Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    You are 100% correct. Chevy built what we wanted the new NSX to be. Unfortunately it came with GM styling.

2. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    I really don't understand GM's marketing people. That car looks so much better "cleaner" with the integrated scoop color and no rear wing. Why they keep pushing the ugly version I do not know.

The black parts are what they call "carbon black". Its looks like metal flake black paint to me. Cheap looking.

The tail however is a basketcase. Looks like a Honda Civic.

anunakki and boxerman like this.
  3. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Won't hurt Ferrari used sales. Those are already suffering from perceived ownership expenses. And the pricing. I mean, in a few years I might stretch to a 348 from where I am now but then the idea of an engine out service... They just have a reputation for being expensive mistresses. So that just helps keeping people like me away. But if you got the money and can take the expenses...

That aside, I'd take a used F430 over the C8. It's not all about the performance numbers anymore.

As always though, I hope the C8 pushes prices of the alternatives down so I can eventually benefit

4. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I think it will hurt Ferrari used sales a bit, at least the 360/430 models. There aren't many mid-engined high performance cars for under $100k that you can buy besides those 3, some Gallardos and the R8. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others but the point is, if I have 70k to spend a car I'd rather get this since it will be much cheaper to maintain and the performance will be better than the used options. Sure that doesn't mean everything when comparing but when you're facing an $8k clutch repair bill you might do a double take.

Some potential buyers won't care and will still go for the Ferrari but there will definitely be a good amount who won't.

5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    You are really hung up on what your car's image does for YOUR image....

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I was wrong on a few details (based on spy photos and photoshopped images) but sent a corrected design critique out, I'll post where it runs. One question, though. I can only find one picture of the convertible with the top down, and I fail to see from Motor Trend's shot where the top goes.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/we-see-you-2020-chevrolet-corvette-convertible-teased/

(they won't let you copy the picture, trick technology)

In the Motor Trend photo, the top is down but the rear deck is still covered (with a humungous hood scoop facing rearward). So why can't they show the engine if the folded top is not over it? And how many months later is the convertible being introduced?

greg328 likes this.
  7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Ummm Firefox has had a built in screen shot tool for some time. Right click and screen shot or click the "..." ellipse to the right of you address bar to screen shot. Worked fine for me. You can save to where ever with no firefox account needed.

8. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    The blogs are going crazy. Lol. I've never heard of chevy making a MR car. Why would honda miss the mark with the NSX... We will see how this does.

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    The more I look at it the more I like it .. If it has the performance they are talking about and decent build quality which I believe it will ... then start out at under 60 K so maybe decently equipped for around 80k it will be a heck of a car and I will have one in my garage.... really like the upgraded interior in Tan or natural ...... while it may not be a Ferrari of course it sure will be an amazing car for the dollar...

11. Rrsperry

Rrsperry Rookie

May 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Sperry
    Well I was looking to replace my C7 Z51 with a 360, or a 430... eh... no... I got on the wait list for a C8

Front end lift, mag ride, 2 golf bags in the trunk, full factory warranty 5 year power train , where if it breaks, you can fix it anywhere with a rock...

360, 430... sticky buttons, really expensive service and part..

See ya...

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    LightGuy and thecarreaper like this.
  13. Rrsperry

Rrsperry Rookie

May 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Sperry
    I love my Long Beach Red metallic. It’s going to great on the C8.

14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    The vette will surely be great, i for one, simply wouldn't buy one because i don't wanna be a "vette" guy...yes, call me silly, but i've always felt they were a bit trashy i don't know why, especially thorough the 80's - mid 200's the last vette that came out was really nice & was a shift to a more classy audience..but still, i won't be a vette guy

15. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    That's a great angle, and really shows how much better the rear looks without the Z51 wing. I really don't know what they were thinking with that...

16. Rrsperry

Rrsperry Rookie

May 4, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Sperry
    Well, I know what you mean about Vette guys. But, so are some BMW and Porsche, and Ferrari guys...

I make that work, by not being around them... I really enjoy my vette.

17. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Suspect reason for the fixed wing was extra expense for integration and auto deployment at various speeds.

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Any type of xxxx_guy001 are annoying. Harley_Guy is annoying, but not some random guy enjoying his Harley. Same goes for anyone or anything else.

19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  20. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I don't think it is going to hurt MANUAL mid engined Ferraris. I think there will be enough people left who truly value that level of involvement, performance be damned, willing to pony up. In my opinion, NO amount of extra performance can replace that sensation (as much as I enjoy my 575, but that's a very different steer). Very special.

I think it starts getting a little iffy with the newer, paddle-only market. I myself, a huge Ferrari nut, have been thinking, "Would I really pay a premium to own a 458 or just buy one of these with the Z51 package and have some good old 'cheap' fun?" There will always be the "look at me's" who just want the horsey, so some will of course continue to sell based on that, but I don't see it doing good things for the F1 360-488. F8 is still new enough to have an advantage, and let's face it, that's going to be a fantastic car for the people who can afford it.

CAVEAT - For the real enthusiast, it is still going to come down to the drive. If this thing is numb and uninspiring and drives like a wet contractor's bag, no one except the hard core Corvette folks will give a crap where the engine sits or how quickly it gets to 60MPH. In that case, used F cars will be just fine. I'm not saying I want it to go that way, but I think that is a distinct possibility. There's a level of sensation that Corvette has historically failed to capture. I've owned two, and I didn't hate them at all. Just not nearly the same feel and experience.

boxerman likes this.
  21. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    My opinion is that the past practices of Ferrari dealers--like charging several thousand to remove an engine--will catch up with them if the Chevy dealer are doing things on the C8 for a fraction of the price. The top of the line 2020 Corvette will go 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds, more than a secod faster than a 427 Cobra. I agree with the ref. to Corvette owners--when i used to go to Corvette events 5 decades ago they would have national conventions where they tossed water balloons at night in the hotel.But when i began to hang with the ferrari crowd, they were more mature, more aware of the big picture.Thats why Chevy is not bothering to reach out to the guys who like the Corvettes of the first 40 years (the front engined crowd were even hoping they would keep the front engined one in production for a while even with the c8 being made). Chevrolet wants to cater to a more youthful crowd in their 40s, with a higher income who will have gatherings that are more like the Ferrari gatherings. No water baloons.

thecarreaper likes this.
  22. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    I have taken a few days to digest this car. I played with the configuration website, stared at it from all angles, and watched several videos made after the debut by auto bloggers on YouTube.
    My take: This car is a big deal. A really big deal. It is a Corvette in name only. I want to find a reason why anyone would choose a used Ferrari or new 911 over this, and I simply can’t. The used 360 and F430 market (which is really soft to begin with) will feel this car for sure.

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This car has me very intrigued and I agree it’s a huge deal. Probably biggest deal sports car to come out since the 458, or maybe it’s greater. One could argue. What I struggle with though is obviously I’d want the Z51 package but I prefer the clean looks without the wing. It will depreciate of course and the thought of getting one and paying an extra $30k through depreciation for the Z06 which I’d want and eventually the Zora (top level hybrid) has me sitting on the fence for this one. My other issue is I just bought an M5C which is insanely quick and I don’t like the idea of my sedan demolishing my new sport car in a race.

But the looks, performance, materials and price make this car a BFD. I figure my ideal spec would come in around $85k. Crazy for a car I think is as good looking as a 488 and 90+% of the way there in terms of usable performance.

Boomhauer and Thecadster like this.
  24. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Please try a 2008 or later z51, Grand Sport AND Z06. You WILL be impressed. I have a lowly 2006 z51, it really is a great car and they just keep getting better.

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    will someone please photoshop one for me in blu Tour de France .