The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I suspect the C8 will have an immediate effect on sales of all sub-$100k exotics. What sane person who is thinking about their first exotic purchase wouldn't consider a new C8?

Long term, the C8 will likely improve sales of newer exotics due to people wanting to move up in the mid-engine food chain from a plastic wrapped American made car.

Personally, I have no interest in this wizzbang computer filled technological wonder regardless of the specs. I'm still planning on purchasing a 360 MT Spider, hopefully, in September. Obviously, I am not a sane man.

GTUnit, randkin, UrbanHero and 4 others like this.
  3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mostly irrelevant - a corvette will never satisfy those who yearn for a ferrari...more likely to impact 360 and 430s will be 458, 488, f8 etc...

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  5. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
    All i keep hearing is it looks like a Ferrari lol.when you start seeing 15 a day they will definitely not be special Ferrari's are special! Im sure they will be a lease for $550 a month.they will be everywhere!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. FerrariAspiration

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Exclusivity & pedigree are the biggest differences for me. The C8 is a striking vehicle and it's amazing that it's <$60k starting for that much car. I don't regret my decision to buy a F430 just last week given the announcement though. What I will be more interested in is how these vehicles fare overall given that it seems like the current generation doesn't seem to value driving and the experience of driving like past generations. Uber, Lyft, etc... and without posters on their walls of dream cars. If that doesn't change, self driving cars could be a higher value than the pure driving experience of a gated manual supercar and that will eventually impact values. Just my 2 cents...

JazzyJay likes this.
  7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I would love for gated 360 prices to drop precipitously so I could get a Modena to go with my Spider. However I do not see it happening.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the c8 is not a pretty car.
    it is also not an aspirational purchase, it will be everywhere.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    For 100k 360 spider 6 speeds are worth the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    It will impact all f car purchase decisions equally. Imho

Anthony James, Caphill and VAF84 like this.
  11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Equally as in zero? Otherwise not sure what u mean.

12. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Let me start by saying I admire the car and feel it will sell like hot cakes..will it hurt our resale’s most likely not..
    There is only one Ferrari and people will pay a premium to own the original.
    Just my humble opinion..

Graz, Booker, Kevin T and 2 others like this.
  13. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I agree the C8 will impact a lot of low 100k sports cars - AMG GT/S/R, GT3, 911s, Cayman/boxster, i8, nissan GTR, Nsx, F type, Alfa 4C, BMW M, Audi RS, R8 etc., but dont think it will affect ferrari/lambo/mclaren. The badge and beautiful design weighs so much more than the performance. Corvette sells 20k units a year easy, the streets will be flooded with them. It will kinda look like a fancier 350z/G35s in the early 2000s, except the C8 is midengine which spices it up a bit. Also, 60k for a stripper car and by the time u are done with options, you might be looking at a 80-100k which makes it less of a value for a Chevrolet

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    This^^^^^^

Owners that already have a Ferrari might look at the C8 as a good add to the garage for the warranty, track time, targa roof, huge performance on the budget and similar mid-engine manners to their other car(s).

But if you have never bought a Ferrari - I think those people are still shooting for the dream.

I think it’s more a question of how many cars in your garage and what those should be than one marque or the other,

Robb

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's a pretty car. I'd have said it was a European exotic from that picture.

Lagunascorpio likes this.
  16. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Due to its current pricing I would like to add one to the garage and not replace. The vett could never replace or replicate the Ferrari feeling, heck none of the other manufacturers can. However for those that have already gotten their Ferrari fix may look at the C8 to potentially save money and have less headaches. Not that my Ferrari provides me any headaches but some owners obsess with this and rarely drive the cars because of it.

Porsche however will feel the impact of the C8 especially the 718 range. They have personally lost a sale from myself because of the release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil~ likes this.
  17. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I think he new C8 is awesome. I would never buy one because I’m not a Corvette guy. The C8 does however make me not want to buy any late model sports cars. How can Corvette deliver so much for so little? I’d feel stupid buying a $300k 488 that probably doesn’t perform as well as the C8. All luxury products have gotten silly IMO. The manufacturers have ridden the wave of this great economy to the point you have to wait in line to buy something at LV. I’m completely over it. When everyone has them they’re not cool anymore.

When I got to dinner in Miami I wear jeans and a black t shirt. Only the Chinese and wannabe rap guys wear head to toe brands. It didn’t used to be this way.

GTUnit, 808Forza, Oengus and 4 others like this.
  18. J30022

J30022 Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeff P
    I've never been a Vette guy and say what you will about the C8 but Chevy nailed the marketing and hype. I would think for most guys who are in the market for a Ferrari it won't make a difference but how many people buy a 360/F430 a year and what if a handful of those potential buyers buy a C8 instead? It won't take many people to have an affect on 360/F430 prices.

19. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In general, people don't cross-shop Ferraris and Corvettes. Also, good luck finding a C8 that is actually available for "under $60k."

ZigZag and TomAZ like this.
  20. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Corvettes never looked EXACTLY like Ferraris until now.

21. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’ll be selling my F430 by the end of the year once my F8 order is matched to an allocation and accepted by Ferrari. So I’ll find out first hand at that time.....

WJHMH and one4torque like this.
  22. Roger65

Roger65 Rookie

Aug 25, 2014
    The C8 is a great car and exceptional value. And I think they will be produced in sufficient numbers to avoid the 20% “dealer markup” that always plagues value cars like this. Hell I might even buy one some day.

But I don’t see people cross shopping this with a Ferrari. Most people who want a Ferrari will not settle for anything else. It is a name that is larger than life, almost a fantasy, like Rolls Royce. The word “Ferrari” has entered the language as a noun like “band aid” or “Q-tip” as a generic term for any similar item.

So even though the C8 is a terrific car, it’s not a real Ferrari.

MalcQV and ZA3879 like this.
  23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    There will be higher cost higher cache’ higher performance versions coming. This will be on the minds of all exotic shoppers. Imho

We are talking about it here quite a bit.

24. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I bought my 360 because it's a Ferrari. When I took her out for a cruise yesterday, she drove like a Ferrari with that flat plane V8 singing behind me and the European feel and handling holding me on the road. Like all of us, we could have bought a C5, C6 or a C7 when we bought our cars. We didn't. Personally I'm NOT that corvette guy.

Now for the real question... everyone is answering what they *think* others will do... What would YOU do? If they're the same price as a used 360.. would you trade your 360 or 430 for a new Vette? If the answer is yes, then others will make that decision too. If the answer is no, then a person with a similar set of values to you wouldn't either. I know if I go in any direction it's going to be another Porsche to the ones I own as a DD, and another Ferrari for a weekend car. IMHO anyone who considers a Vette over a used Ferrari was never going to buy the Ferrari in the first place. Just wait.. it'll be the same as when the C7 came out.. first one in town gets the crowd at C+C. In 6 months they'll be 7 or 8 in each parking lot. All driven by that middle aged guy with tude'.

25. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’ve owned many Corvettes over the years. For me here is the main problem with them: WOW cool Corvette, I gotta have one. 3 years later it’s worth less then half I paid for it, they are all over the place, and I find myself lusting for something else. Moving on with my F8 order....

docf, Oengus, Manda racing and 2 others like this.