328 GTS Wire questions - under steering column | FerrariChat

328 GTS Wire questions - under steering column

Discussion in '308/328' started by 83911SCDrew, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    Getting ready to try to adjust my steering column a little bit further down on my 328. After removing the bottom trim panel, I discovered a few wires that are disconnected. The first one is a Gulf blue with red stripe wire with what appears to be a factory connector attached, and there appears to be its “mate” with matching connector also under there. The other wire is a black wire. (See photo). Any idea of what these are? (Are they factory or are they from an aftermarket accessory?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The second set appear to both be brown, smaller gauge (perhaps grounds?)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #2 Fairview, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    “Gulf blue”... Porsche guys can never fully get it out of their system :)

On the wiring, if everything is working and the battery isn’t draining, might be best to tape up the ends, zip tie in a safe location, then forget you ever saw them.

Saabguy, pizzadude and 83911SCDrew like this.
  3. calhippie

calhippie Rookie

Oct 24, 2014
    Curiousity killed the cat. Tape and forget.

On a related note, has anyone used this wiring diagram? Might help answer the original question.

https://dhtauto.com/dht/threads/ferrari-328-gtb-328-gts-wiring-diagram.67304/

83911SCDrew and Fairview like this.
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    An AR (light blue - red) wire with a male spade terminal in that area may be for the "key left in ignition switch" switch portion of the ignition switch assembly. The BR (white -red) wire in your photo is the other wire going to the "key left in ignition switch" switch. Does your "key left in ignition switch" buzzer system presently work? That AR wire might also be +12V all the time so not good to just leave it dangling around bare.

Does the BR wire connect to a similar "gold" color female terminal with a black wire, and does that black wire go to the same device as the "loose" black wire you show?

calhippie likes this.
  5. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    Good Questions...I'm going to check further. Very tight in there! I did tape all of the loose ends with electrical tape just to be safe for the time being. I hate knowing that the are back there so I'll have to resolve it. I know that there was an alarm in the car at one point which appears to have been disconnected. Thanks for the reply!!

6. calhippie

calhippie Rookie

Oct 24, 2014
    And this is why you are a deserving owner of this car. Part enthusiast, part steward/caretaker.

Please let us know if/when you figure out this mystery.

83911SCDrew likes this.
  7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Consult the wiring diagram; that will resolve whether or not it's original and, if so, what the wires originally controlled. I would have no problem with disconnecting some original component - like the door buzzer I disconnected the first day after getting my 328 home. But I would then KNOW what I did. I'd also make a note of it in my car "notes." It's amazing what you can forget after a few years... :)

If the wires are aftermarket, I'd remove them. If the car HAD an alarm, that's a good thing - that it DOESN"T any more!

Re "Gulf blue" - never heard that term, I assumed it was some sort of 'auto correct run amuck' thing when I read the original post. ;)

8. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
  9. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Yes, there it is, and Gulf orange, another endearing color.