2019 Indy Car | Page 16 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Cement is real too . . .

2. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #377 Terra, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Haas would be below Rossi’s pay grade. On sheer driving merit, he really deserves Bottas’ seat at Mercedes. Or Seb’s seat at Ferrari. Or Gasly’s seat at Red Bull.

Rossi’s IndyCar career has truly showcased his immense talent. Formula One’s big loss (so far).

I also believe Colton Herta has a legitimate future in F1.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree on Rossi. when he came here I thought he was just another F1 reject; he's really impressed me.

Herta would make sense at Haas given his age, he can go do F1 a few years and if it works move up the ladder, if not come back here and have a nice career in IndyCar.

4. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I don't know how much allure F1 has for these guys anymore. Most of them grew up in the Red Bull era, only to be replaced with the Merc era and if you aren't in those seats it is so easy to just get thrown on the F1 scrap heap.

Stay in IndyCar, especially if you have a good seat like Rossi (and Herta as I would assume he's next up on Andretti's list), sure you won't make as much $ but your chances for a longer career are greater. Go to F1, two seasons with a mid-field team at best, try to come back to IndyCar only to discover there's no good seats left (Bourdais a good example of this....can challenge at a few races but not a serious championship team). Why take that risk?

If you assume in top level open wheel racing in the world (F1 and IndyCar) there's 20 paying seats available (~ 50% of each field), why roll the dice for a seat in F1 you know you will "just" be racing for points in when the top teams already have their junior programs and are more likely to take a promising 22 year old than a 30 year old they haven't spent millions on developing their entire life?

william and 375+ like this.
  5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I agree if I was in my 20s the only appeal of driving for a low level team in F1 would be the glamour aspect, the travel, the hobnobbing with celebrities in the paddock. But that gets old real quick when the best you can do is finish last or next to last every week.

6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    And we thank the dedicated doctors and surgeons that perform this type of needed work. If they didn't, you would have an entire population looking like Rosanne Barr.

I can do without that thank you!

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Excel sheet please:)

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Wow! I want some of whatever you're smoking.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Very good analysis of the difference of appeal between F1 and Indycar.
    To someone who wish to have a long career as a Professional driver, I would advise the Indy path over F1 anytime.
    F1 may sneer at Indycar all they want, it's a good series, IMO.

futureowner likes this.
  10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    You may wish to follow the Randy Lanier thread. He may be able to offer a viable solution to your needed request ! :p

lorenzobandini, 375+ and Terra like this.
  11. Yeah. Great "racing" (spelled s-h-o-w), but a technical bore; kinda' parallel to NASCAR vs (the old) IMSA/FIA sportscars. As always, however, to each his own.

Anywho....'time for Iowa. :)

Edit: Oh. :(
    Thank goodness for MMA and IMSA...... :)

12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The rain in Iowa . . . means IMSA repeats from Lime Rock.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    They're saying less than an hour til start...still drying it out as the rain (only a little by the end) stopped only 20 minutes ago.

14. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Ooof. I couldn't stay up. Not sure my DVR recorded it. Watched the highlights...did Will Power get a penalty for that pit entry? Dooh!!

375+ likes this.
  15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I had assumed that the Iowa Indy Car race was rained out and they'd do it today (Sunday)
    instead. NBCS is repeating it right?

The IMSA Lime Rock race was enjoyable. Like the GTLM and GTD only format, it was fun
    to watch.

BHW

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I watched it until about 0100 EDT, then went to bed forgetting to record it:rolleyes:. I wonder why Rossi faded so much. I think he was about fourth for a long time.

17. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I feel asleep probably around lap 100...too late for me I guess. I had been up since around 4am Saturday.

18. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Good to see Marco doing well at Iowa......it's such a shame that he continues to occupy a seat that a
    younger driver on his way up could fill. What a joke that Marco has become and he really is hurting
    the team as Rossi has no one on the team to take away points from the other Penske drivers except
    RHR every once and a while...

19. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    The privleges of wealth and family notoriety. How many talented drivers are overlooked in this series? Hence one of many reasons that contrived parity lawn mower racing is not being accepted by the general public. When the names and the outcomes are the same week in and week out, you find that observing other forms of entertainment to be more fulfilling . I find the observation of sweater puppies to offer a far greater effect than the current platform of Indy Car.

Your opinion may vary.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  20. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    That tells you how bad F- 1 is at the moment when Indy Car is twice as exciting...….

Nortonious likes this.
  21. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Hey his father owns the team so its up to him to put Marco out of his misery

pilotoCS likes this.
  22. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Looks like Newgarden is on his way to another championship.

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Blood is thicker than water.

24. #400 lorenzobandini, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    How dare you offer life's lessons on the ParityCar board..... :p (btw, is that those silly sweaters on lap dogs?.....Ooooohhhhhhh......:oops:)
    Yeah, if you enjoy watching someone roll the dice.....'pull a number out of a hat.....or whatever.
    At least there's ten different car and engine combos to watch as opposed to two. Parity exists in the rules in any series. Excel. It's auto racing, not foot racing (oh wait...different sneakers and shorts.....not "fair"....what to do???).
    That which floats one's boat, of course. ;)

Again, a shame Iowa was not what it coulda'/shoulda' been. :(