicker so it's kind of a squeeze getting it in there with the condenser attached. It does weigh close to ten pounds less though.

Robert Jorgensen and miketuason like this.