360 - Battery disconnect for radio work | FerrariChat

360 Battery disconnect for radio work

Discussion in '360/430' started by rwk360, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    I am on the cusp of a complete changeout of the factory radio and speakers ('01 Modena) . Everywhere you read that before beginning work on the radio the battery negative (ground) should be disconnected. Other sources say to disconnect using the cutoff switch in the boot. Apparently the latter necessitates a myriad of security system resets which are somewhat onerous to me. Will disconnecting the battery neg also require the full car system reset(s)? Will simply disconnecting the factory Becker radio cause the car security system to disable and require reset (I am aware that this would necessitate reset of the radio code to reactivate the radio should I decide to reconnect)?

Thanks in advance.

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Always turn the battery master switch off whenever you are working on any electrical system to avoid possible electrical short circuit.

The only thing you will need to reset is the clock, and the crappy Becker radio system. You will need the radio code card.

To avoid triggering the alarm system - once you turn the battery master switch back on and close the front hood - lock the doors using the remote key fob, then press it again to unlock and disable the alarm system.

f355spider likes this.
  3. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Many thanks!

whatheheck likes this.
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome.

By the way, it is common for the engine to idle rough after turning the battery master switch off.

You can either just ignore the rough idle as once the engine warms up and you drive your car normally again the ECU will reset itself back to normal.

Or do an engine ECU reset procedures.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Becker radio harness NOT linked to the alarm. I just pull it out and unplug it. Never shorted it out on anything.. Fuse is behind drivers seat if you do.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #6 whatheheck, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    I didnt say Becker radio is linked to the alarm.
    I said he will need to enter the Becker radio code after a battery reset.

So as not to trigger the alarm, after turning the battery master switch back on and close the front hood he will need to press the door lock / alarm remote unlock, then lock, then unlock.
    At least that is the way it is on my F430 Spider.

So allow me to be clear. Yes, you can just unplug the Becker radio to change out the Head Unit and not trigger the car alarm as the Head Unit is not tied to the car alarm system.

But I dont recommend working on any electrical system with power on as you risk having a short circuit that can not only blow fuses but also damage car electronics.

7. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Hmmmm....

My 360 Spider is relatively new to me, so please take my advice cautiously. But....

Disconnecting the Becker radio harness doesn’t effect anything (other than the radio/speakers). You can changeout speakers, head unit, crossovers in the doors, etc. without worrying about shorts.

If you are adding an amp and need to tap into power/fuse, then that’s a different story.

Becker radio codes are pretty easy to find if you don’t have yours handy. Somewhere on this site is a thread.

As for the immobilizer, I had no problems with my ‘02 when I turned the battery switch off/on the other day. Car was normal. No errors, radio worked, fob worked normally. The problem is that there is so much conflicting info on this site that it is hard to determine which advice is correct for your exact situation.

I’m swapping out my tweeters, door speakers and adding a micro amp to the stock Ferrari Becker next week (want to keep totally stock look and able to return to stock if needed). I’ll try to post pics and steps.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app