Florence Italy Restaurant Suggestions? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Florence Italy Restaurant Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by NbyNW, Jul 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Starhotels was a good experience for me in rome. Driving into Florence was a absolute fit of swear words in English Italian Spanish and Sicilian. I made it to 1 block of the Hertz drop off and couldn't enter the ZTL zone. After talking to a tour bus driver he pulled out a map and drew some squiggley lines to show me how to get there. It took an hour and a half to go all the way around and missed many turns and had to keep driving until BOTH of the GPS I had would send me the right way.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Some how most of the food at Michelin stars taste like radials

3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

From what I've read the ZTL in Florence isn't in place on Sunday when we arrive. Hope that still correct and I'll double check or call the hotel to add my plate.

absostone likes this.
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That may be true exactly where you are staying. I was also told if you give your hotel the plate number they enter it in the system for the police. But im not sure if that is for a ztl zone. in Bologna we gave our plate to the hotel and we were able to drive in and out.

NbyNW likes this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    man I really miss Italy. in rome,, trastevere area is a great locals place to eat. ive read that testaccio is even more non tourist, both areas are on the Vatican side of the tiber river. also a really great place for pasta is da Fortunata they make fresh pasta over looking the outdoor seating area. ox tail ragu! a roman favorite

Sorry best vid I can find
    ooh and do not pass up Pizzarium Bonci, look up Gabrielle Bonci hes crazy and a real fun guy. All the places I name are casual nothing fancy. You cant even sit at Bonci .

NbyNW likes this.
  6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Love reading about these Italian adventures and details. Reading this is making me realize I'm overdue to go there...gonna have to squeeze in a trip in Nov...can't wait! Keep the trip reports coming...

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree, I watched Italy videos all night. I miss it and my boy does too

8. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Someone suggested Fiesole..which BTW is a brilliant little town overlooking Florence really nice if you want to get a chance to breathe..LOL
    there is a restaurant there La Cave di Maiano, the antipasti are ridiculous! and the pasta cinghiale was sublime. I was there 2 years ago and it was a pleasant experience. Enjoy your time there!

Nembo1777 and absostone like this.
  9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We’ve got a reservation at a nice place up there! Can’t wait.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We got back a couple days ago. Had a great trip. Excellent food and wine everywhere. The first few days it was hot but not terrible - mostly no humidity so ok with us. And no bugs - a bigger plus. Florence was a zoo - we didn’t do any museums. Window shopped and cafes.

First day in Rome we had pizza and Peroni at Navona Notte. Quiet side street, nice. Walked there past the Pantheon. Pretty amazing. Then for the evening we had starters and wine at the hotel watching people walk by.

The drive out of Rome was interesting... then up to Maranello. We ended up with a Jeep Compass. Nice drive north, roads are great and tolls easy to navigate. 40C in a traffic jam around Florence. Toasty.

Stayed at Opera02 for a couple days. One night was dinner there which was incredible. Beautiful views. Highly recommended - to stay and eat.

The next day was car stuff. Lamborghini factory tour (very nice), then Pagani (museum only) and both Ferrari museums - Modena and Maranello. Beautiful. Then dinner at Montana. Awesome.

While driving to Montana a full cammo SF90 was following us and passed by at a roundabout. Couldn’t get a pic.

Excellent food in and around Turin. Ristorante Mistral then Antica Trattoria con Calma. Then the wedding in Asti. Plus lots of cafes and Grom gelatos!

We decided to drop the car in Turin and take the train to Florence. Nice to kick back. Wish we had trains like that here. Super comfortable and 299kph.

In Florence we had a late afternoon pizza with a couple starters and an awesome bottle of wine at La Bussola. We ate at the bar next to the pizza oven and they were in full prep mode for the evening. Lots of cheese slicing and dough weighing. This was one of our favorite meals!

Second night in Florence we went to La Reggia in Fiesole. Starters then steak Florentine for the main course. The meal and view was excellent yet when considering the taxi rides it was too expensive. The walk up and down the hill was fun!

Our last night in Rome we did Da Enzo. Another incredible meal. But it’s been found. We had a 7:30 reservation and 30+ people without reservations were already there. Great food... house wine and desserts. Very reasonable bill. And they move quick - ordering, food presentation, the bill and done. Almost too quick. Not very relaxing but it was the scene.

Florence was way too busy. Lots of cars on little streets, lots of people. The train station and taxi scene was nuts.
    Rome was nice. Still lots of people but fewer cars and a more relaxing feel to it.

We had a wonderful time and many suggestions here helped make it happen. Thanks everyone!

Alcav5 and absostone like this.
  11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

absostone likes this.