Drive or uhaul trailer? | FerrariChat

Drive or uhaul trailer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by aslowdodge, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    It looks like I am getting a f430/ The car is 800 miles away. I am trying to get an enclosed transport but so far haven't heard back.
    My other two options are to drive the car home and hope it doesn't break down or get a bunch or rock chips or rent an open uhaul trailer and pick it up myself with my truck and haul it back.
    Any opinions?

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The chance of damaging it getting it on a U-Haul trailer is probably greater than incurring any damage driving it home.

Drive it, its a car.

Modena_2003, Il Tifoso, BT and 3 others like this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm going to be buying a 360 in the next few months and my plan is to drive it home. I don't care where the car is, I want to drive it. What better way to get familiar with the car and enjoy the living cheese out of it then by making a long drive on the interstate. Sure, you might break down but that's the cost of owning an exotic.

The shipping companies may be fearful of taking on your car. I suggest calling Michael Craig of YCSUPERCARS.COM (973-610-7111) and asking him about shipping options. He seems to be a friendly and knowledgeable person.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Drive it. Expect and plan for the worst. Be prepared for a giant grin on your face when you pull into your driveway with road trip stories.

Texas Forever, BT and EastMemphis like this.
  5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Texas Forever and NbyNW like this.
  6. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Okay, you guys convinced me. I'm going to drive it home solo from Kansas to Georgia. I did the drive last week round trip 1600 miles. A lot of boring highway through Mo. and south Ill. No where near as scenic as the Ginetta trip!
    I did buy
    TRACK ARMOUR Temporary Track Day Paint Protection Clear Adhesive Film for Car to cover the front of the car and will bring lot's of Blue Tape!

7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

8. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    We expect a detailed post about your adventure!

19633500GT likes this.
  9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I used something like ‘Track Armor’ once. Seemed to work great for two days. Then hit some heavy rain where most of it peeled off and the remainder was ‘shot peened’ and harder than hell to get off. YMMV. Congrats on the car and fun on the drive.

10. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    Drive it and enjoy it. If it’s a limited edition car then I would be concerned about the mileage or the quality of the roads. I drove my Aventador Lp700 in 2015 for 5,000km in just 10 days and enjoyed every km of the car. A bike fell on my car while we were in stilvio pass and the car has been damaged in the front bumper but who cares? As long as no body got hurts and we were having fun driving in one of the best roads in the world.

Moe

11. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Thanks guys. I can't wait to go get it. I hope it doesn't rain. Last week I drove to look at the car and hit a really nasty rain storm with lots of thunder and lightning.

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Just be sure to have a plan just in case something goes wrong. I suggest AAA myself. If nothing else it's cheap towing insurance.

13. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Not sure if you got your insurance yet, but if not look into Grundy. The package I have includes free flatbed in case of a breakdown

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    If you are worried about rock chips, just wrap the front in paint masking tape. May look kinda goofy, but it's a Ferrari. No one will question it.

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have flown and driven exotics home for almost 30 years, and you can never replace the memories.

I was driving the TR back from MI. I stopped in Sioux City, SD for a break and when I came out of the mall there was a crowd around the car. Two twenty-somethings were drooling over the car. They asked to see the engine...... I opened the lid. They asked to smell the interior. I let them sit in it. They subsequently bought me lunch. Or the time that I was driving the 348 across country. While washing the car, a limo filled with a bachelorette party stopped for drinks and pictures. Or the F40 driving time from Orange County, CA to Phoenix of 3 hours, 20 minutes.

Drive it and go make some memories.

16. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I totally agree with Ingenere.
    While living in Rochester, NY I bought a 330 GTC sight unseen from FAF in Tucker, Georgia.
    That was early November, 1975 and the car had around 42,000 miles.
    I paid for the car and drove it home.

The trip was almost one thousand miles and I made one stop halfway.
    Beautiful driving through the mountains with no issues whatsoever.
    I still own the car, it has close to 200,000 miles and I would not hesitate the do the same trip!
    Drive your car, enjoy it and don't worry.

19633500GT and Modena_2003 like this.
  17. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yup drive it. And don't sorry about chips. It's normal to have the front bumpers resprayed on Ferrari's. Hell, all exotics for that matter.

18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Set up a little more interesting route. Go through north Arkansas and find some good roads. I use TYRE to route stuff and load it into my Garmin GPS. You can string together 50 waypoints and force the route to the roads you want. Even if you take the 'boring' highways, the trip should be great to just enjoy the new ride!

:)
    BT

19. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys. There's so many posts about people worrying about putting miles on a Ferrari so it had me a bit spooked.
    When I bought my viper years ago I drove it from Houston to the San Francisco Bay Area. I bought one with higher mileage and in good shape, but did so knowing I was going to drive the car a lot so mint low miles was something I was not going to pay for. Long boring trip through the flat part of Texas, got better as I crossed into New Mexico.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Do not do not do not do not do not... put it on a uhaul trailer. the chances of damage are greater getting it on and off the trailer than just driving it.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  21. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    U haul went out when they didn't return my call after asking me 50 million questions.

22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol. Ya I forgot that they do that. Lol. It is infuriating.