400i Need 400i windscreen | FerrariChat

400i Need 400i windscreen

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Jul 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Searching for a 400i windscreen. I am considering repainting my 1980 400i, however, before I do this, I must find a back-up as there is 95% chance of cracking/breaking the glass, an no glass remover will even consider the job without a waiver for breakage. Any and all help gratefully accepted.. Thank you all ever so much. Jq.

D.J likes this.
  2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Been there done that... First paint job, destroyed windscreen, but had better luck on the subsequent touch-ups. The issue here is not to apply heat in order to cure the paint: the lamination of the original windscreen does not sustain the stress and it takes very little heat to soften the glue that keeps the layers of glass together. Even with lots of care you end up at best with a "milky", windscreen.

In order to have a proper job without removing the front windscreen, your painter can remove with an exacto knife the small seal of glue that surrounds the windscreen and apply new glue once finished. The rear windscreen is more troublesome as the aluminium trim, is fragile so it's best to also keep it in place (any nick on these is hard to conceal). With all these items still on the car It's clearly not an easy job. A fast cure paint is probably the way to go. As said, if the painter uses a slow cure paint and wants to speed-up the process with heat, he will destroy the windscreen.

If the paints takes more time to dry, you end up with more dust particles: in order to have less troubles we have to accept a few more defects...

Il Tifoso likes this.
  4. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you all so very much. Jq.

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    The rear glass broke on 46567 when Michel attempted to remove it (with the utmost care) in order to paint the vehicle years ago. I sourced a replacement through Eurospares in the UK, and it was not inexpensive...

Ak Jim likes this.
  6. 365TONY

365TONY Rookie

Mar 26, 2019
    London United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimoldi
    Just completed 355GT4 2+2 rebuild in UK. Assuming screen is identical to 400i Maranello UK have clear screens. I wanted green top tint so I sourced from Pilkington through National Windscreens. Very Helpful, 16 week delivery, around £900 sterling.

7. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I've just completed a full bare metal, glass-out respray on my 400i. (After years of deliberation, I finally settled on the colour Prugna, which looks fantastic.) Anyway, the rear screen needed replacing as it had become milky on the top edge, and I managed to source a new one from Maranello UK. But luckily, the front screen came out, and went back in, without breaking. Miracles do happen occasionally! So it's worth letting your painter know that it is possible, if unlikely.

But as mentioned in the post above, I believe clear front screens are still available from Maranello in Egham (UK).

The only part I'm struggling to find now is the bottom piece of trim that runs along the bottom edge of the sills. I may have to make do with my originals, which are okay, but not perfect.