Carb BB major service labor | FerrariChat

Carb BB major service labor

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wrcimprezza, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrcimprezza

wrcimprezza Karting

Apr 26, 2011
    I'm coming up to my first major service - timing belts and all. How many shop hours is reasonable?

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day wrcimprezza,

It is really tough to say, as it entirely depends on your "and all" portion of your statement. For certain the engine will come out and this has taken me between 6-7 hours to do (+ a bit more to put the engine back in). As for the belts replacement... This is straightforward, however, at the same time valve clearances are checked, valve timing checked, as well as gaskets, seals,hoses checked/replaced, replating of hardware, rebuilding of water pump, etc... and depending on how well the car was maintained and its last services there could be other items needing attention (clutch, suspension, brakes, etc).

Cheers,

Sam

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    shop hours or doing by yourself?
    a lot of work is cleaning the old parts :(

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I generally pull the engine - though it takes me longer than Sam. :) Put it on a pallet, drive it to Atlanta to have one of the experts there do belts, cam timing and valves. While its in Atlanta, I clean, detail and order what ever small parts I need. I like doing it this way. Its cost effective, lets me take my time doing something I love, and lets me pay the mechanic for his expertise.

I have a lift and would not do it with out one. Take lots of pictures. A couple months later putting it back together they will be indispensable for routing issues.

Once in the mechanics hands, I think the service was only a couple thousand dollars - from memory which could be faulty.

Drew

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    Not sure how many hours but I’d plan for $10K and hope it’s stays less then $15K. The belt service is just the minimum and things will be found.

How are yours carbs? The wear between the throttle shaft and casting is a real issue and isn’t cheap to fix. That being said after having Pierce Manifold restore mine the car runs much better.

6. wrcimprezza

wrcimprezza Karting

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks for your replies guys. I certainly won't be attempting this myself, I plan on using a recognised independent garage and was wondering how many hours they charge for a routine service plus engine out belts change.

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    40ish hrs is pretty common if you are starting with a routine no issue car. Similar to what Samsaprunoff mentioned.

The rest is up to you when you get there. If you need a new clutch? Change your exhaust? Your a/c needs service .... need new gas filters, and or theromostates if 20 yrs old , then all bets are off on the 40 hrs.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Agreed, 40hrs is the standard plus parts and it never ends there.

turbo-joe and MS250 like this.