What is Weber float level please | FerrariChat

What is Weber float level please

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Dazanz, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I have spent a lot of time searching already.
    I want to set my float levels correctly and would like to know what the dimension should be between the gasket and brass floats in my 365GT4 2+2
    At the moment it's 4.5mm and the car runs very rich but I have been told 9mm is standard but set to 10mm because the fuel is unleaded now

Thanks for any help and a photo of the recommended settings would be excellent if possible
    Cheers Daren

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #2 samsaprunoff, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Good day Daren,

Here is a page from the C4's workshop manual that may help.

Also, the fuel formulations are quite a bit different now than the 70's and so it would not be unheard of to tweak the float levels (and jets) to compensate. On my BB I had to lower the float levels so as to delay the main circuit and this is helping my rich condition a lot.

Cheers,

Sam

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    #3 Dazanz, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Thanks Sam, much appreciated, so my car at 4.5mm plus the soldier seem is set perfectly to factory leaded specs of 5mm. I have just blowed through all the jets with compressed air, new needle and seats and set floats to 7.5mm to allow for unleaded fuel so will see how It runs tomorrow.
    It always Purrs at 100kmph but a little rough on idle, low revs and 70kph and always lots of fuel vapour smell out the exhaust when idling

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    This could also be due to cold plugs or weak ignition: with 12 cylinders you could hardly notice that one of them misfires and exhausts the fuel un-burnt? Cold plugs are safer, but idle is not so good.

Raising the float could make it worse as there will be more tendency to "flood the carb" (sorry for the poor english) at idle, as less vacuum will be required for the fuel to climb the emulsion tubes.

As a personal preference, I'd rather bore the main jet as it will normally affect mainly wide open throttle, also trial and error is easier on the jets than on the float (carb jet reamer are cheap). Once the best diameter is found you can buy the corresponding "proper" jets. This last point is not technically necessary, but it's better to have the proper marking on the jets for future maintenance.

Ether way, good luck on your adjustments: fine tuning 6 carbs is a challenge...

5. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
  6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I got a lot of help from Pierce Manifolds. I also switched to 140 main jets and 45 f24 idle jets and it runs well.

raemin likes this.