will need a new battery... which is best? | FerrariChat

will need a new battery... which is best?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaf430, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I will need a new battery for my 2005 F430, I know in the past there are many battery forums, but I am just wondering if there is a better choice out there for 2019... one that will fit right and last more then 3 years... I know interstate made one that fits... interstate still the better choice?

2. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have an Odyssey in my 06' F430.
    As long as its left on charger/maintainer you should be good. Ive got 5 years on mine and I've never had any issues.
    no venting worries either as it is a gel cell battery.
    They are usually double the cost of typical lead acid batteries, but worth every penny for a reliable sealed battery.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think charging habits and temp play into peoples experience

I know of a red top in a Scud that lasted 10 years ..always on a charger when not driven...until charger broke then replaced both

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Red top in my Scuderia— no tender sits a month at a time never had a problem in 1 1/2 years. FWIW

5. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    are all the optima red tops the same physical size?

6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have an Odyssey PC1500 in mine....TIGHT fit, which sucks, but it's big enough to do the job. I had a PC925 after reading people's accounts on the forum, but it went completely dead (like down to 5V, was able to recover with no issues) after leaving it off the charger for a week while out of town on business.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    No ..need to get 34r.. at least that is what is for a Scud ..please check and search to see if it is right for you ..not sure if they changed brackets etc in the four years

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Manda racing likes this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    interstate - after owning an FF battery eater its the only one that can cope!

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The Optima batteries are made in Mexico now. My understanding is quality has declined from what it once had been.

The Odyssey batteries are fine in cars with no major parasitic ECU draw (i.e. they will work fine in a 355 or 360 and probably the 430 as well). In something like a 458 or 488, you basically need to go with a Braille lithium ion, such as the i48CS.

Just depends on how much you want to spend and how much research you're willing to do to ensure installing a good quality battery in your Ferrari.

Ray

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have an Optima red top, they are oem in the Scuderia, and mine is over 5 years old, and working fine. BUT, as RayJohns mentions, the Optima red top has had a spotty reputation for probably the past decade. Some work great, others fail prematurely. And the red top will not tolerate any sort of deep discharge, that will kill it for sure and it will not recover.

I have had great experience with the Odyssey PC1500 (group 34R). This is not a reduced size battery, this is the full size battery with 800CCA+ and is a powerhouse. Highly recommended.

BTW, there is a thread here that someone mentioned the better fitting battery for the 430 is a group 48? You might look into that. Also, several have claimed the Interstate AGM in group 48 works well IIRC.

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I believe all the Ferraris use group 48 size don't they? I know the 488 and 458 do and I believe my 355 and 360 did as well.

Ray

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually most use Group 34R for F430 on back. But some are saying the change may have been earlier, but the 34R fit so no one ever corrected the online databases. I know for sure F355s on back came with Group 34R. I think people noticed on the 360/430 that the 34R fits, but just barely. Several noticed the 48 fit with a bit more threads on the bracket arms.

430 Scuderias came from the factory with the Optima red top Group 34R, the battery tray even has cutouts to only fit the Optimas unique spiral case shape. That means if I want to use something else, I have to spend $300 on a replacement battery tray from an F430.

flash32 likes this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I might be remembering the 355 and 360 incorrectly. I installed the PC925 on both those cars and it was much smaller than whatever came out.

Ray

14. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    PC925 is small...much smaller than a 34R or a 48

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    TOO small for the application

f355spider likes this.
  16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I ran it in my 360 for years with no problems at all.

Ray

17. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I just replaced mine a month ago. Bought an Interstate MTX-48H6 - requires little longer hold down "J" bolts, which I also purchased. They could have provided a little more room for us to work!! It's like the Italians designed the car and then said "wait a minute-a, we-a forgot-a to put-a the battery-a in-a the car-a." How about-a putting in-a here-a!!!"

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    See my previous post.

19. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    No, and they have terminals in various positions. You would want the Group 34R (R for reversed terminals)

Manda racing likes this.
  20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Mine was in the 360 for 16 months with no problems at all, never used any tender. I wonder why yours gave you problems?

Ray

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Odyssey placed the blame squarely on me when I called them, ended up buying a new tender and much bigger batt. Can’t say I was thrilled with their customer service. My 925 also had the posts switched and I had to swap out my clamps.

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Have you considered something from Braille? Excellent customer support and much more robust batteries.

With that said, I am putting a PC925 into my pickup truck. I still feel it's a solid battery overall (and especially for the money).

Ray

23. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I sure hate hearing that Optima has gone downhill. I have always used and recommended them.

Manda racing likes this.
  24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There's some interesting info about the company out there on some of the forums. From what I have heard on-line, prices doubled and quality declined.

Ray

25. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    whatever you get, make sure it has really strong cranking power.
    the high temps where you are put a big strain on the system.