308 very HOT | FerrariChat

308 very HOT

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robert Jorgensen, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Hey everybody, first time posting anything on this site but love all the helpful information on here. I just recently bought a 1983 308 QV GTS and it is like a dream come true. I have a couple concerns though. My oil temp gauge next to the shifter after around 15 minutes of driving is a little past 210 and my water temp gauge hovers right around 195. So I read the owners manual and this seems normal but when I park her, and go next to the engine, it feels very very HOT! Is this normal for a 308 or does anyone think that maybe the gauges are off? I just do not want to fry my motor. Thanks all :)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Thread moved to the appropriate section.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Robert Jorgensen likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Robert,

First of all welcome to Ferrarichat!

While you wait for more meaningful and insightful feedback than mine, let me congratulate you on your Ferrari, and say this:

I’ve never owned a 308 (unfortunately!), but had a Ferrari of roughly the same period: a Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet. Oil and water temps between 195 and 210 were normal and there was definately a bit of heat around the engine compartment, but it’s an italian V8 afterall.

Do you have the car’s complete or recent maintenance history? When was the last time fluids and filters were changed?

Wish you many miles of happiness behind the wheel. Enjoy in good health!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

newark_308 and Robert Jorgensen like this.
  4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    To get a true reading of actual heat, buy a heat sensor.
    The gauges are ok but have been know for inaccuracies.
    All my Italian cars feel hot after driving

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Those temps are normal. A lot of heat will come out of the engine lid vents - that's what they're there for. You've just acquired the best model Ferrari - go out and enjoy it!

6. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Thank you very much for the response and the congrats on my new purchase! I do have that history and an oil change was done right before I have the service records and the last 'Major Service' was done in 2016. Yeah I figured it was fairly normal for the back end to be really hot since the engine is back there lol. I just was not sure what is too hot. Once again, thank you and I hope to learn a lot and get deep into the hobby of driving and maintaining my Ferrari. Cheers!

7. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    I am starting to feel better already. I will keep my eye on it and am about to go on a long drive around Lake Tapps here in WA sate.
    I am starting to feel better already. I will keep my eye on it and am about to go on a long drive around Lake Tapps here in WA sate. Thank you for your reply and I am still in shock I finally own a 308. :)

8. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    And that is what I am going to do. Thank you for the input, much appreciated.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Post some pics of your car, thanks.

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It seems hot because of all of those vents letting the heat out. You've probably never owned a car with a bunch of open vents on the hood before so you're not used to it. The temps you posted are normal, enjoy yourself and stop worrying so much. ;-)

11. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Hahaha I think you are right. Took it for a nice drive today and the temps stayed the same. Thanks everyone for calming my nerves!

12. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
  13. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh man she looks clean and gorgeous, thanks so much for posting Robert:)

14. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
  15. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    You're welcome and thanks!!

16. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    I appreciate that! Doesn't get too much pettier than that :)

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I just wanted to add in, as I have had very fast Pontiacs and such, but when you walk away from a 308 and the hot exhaust is ticking and pinging and if you look quickly some stuff might glow, you think "WTF this is certainly different!"

But there's no dumb questions, and you do want to keep an eye on exhaust and cats and things as when they do start over cooking it goes bad quickly!!

You've done very well, the number of examples like you found has always been small.

18. Robert Jorgensen

May 14, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert Jorgensen
    Thank you much. I didn't notice if anything was glowing but it seems that could have been close haha. I can get used to the back end getting pretty hot, just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy in thinking that is normal. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

19. david bentley

david bentley Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Saint Louis Mo US
    Full Name:
    David bentley
  20. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #20 climb, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    No lack of heat around a 308’s engine. You’ll see the heatwaves waft in the rear view after parking. Open the hood and a heat wave will waft over your whole being. Just the way it is. Even with the side intakes and vent grills it gets less air than a front engined car and the exhaust heat isn’t spread the length of the car as a normal car is. Plus it’s lower than a normal car of today. Your standing above the heat. That’s my take anyway. Those who know more correct me if wrong. All good. The engine and exhaust are all right there. I like to open the hood and take in the heat and smell. Maybe a bit too much info but if I can’t confess that here than where can I dammit! :)Nothing like it. Compact, tight and hot! Beautiful car you got there. Enjoy.

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I have an '83 308QV. I've often recommended putting in some pies into the rear trunk and the aroma of them baking is wonderful! Dont look at the engine at night after a drive as the red exhaust sampling ports will give you pause.
    Want to see your temp numbers climb? Put on the A/C and stop for bumper-to-bumper traffic. There's lots of threads here on what to do if your car runs seemingly hot. Just become accustomed to her peculiarities :)

22. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Beautiful looking 308 you have. So delicate and pretty also next to all those big trucks in the pic. Enjoy!

23. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    One thing to watch is the radiator reservoir cap. My ex-308QV ran a bit hotter than I liked, and the next thing I knew, it was "puking" anti-freeze. A new cap did the trick (along with multiple bleedings).

If you see antifreeze on the ground, then you need to worry. Otherwise, as mentioned, gauges are guides. Also, there should be a FAQ or post about bleeding, but be careful doing the process.

Just my 2 cents.

James

thorn likes this.
  24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Which IS a consumable. If it's 4-6 yrs old, replace it.

25. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Bought my car 13 years ago with the old .09 bar radiator cap and tried to upgrade to the 1.1bar cap about five years ago but it started to leak through the over flow green hose, so I ended up putting back the .09 bar cap and it has been flawless as it has been for over 13 years now.