Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    ;Sorry, have to base my desgn criticism on pictures. All I reallly need to know is: What's in that black area below the rear window? A perforated section that lets out hot air? And can you see the engine from leaning over the fender, as on certain Ferraris? Tomorrow I'll be revisionist once I've seen pictures of the actual car but like to hear opinions from pro designers and scholarly fans.

DESIGN ANALYSIS:

SIDE: Big mistake to put the leading edge of the side scoops in plastic. Why? Because it looks cheap. And they made it so wide that to replace it with a chrome aftermarket piece ( which will no doubt be available within weeks…) will look too flash. Maybe with stainless steel, though….Wheels are tasteful, will not detract from the overall design by being too glitzey all on their own.

REAR: The rear spoiler is one of the biggest mistakes. It looks like a suspension bridge that was poorly engineered and sagged in the middle before it opened for traffic. Maybe they could have just had a ducktail molded into the rear deck. Or a spoiler that rises automatically when you went over a certain mph (as did the Chrysler Crossfire four cylinder version)

The rear –what would you call them—hot air exhaust vents (not for the exhaust pipes though) are tastefully not overly large. When they are too large it looks too much like look-at-me-ma-I’m-a-race car.

The round exhaust pipes are more like Ferrari, makes me wonder if there will be an Ansa exhaust from Italy for this car? That would add a touch of class.

The taillights are disappointing, horizontal units right out of the Camaro reject pile. Why not a single round one per side, like, say , certain Ferraris? Why make an expensive car look like a mass produced one from the same brand that’s one third the price?

The dip at the bottom of the rear window is really unfortunate. Since I didn’t see the car in person I can’t see if the area below the glass is porous, to let out hot air from the engine compartment, but with the vee-shape, of the bottom of the rear window, it looks too overly feminine (can we say that in the Me Too era?)

FRONT: A plethora of character lines in the front bonnet when say either the V-shaped ones or the center mound would have been OK by themselves. The shiny bar across the front intake holes (the intakes probably for subsidiary radiators) helps reduce the scoops-stolen-from-a jet fighter look. Jet fighters don't have chrome, last I looked.

IN SUM: Good for a first try at a production mid-engined Corvette. Not great, and conservative really, breaking no new ground whatsoever. But thank our lucky stars they went for a targa roof because as a coupe, it doesn’t have that much to offer against an open Ferrari. But since this is an open car and a lot of Ferraris are open cars there will be precious little separating the 2020 Corvettes from Ferraris except the Ferraris will be three times as much
    (The 488 Spider will be replaced when the F8 Tributo Spider is announced, but for now it is Ferrari's V8 powered mid-engined spyder. at $280,900)

PS Some want to know credentials of a critic; Suffice to say I've written 18 automotive books, three on Ferrari, have owned two, bought and sold more, and include friendships among many designers including ones I met in my native Detroit.

VAF84 likes this.
  2. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I can see all the black parts being carbon fiber. It's the hot thing this generation =D

3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    this is a big move for the corvette .. it has been talked about thought about and even rumored many times before and now here it is and as a fan of corvettes I hope it is a great car I am sure it will sell .. I hear the interior has been upgraded which has always been a weak spot lets hope so .... either way I will probably get one eventually good fun...

VAF84 likes this.
  4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Too many buttons on that bridge thing between the console and dash.

WJHMH likes this.
  5. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    #31 TomAZ, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Personally I think it’ll make owning a Ferrari more special and boost prices. Do you want to rock up to a beautiful restaurant in a Corvette with an arse like a Camaro or a beautifully crafted piece of Italian racing heritage sporting the iconic prancing horse...I know what’ll turn heads

Also being a prior owner of a Corvette, I can absolutely vouch for the benign feeling of driving one compared to a Ferrari.

I’ve been told front engine Corvettes will be available in their droves and you should be able to pick one up with high school lunch money.

Maybe the only price effect will be old Corvettes.

Do true Corvette enthusiasts crave the mid engine experience?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ryan S. likes this.
  6. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Extremely bad user interface...

7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ya I don’t think it’s boosting fezza prices at all but I also don’t think it’s hurting them. As a guy who has owned an NSX, Bentley, rolls, Fezza, M5 etc I can tell you girls will ALWAYS prioritize labels. Who cares?

Rags747 and VAF84 like this.
  8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

While there are some obvious design issues that could be better such as the taillights, I think we need to remember that this car will have some sacrifices made to maintain a low cost entry point. If the price is right, these things can be overlooked. Just a few more min for the reveal!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Well, the Vette looks good. ... There will be some who will choose it over a used V8 Ferrari. I don't think it will be changing the used Ferrari V8 market though. They're both pretty distinctive brands. And one is probably not a good substitute for the other.

It isn't evoking any strong feelings for me. And I'm beginning to forgive it the rear end treatment. .... I'm happy for them though.

10. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    C8 looks great in my opinion, at least as far as the masses are concerned. Its value is unmatched and nobody can come even close. I expect C6 and C7 values to go down 5-10k pretty quickly.

one4torque likes this.
  11. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    A good 360 6 speed coupe would be a good alternative. Not as fast but prettier and probably more fun. The best thing about the vette is you can take it anywhere and not worry about it.

Robb likes this.
  12. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Looks pretty good in dark silver. Looks SO MUCH BETTER without that wing at the back!

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    looks nice to me.... and amazing under 3 seconds zero to 60 not bad for under 60k....

Rags747 likes this.
  14. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Love the look ! This will be a game changer!

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #43 johnk..., Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Wow, that top photo is close to how I configured "mine". I'll wait a year or two until the dust settles and then, perhaps, bye bye 355. This could really hurt the 360, 430 market. But with Ferrari, you always had to want a Ferrari to buy a Ferrari. Ferraris really don't make a lot of sense. Never did.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

No rear spoiler...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am working on my order today, I love it. I am going to have lots of fun making it even better, at least better for me.

17. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Looks like a home run for GM and car enthusiasts to me. 0-60 under 3 seconds, 3,366lbs, 8speed DCT and full warranty for 3/36 or is it 4/48 all for under $60k or $80k nicely equipped. I think in the flesh it will look fantastic.

k wright likes this.
  18. 78bonanza

78bonanza Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Cear
    I am fortunate to have both brands.
    Both are great cars . Motivations to own either , for me, are completely different.
    What GM can achieve continues to amaze me.
    Congratulations to them , well deserved .

19. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is what I wanted from Honda with the next NSX $60 to $80k for a mid-engine car that you could drive every day and rack up 150,000 miles without worrying about using the car. Honda missed this boat with its $200k NSX, Corvette learned the lesson (give us a cheap daily driver) so i don't have to ruin a Ferrari's value by putting miles on it. ;)

20. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Good looking car, think the interior design is a fail however. We’ll see what the price point is, impressive if the car is indeed sub 3 sec 0-60 with only 495 HP.

LARRYH and mikelfrance like this.
  21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Agree! I want one to make a racecar. But even as a track toy vette is winning. On vette forum tadge was listening to us! Sport seats with cut out for submarine belt! A "Z" mode that is a user programmable for specific track programming! GPS enabled 2" front lift for speedbumps!

sainthoo and Dragster like this.
  22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I was also noting the rear trunk space design. Was gm smart enough to make that removable for more traditional front engine- like access and top engine removal? If so that is huge for chassis stiffness vs. Engine out or under chassis access for so many things on Ferrari mid engine cars