Randy Lanier "Smoked" Podcast | FerrariChat

Randy Lanier "Smoked" Podcast

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he got out of prison about 4 years ago. interesting that he'll be selling Preston's collection.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Is representing Henn's collection...

BHW

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    same difference. I wouldn't be giving that job to an ex-con drug dealer but hey, not my cars :p

rdefabri and Jack-the-lad like this.
  5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #5 Jack-the-lad, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Agree. I wonder if this was Betty's decision and who might have influenced her. I can think of, oh, a couple of hundred others who would be better suited......

edit

375+ and GuyIncognito like this.
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just listened to Part 1 of the podcast.

It is well done so far. There are five parts total.

BHW

7. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    What's the problem with this? IMSA owes its very life in the 70's to the party pharma industry. Try running a Kremer K3 on a 70's sponsorship. God bless those that kept the ship afloat.

william and normv like this.
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #8 BartonWorkman, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    International Marijuana Smuggling Association.

Remember this era well when the Whittington Brothers and later Randy Lanier suddenly showed up
    running primo equipment at Daytona, Miami and Sebring. There were also a number of Central and
    South American teams that were regulars at the Florida events that were a bit shady.

These podcasts are bringing a lot of it back. Lanier was doing a lot of running with the Whittingtons
    but, of course, we fans weren't privy to what was going on behind the scenes. These were also
    the days of the "Cocaine Cowboys" in South Florida when the violence escalated to the point where
    Reagan and Bush figured out how to increase their under-the-table profits and intervene and the "War on Drugs" started in earnest.

High profile guys like Lanier, the Pauls and the Whittingtons had to be made examples of and suddenly
    they didn't have any friends in the racing business. The draconian mandatory sentencing laws changed
    overnight and what to that point was punished my a slap on the wrist turned into thirty year sentences
    without chance of parole.

I'm only in the early portions of the podcast but it's looking as though the point of this from the POV of
    the Miami Herald is now that these laws are relaxing and there are now literally drive through marijuana
    dispensaries in South Florida, guys like Lanier who got caught up in the hysteria essentially lost a major
    portion of their lives in prison.

BHW

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Like the fox guarding the hen house...but as you said - not my cars.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm surprised the trustees/executors/estate attorneys are cool that an ex con with no experience liquidating a nine figure car collection is on the job but whatever. hashtag Florida.

rdefabri likes this.
  11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Would it be possible that Mr Henn made such arrangements prior to his passing that Mr Lanier be not only employed but repayed for his dealings in said illegal activities. The ill gotten booty of smuggling ran quite far up the line of wealthy individuals. I remember in the movie "Blow" Johhny Depp's charcter walking into a house that had cash from floor to ceiling. Maybe we do not know all of the dealings of the late Mr Henn. Pawn shops are not exactly above board either.

GuyIncognito and rdefabri like this.
  12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yep probably some truth there...

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Swap Shop, not a pawn shop. I'm pretty sure Preston was squeaky clean. He did an enormous amount of legitimate cash business in his swap shop operations. A lot of IRS and state tax authority scrutiny comes with that.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I had many chats with Preston starting when I did my 1994 two part article on 275 GTB/C/LM #6885 for Cavallino and once he told me how at a speedboat race he figured out he was the only one there with legitimate money...went to his beachfront house twice, once with Al Roberts to photograph 6885 for a Japanese Ferrari magazine, he combined luck of having put his finger on an amazing money pump with running it very smartly. He had to keep a tight leash on a lot of the people selling through his premises and I remember there was some friction but the vendors were the problem not him. It always seemed a bit surreal to see such important cars just sitting in that facility. Last time I spoke with him is when I drove his ex 512BBLM with Porsche 935 brakes for a Classic & Sports car article in 2011, he had fond memories of it, of starting from a low qualifying position at LM and being amazed by its top speed passing lots of people on the then uninterrupted Mulsanne...one surreal moment is when we met at Moroso circuit entrance during a Cavallino Classic, one leaving one arriving I was in my KHamsin, he in his MC12! He had very simple origins yet was always gracious, a unique character.

of2worlds and Jack-the-lad like this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Amen.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Nembo1777 and of2worlds like this.
  17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Would you consider Mr Henn a private person when it came to his personal affairs? Based uponhe pocasts it would appear that he knew of Mr Lanier's matters yet retained a friendship with him despite the legality of it. I can only say that Randy Lanier was only guilty of one thing,. We are all guilty of it. Those that love racing, those that love these cars, those that love the life style are simply adrenalin junkies. As i walked past the Whittington trailer years ago and saw the shiney hardware, i only could think of one thing ... what the hell was i doing wrong? Randy Lanier did what most of us should have done, he took the final step. Good or bad, he lived life on the razors edge . That has to be the biggest rush you can get. Because in the end, all of this stays here. We don't take any of it with us.

Adrian Thompson and of2worlds like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #18 Nembo1777, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    I can't claim to have known him based on some chats through the years.
    I am sure he knew what Lanier, the Whittington brothers, the Pauls were up to but that does not mean that you can't be if not friends then at least buddies with them. I would think that was the case with Lanier and Preston, though I am really surprised he or his family specified that Lanier was to sell the cars...
    I have encountered my fair share of scoundrels and none more than Europeans in Florida where there are many good ones and a few really bad ones. Being a European there myself they tried to befriend me to pull con jobs but I somehow sussed them out each time. It was interesting to see how their minds worked which is why I spoke to half a dozen of them many times but always kept them at arms length.

I could tell a few stories but prefer not to except a few examples, one worked in a restaurant at the Breakers in Palm Beach where I used to go dine once in a while and he tried to pull me into a cosmetics investment scam, before he realized that even though I came from an old European family and dined at the Breakers it did not mean there was a fortune and there wasn't I never said there was but in his own hopeful cupidity he was eager to believe there was (reminds me of a Russian gold digger who had also worked up her hopes and disappeared when I told her the money was long gone :)).

Another claimed he wanted to buy an F1 car I was representing (those who know please don't mention which ok Barton;-)). This Hungarian told me he had bought the star lot of the Concorde Bonhams (or Brooks as they were called then) early 2000's auction which was a Concorde nose. As soon as he left I immediately called the London office got ahold of the auction manager gave him the names of the people I knew at Brooks/Bonhams and sure enough just as I expected he told me right away the guy had never paid for the nose...I then sold the car to the Indy museum.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    You know in Florida we say it’s a sunny place for shady people.

of2worlds and Nembo1777 like this.
  20. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It’s an odd deal because the Swap Shop car collection was technically a dealership- that’s probably why it was open like it was. So, who owned the dealer license? Preston?

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    A lot of collectors have dealer licenses to get around paying sales tax. In the case of Swap Shop
    it probably depended on how they have/had the cars and place insured.

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I understand.
    I understand. I also care not to reveal certain matters. I will say this...i worked for a gentlemen in the music industry for a few years. I learned a phrase that seems it may have relevance. ...." just a little taste". It seems to find its way into deals of this making. Maybe several people got a" little taste "of what Mr Lanier was doing. Not enough to bring notice, but enough to line their pockets with a little more than usual. If i can borrow 100k and get 2mill in return....that may be just a little taste. Risk management is part of any business. Hence 5 close "investors" each receives a taste without anyone getting seriously noticed or drained of resources. Deals do go bad sometimes.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Interesting, who knows, RIP Preston.

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Seems as though Henn had a knack for taking in these guys and giving them jobs at
    Swap Shop when they got out of prison.

BHW