Daytona restoration. | FerrariChat

Daytona restoration.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by kmartin, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kmartin

kmartin Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    No.Va
    I was preparing to have White Post Restorations redo my Daytona. I have been strongly urged to consider David Carte. I cannot find my about their work online. Anyone had any experience with his work? I live in Virginia so having a shop reasonably close is relevant. Of course I have been told some crazy dollar amounts. Feedback?

NYC Fred, of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    David is one of the very best in the business--top quality work and honest. He has restored cars for famous collections and the cars have been honored in concours around the world. He's right in your backyard.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    David is as good as it gets.
    malcolm

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I have a friend who has had about half a dozen cars done by Carte. He won't go anywhere else. It looks like you're in the general area so a visit would be a good idea.

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  5. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    David did everything on my car except the power train which I did. The car was 100 points at Pebble Beach and took the Enzo trophy for best Ferrari on the field in 2008. Also Best of show at FCA National and Cavallino judged 100 points several times. You might have to wait in line however for the very best.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a6evpt1sgnn4l3/_MG_6586 OLD 4S RULE-01mid.jpg?dl=0

Best regards,

Robert

cls, Nuvolari, JoeTSI and 3 others like this.
  6. kmartin

kmartin Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    No.Va
    My mechanic reached out to David. They are not taking new business for "quite some time".
    I have a second home in Fla. and their is a Creative Workshop in Dania Beach.

7. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Mr Martin.
    Just out of curiosity, how intense a restoration are you planning?
    Paint up from bare metal?
    Interior?
    Drivetrain rebuild?
    How many miles are on the car?

The reason for my questions is that the Daytona drivetrain is very rugged and you may just need minimal work - clutch, seals, carb rebuild and/or other minor attention.
    For example, a Daytona clutch/pressure plate was installed on my GTC before I purchased it (40,000 miles) and it showed very little wear after 125,000 miles.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    A neighbor had to take a car out of there because he was not happy with the progress on his car. To be fair I don't know if that was under the original ownership or the people who bought the business about 10 years ago.

9. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    If David can’t do the car there are a couple of other shops in Northern Virginia area. Dew Motors, Chuck Wray. There is Classic Coach in Elizabeth, NJ.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Dew and Chuck Wray parted company awhile ago. Dew no longer does customer work, in house only; Chuck has his own shop. You might consider Leydon Restorations in Lahaska, PA. www.leydonrestorations.com
    (no commercial affiliation)

11. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Was referring to Dew and Chuck as 2 separate options. Wasn’t sure if Dew was still taking on some outside work besides restoring Lammot’s cars. Leydon is excellent.

375+ likes this.
  12. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    GTM and SON in Greenville did a great job on my 275, they are straight shooters and extremely competent . Ask for GREGORY. They are busy and have a wait list, only way to know is to call.
    Malcolm
    As a matter of curiosity, what are you budgeting?

of2worlds likes this.
  13. kmartin

kmartin Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    No.Va
    I was hoping to keep it under 200k

14. kmartin

kmartin Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    No.Va
    I have heard some crazy numbers. I have been ballparked from 100k + to 350k.I know a lot can come up but these numbers are all over the place.

15. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    What you haven’t heard “Time and Materials “?

16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    What does it need? You aren't going to get a complete restoration by an experienced Ferrari restorer for $200K IMO. Restorations are always more expensive than your original target.

Rifledriver and of2worlds like this.
  17. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    David Carte, one of the best... did a friends 365 gts..spectacular, now restoring his 4 cam...long wait but worth it..get what you pay for..
    Chuck Wray..very knowledgeable and honest spent part of the weekend with him in this years Cavallino he services my neighbors 250 TR and 250 TDF
    ( which he was baby sitting at (Cavallino) Very knowledgeable with Daytonas
    Might help if you mentioned what you want to accomplish with the restoration? Any pics of your car?
    I’ve owned my Daytona for 20 years now and have learned you cannot be in a hurry and cannot be overly concerned about the cost.
    My 2 cents worth
    Chuck Coli

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Fontana

Fontana Karting

Dec 30, 2006
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Peter Markowski
    You could do a mechanical restoration with some detailing for $150K or so but if you want to do cosmetic work, its impossible to do both for $200K. You could do just the body and interior and some other detailing for $200K. My shop just finished a ton of work on 2 Daytonas and have room to start another job as a few cars are at the upholstery shop being finished. We love working on Daytonas. Let me know if you need help.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    steve markowski, RPM, would be an excellent choice. They are competent, fair and nice guys.

readplays likes this.
  20. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Ditto what Malcom’s said. Steve and his dad, Peter Markowski, have done a ton of absolute first-rate work on my Daytona over the last 10 years.

21. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I highly recommend David Carte, He does excellent work, it is worth waiting for. I would also discourage you from using White Post.
    You are not going to be able to do a complete restoration on a Daytona for under $200k, unless you want a 20 ft car that doesn't work/run well.
    Plan on $350-400k for a Pebble Beach restoration where the car runs like new and everything works.

turbo-joe and 375+ like this.
  22. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Restoration-a word which means many things to many people: all different I'm afraid...This is a 50 year old CAR-do NOT lose sight of this...

WHAT is your goal at the end of the journey?
    A pretty car which looks outstanding, and that you can DRIVE every weekend?
    Or, a car which is soooo perfect that: you can do 100K worth of "cosmetic" damage in a casual drive from SF to LA at a modest 80-100MPH?
    Or, a car which looks "decent", but you can hop in it a run from NYC to LA, non-stop, at 125MPH+, ???
    ALL are different cars, with focus of funding spent on differing areas-for obvious reasons.....
    True, honest and legitimate questiuons...ALL having extremely significant impact on COSTS...

Time and materials is not an uncommon statement simply BECAUSE: NOBODY has x-ray vision-meaning we CAN"t see inside/underneath UNTIL its stripped, cleaned and metals have been "qualified" .
    Contrary to the "marketplace": it is NOT an indication of not having any experience-to the contrary-it means the practiontioner KNOWS that you cannot quote accurately WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW!
    This addresses ONLY the ravages of time issues, and NOT the age old issue of incompetent practioners of the trades/crafts over the last 50 years of the aforementioned life span factor-in my experience, the are NO more Ferrari virgins-in the real world-after the age of 50 , and such must be additionallly expected/factored into on an unanticipated cost basis....
    Nearly all "ball park" quotes are just that, mostly to get the car in the door-as numerous other posters have said: It almost ALWAYS costs more(the x-ray vision issue rearing its ugly truthful head again here) than: "what you thought when you started this adventure" .
    Be wary of "the experts"-as everyone has one or knows one-just take the, manufacturers!
    As an example! There are countless examples of: "Classsiche, Heritage, Vintage, yadda, yadda, yadda" all staffed by guys whose FATHERS were still getting snot wiped from their noses by mommy when a Daytona was a 75-9500 dollar used car!
    I am by no means bitter-I have owned more than my share of bitchin' vintage racing Ferraris in my life, and with more barn stories than all but a handful of other site members-I was merely born in the era just after the golden era of racing, and just before the manipulation of federal interest rates by Volker shifted our economy for ever......I say this as a casual caveat as whenever you are talking about discretionary spending oin sums exceeding the median home prices in america-there will be people ardently attempting to releive you of said funds by the use of a glittering object-I hope the metaphor is not too obtuse/heavyhanded
    Lastly: DAYTONAS-These cars are made in various stages(Daytonas), and for varying markets such that multiple subvariants exist-ALL have peculiarities and hi cost areas of thier own...To be "correct": an appeciation for these factors must not only be appreciated-but KNOWN....

The BEST advice to you is FIRST: educaate yourself(as in unquestioned EXPERT) such that you will KNOW immediately when interviewing a perspective shop-who is talking wampum, and who is blowing smoke up your tailpipe...patience is A VIRTUE when dealing with vintage Ferraris: we have a saying in the shop: "measure 5 times(not twice), and cut correctly, the FIRST and only time..."
    Since you have achieved in life the ability to undertake such an endeavour, I woulkd advise you to wait, learn and once comfortable with the nomenclature, then proceed-yoyr car(unless dead in the water) will wait until you have arrived at a more comfortable and informed decision

Happy hunting
    and
    Ve Ri Tas

23. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I had a very original Daytona. Had not been messed with. I remember looking as deeply as I could into it. And the frame was showing signs of age. The "metal" as was mentioned above, was "old" and showing signs of deterioration in places. I think there was even some electrolysis in places.

I remember thinking, that I had a very strong car mechanically, in all it's functions. A real delight. ... But if I was ever to restore it. It would mean taking it down to the frame. And I was not prepared to do that. ... The party that I sold it to, did that I believe. As he sent it to one of the absolute best names in the business. And there are many very good names in the business.

Good advice above. Take your time. ... Look deeply. And take your time.

The frame, and the mounting of the body were the only real issues for my old car.

Best wishes for you and your car.

24. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Stan, i’m in Richmond , how long have you had your Daytona? Can you pm me ,Chuck

25. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Again, Mr Martin - how many miles are on the car?

Bb Z.