360 - Spider Top Cover Questions | FerrariChat

360 Spider Top Cover Questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Neil22, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    I have finally purchased my first Ferrari and love the car. it is a 03 360 spider and I am having issues with the cover not opening all the way on the right side. The cover needs some gap adjustments as well. The hydraulics and pistons were service before I purchased and had it shipped east. Once the car arrived east the roof was removed to have the roller over valves replaced, car could not pass emissions. if I push the cover slightly when lowing the top folds and works fine -

My question is the cover adjustable? can you adjust the micro switches?
    I have worked on cars as a hobby, but know little about this car and how the top it works.
    I am leaning ;)
    With other cars I have worked on body panels have some room for adjustments.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Guessing the elastic straps are going bad. Not a hard do it youself fix! Use the search function!

3. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    they are weak but it only hits on one side ? if this was the culprit would it not hit on both ?

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would check the elastics and the hydraulic fluid. If you don't have a record of a fluid change, then it's time to do so.

5. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Here is a good article from Aldous Voice about the spider top. There are also threads here that may be helpful, if you search for them.

https://aldousvoice.com/2013/08/25/ferrari-360-spider-roof-problems/

I had a problem with my top not closing properly on one side. We replaced the elastic first, which did not solve the problem. It turned out to be a seam had come unglued. Once reglued, the top closed properly.

If you have a dealership near you with experience with these tops, I would suggest you consider taking the car to them. Experience counts a lot in sorting these things out. If it is just the elastic, you can read about how to address this yourself in the link above. But if that doesn't fix it, having an expert help may be the key.

The cars are great fun! I'm sorry you are having a frustrating start to ownership. Don't get discouraged!

6. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Thanks for all the advice, found another issue the top left frame broke which cased another issue with the top.
    Has any had any experience with the frame braking and can it be welded since the part is either really expensive or impossible to find.

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  8. Neil22

Neil22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2018
    Oxford CT
    Full Name:
    Neil Silberkleit
    Thanks this is excellent -also found another one where the part was welled and looks great