My car took a huge depreciation hit today! | FerrariChat

My car took a huge depreciation hit today!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Jul 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Not that I care because I love driving this car and will continue to pile up the miles and smiles.

Best car I have ever owned! Drive it till the wheels fall off!

kandi, Bob Sullivan, j09333 and 12 others like this.
  2. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
  3. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I hit the 10k Mark this week as well. However, instead of watching it and worrying, I flipped it to the trip odometer so I wouldn’t see it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Fireman1291 and TR007 like this.
  4. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I have the view of the remaining mileage so I don’t have to stress with this number :rolleyes:

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    We get to see 10,000 earlier than you guys . KM's . So is my car going to hit the huge depreciation hit earlier ?

Frankly just don't care drive on !

6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    HA! My detail guy sets mine to 0 when he's done, I think I have a new car :)

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You’re a legend Sir! Well done!

8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Dang that’s awesome! Your definitely enjoying your car! What year and is it your daily driver?

9. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Good for you!!! Now that your car is worth nothing, you dont need to worry about its value anymore and can enjoy without second thought! I tell myself that the more you use your F car, the cheaper the cost per mile is... so keep going!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    From all my reading here it seems that the U.S. market is more mileage-sensitive than others for resale. So maybe the reading in KM’s actually help you out!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MANDALAY likes this.
  11. Cassia

Cassia Rookie

Jun 29, 2019
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Cassandra
    After reading this post I assume Americans doesn’t use there cars as much as Europeans :D
    My 488 from Fall 2017 has covered 35.000 km/22.000 miles yesterday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

kandi, sampelligrino, dustman and 5 others like this.
  12. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well done, I am hitting 90 000 km soon, hope this season, will post a pic soon :)

kandi, sampelligrino, dustman and 3 others like this.
  13. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I just keep my odometer on the fuel range so that I don’t stress about mileage :)

Ash Patel and DefunctNeurons like this.
  14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Mileage doesn’t bother me I have a 2018 Dodge Challenger Demon that I daily drive (including Michigan Winters, I’m probably the only Demon owner that does that) and it has 17,000 miles while some took delivery and put them in a bubble.

Why let it sit and let someone else enjoy it down the road. Cars are meant to be driven!

15. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Good to see!

I'm at 3,000 miles so far on mine, in 9 weeks. Need to do a mountain road trip soon.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Still leaves me non plussed when hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent on a car which is a financially imprudent use of funds, and then the incessant obsession over depreciation and valuation ensues. If there was a separate thread exclusively devoted to this issue, it would comprise the overwhelming majority of member posts. Acceptance of the reality that purchasing a car that costs the same as a nice middle class home in most locales, will inevitably result in the loss of a significant amount of your purchase price over time will eleviate the constant anxiety of super car ownership.

17. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm at 9,790 today. I'll be joining you soon! Miles to Smiles baby!

18. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I found it to be quite the opposite. Acceptance of the reality eliminated my anxiety about depreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ryalex likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    That’s exactly my point. Acceptance of the inevitable depreciation will minimize the anxiety and stress related to super car ownership.

jumpinjohn likes this.
  20. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I am at 19,850 miles on the 2012 458. My 550 when I sold it had 49,500 miles.

kandi, DOWORKFCAR and Fireman1291 like this.
  21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nice these cars are meant to be driven!

22. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    My 488 was delivered with forty-four miles on it last July and it now has 5000 miles. Miles driven are a bit low by my standards, having averaged 6000 miles per year in my 458 and 360. The Modena and Italia got better gas mileage than the GTB and insurance a commensurately lower. Perhaps that is why I drive the 488 a bit less nowadays - until recently - when I promised myself to drive it more often!

I am sixty-one, in great health, so why not drive the hell (with respect of course) out of my car? At my age, unless I win the lottery, this will be my last Ferrari (yeah right, my wife has heard that before :(). Previously I drove the Ferrari to work on Fridays but now on it will be Tuesdays and Thursdays as well. Mondays and Wednesdays has golf after work, but I don't like leaving the clubs behind the seats in plain view. At this rate I could be at 10000 miles by year-end and will be at 50000-ish miles when it is paid off.

Unlike folks who are averse to driving their Ferraris in even the slightest mist, I forge ahead in pounding rain. Not that I look forward to driving in downpours, but I don't shun them either. The car comes from the factory with windshield wipers, so other than cleaning inside the wheel wells and behind the wheel spokes ... don't forget the calipers, because I laugh at Porsches with filthy brakes :rolleyes: ... washing a dirty Ferrari is no big deal. I'm sure some of you will throw a brick at me and I'll just throw it right back, but I've even driven the 458 on a dirt road, but was careful with the rock chips, which there were none afterwards.

I park my Ferrari at Home Depot or Lowes (or anywhere else with or without trucks) never taking two parking spaces. I let people come look at it up close and if a child is well mannered I let them sit in it while the parent takes pictures. The heart-warming reward is immense. Tis a shame that too many fellow Ferrari owners are a bit nose-up :mad: to not oblige someone less fortunate when all they want to do is admire you car. You can't keep it if you don't give it away.

Aeron Fout and DefunctNeurons like this.
  23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Love it, I posted a couple weeks ago about hauling gas in a can in the front trunk. I only filled it 1/2 full and put it in a trash bag and wedged it so it could not move.

Worked perfectly!