Icona Part 2 - Testarossa | FerrariChat

Icona Part 2 - Testarossa

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by roma1280, Jun 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    So I think many are hearing the next icona model will be a Testarossa. Does anyone have more info?

Mods: may I suggest an “Icona” section in the model specific area?

ewright likes this.
  2. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Have heard both testarossa and F40 rumours. Given that there is no current production mid-engine 12 cylinder, not sure how the testarossa would work. As a random aside, the SF90's V8 has exactly twice the hp of the testarossa

At least the Monza is a V12 like the original 250. Perhaps the F40 is a better fit with the current V8 twin-turbo platform?

3. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    The F40 seems so beloved as a model, if it were me I would wait to create that one but who knows! If they don’t follow any rules like with Monza why not slap the 812 engine in the middle?

4. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

#4 Red Sled, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    I agree - you would imagine the likes of F40, 250GTO etc would make the perfect end-of-series carrots to dangle in front of today's Icona buyers. But I also sense that the Icona is primarily a re-body exercise as was the case with SP1/2 as it minimises the R&D in creating new running gear. Just speculating.

One likely marketing issue with the Icona F40 is that it would probably be priced higher than the original.

5. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Yes about end of run, especially if there’s is icona fatigue if they pump them out too quickly!
    I think you are spot on with the rebody comment.
    I have also heard 250 GTO, at least there is a front engine v12 in-house.

I think there is some danger with recreating the older cars. As we saw with the Monza which is car with almost a two foot longer wheelbase than the 375 Monza. We have all seen the monstrous renderings of modern “250 GTO”. I think it’s a bit of a gamble, the proportions just can’t be faithful to the original.

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Which Testarossa ? 250 TR or 80’s TR ??

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

Agreed. I think the Icona series will do well given their novelty assuming the pitfalls of SP1/2 are avoided in the future especially re homologation. But, for Ferrari, it could be a case of making hay while the sun shines. as the current market environment needs to persist to support the pricing.

8. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

The latter as the former would presumably look quite similar to the current Monza.

crinoid likes this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Both 80’s TR Icona and or an F40 Icona would be a terrible thing.

rumen1 and F40org like this.
  10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I think you may be right, but why do you think that?

crinoid likes this.
  11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Every time one tries to remake or reimagine great art it sucks. The reason it was great was because it was greater than the sum of its parts. Trying to recapture that magic is like trying to catch smoke.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I tend to agree - the 250 GTO was not trying to recreate whatever legend from the '30s, it was great in its time. That doesn't mean it didn't respect any legacy, but it staid away from futile nostalgia, for the better.

crinoid likes this.
  13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The Icona series is a possibly dangerous path should they not strike a very disciplined balance on design. The Monza is tolerable, but only just...

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    TO be based on the SF90?

I thought someone said it would be an homage to the 275 GTB/C speciale?

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Mr Coburn of 'Grigio Coburn' fame would like that idea...:)

16. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    How about a 275 NART Spider?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    That’s sounds great on paper but would the proportions be right using a modern car chassis?

18. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Was the Monza?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bundy likes this.
  19. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Not to my eye

20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    A 80s TR will not makes sense given there are no production mid-engine V12s. I can see a SF90S based F40 or even a 288GTO Icona. I have the feeling that in order to keep the price low (relatively speaking of course!), the engineering for the SF90S was maybe not as thorough as Ferrari could have done given more time and higher price point. IMHO if they can get the weight down substantially then a 1000 bhp, 1500kg wet F40 Icona could well be sold for $1.5-2.0MM.

roma1280 likes this.
  21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The hard points of a car are fixed at the design stage. These points define its weight, more or less. That is why a £1.2 million Monza SP1 weighs just 20 kilos less than an 812, since they are basically the same cars. So, the donor car is the one that defines the performance stats. The Icona bodowork is all about appearance.

456-boy likes this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    IMO you simply can't copy an iconic car with a modern chassis. The Monza looks nothing like the 1956 860 Monza due to the proportions built into the chassis as REALZEUS points out. When I look at the new Monza, I see a flat 812s. I wonder why a designer trying to prove his worth creates copies of older designs. Make something that is a future Iconic of your own design seems to be the best tribute to the badge.

23. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    You and realzeus are so spot on. Hence my earlier comment that Ferrari need to be really careful that icona doesn’t backfire especially with the enormous markups. Totally agree on a flat 812, just like a 15 foot long bar of soap.

Bundy and Solid State like this.
  24. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    It is not up to the designer. He is given a brief and he does his best. Ferrari saw what Aston Martin and Jaguar did with their new old cars and came up with their own twist on it. The more I think of it the less sense Icona makes to me.
    I honestly start to feel bad for Manzoni and his team for the amount of product they are being made to design with ever increasing constraints. No wonder the cars all kinda seem so complex and borrow elements from each other. Not easy to come up with so many clean sheet designs in a span of 2-3 years!

Bundy and roma1280 like this.