Denny Schue's Dino Register closing website this month | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Denny Schue's Dino Register closing website this month

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #26 Marcel Massini, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    "Property owner"...……..?? No.

Marcel Massini

synchro likes this.
  2. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    I went to the site to do a final check on #07228 - but they shut it down early fearing people, like me, would steal the data. Sad that we've lost access to the information and pictures - so much of which we provided. I would have been happy to pay to support the website, but I'm not willing to pay for data being held hostage.

synchro likes this.
  3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Sadly, I did not. :(

4. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    seems if you ask they will share the data on your car???

one thought I had was that for cars that appear unaccounted for ... or way less accounted for

is there fear that evil doers will forge them and put fakes into the market place?

just one man's paranoid opinion

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Exactly, a few very key points made:

1) INTERACTION - I too enjoyed submitting photos of Dinos that I had seen at Concours/drives/meets and later seeing them show up in a search.

2) COST - While we enjoyed "free" use of The Dino Register, let's face it not all is free. There are costs we do not see; website, hosting, updates, and WebMaster's time that have been summing up for (14?) years. I am thankful that somebody kept Denny Schue's work but I could see how somebody might get tired of the unpaid chores too. Perhaps better to start a "Go Fund Me' to keep the Dino Register public ?

3) ALTERNATES - Why not start submitting your Dino data to Mathias and Marcel as they too have formal Registers. I made sure that 05702 has been in their system to build a history of ownership. Nothing more sure than a Dino certification by either of them

A lot of folks will complain when they can't get data from a Register but how many will also contribute the same to build the Register?
    Double edged sword - get your Dino details to Marcel and Mathias, help them out.

afer and Nuvolari like this.
  6. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Is there a link to Marcel & Mathias' registries? Always happy to support a good community resource :)

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I´m happy to take care in the future…. my private register is way way beyond what you could find in the Dino Register.
    Having said that, I´m too busy at the moment and won`t have the time to set something up before the end of next year.
    My Dino Compendium shop (www.dino-book.com) will be closed this year because I have hardly any books left for sale.
    I could extend / convert this webpage with basic production details, list of Vin`s etc. Let me think of this next year.
    To list detailed ownership history publicly is very problematic and I´m not happy to do this as most the stuff is confidential.
    Btw 90% of requests I get these days are business related, coming from dealer, auction houses, restoration shops etc.

robbie308, dgt and synchro like this.
  8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I would imagine that the European General Data Protection Regulation introduced last year has effectively killed off sites like the Dino register as it is imposible to ask all previous owners for their consent to publically list their details on a website. Another casualty of this regulation is the ability to request previous ownership history details in the UK from the DVLA (UK equivalent of the DMV in the US). That was a great resource that listed any registration number or colour changes as well.

DrDweeb and synchro like this.
  9. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    I could've had a robot written and sucked all the data in a matter of hours. Obviously, I have no interest in doing such things, but it is trivially easy. I understand why he closed it and in some ways glad he did. A nefarious person, intent on purloining a Dino could use the scraped data to locate Dinos and have them professionally lifted.

Anyway, the new EU data laws are pretty much impenetrable for ordinary people, so largely "amateur" sites which have personal data are all more or less destined for the bit bucket.

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    " Fool me once, shame on you".....etc.

I was rather surprised, as I required info, and the site quite happily accepted payment, me a fool,
    even though it was very well known to the 'owner' , that the site was closing down in less than a month.
    Just for a few $. If you are dishonest steal billions, not pennies. Pathetic.

Really! What is next? Snatch purses, steal from the 'poor box' ? Ought to return my money. Shameful.

Regards to all us, fools (at least me)

Alberto

DinoLasse and synchro like this.
  11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #36 swift53, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
    PS. I just have received a refund of 25 CHF from F-register.

Now, I feel retribution, and I am satisfied

Clearly, I have to admit that I was aware the site was closing, thus no one put a gun on my head, yet the information received was not worth CHF 25, as I expected exhaustive information, hardly what was received.

Thank you Matthias, for acting in a gentlemanly manner.

Regards, Alberto

12. Bob H.

Bob H. Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi all. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but my father was the original owner of chassis # 01416. I stumbled onto this thread after finding that the registry has been closed. Anyhow, I have a bill of sale for the car from my father to the next owner, as well as some early photos of the car at the Nurburgring and other locations. My father loved his Dino and I'd like to pass this stuff on to whoever owns the car now, if it still exists. PM me if anyone knows anything about the whereabouts and ownership of the car today.

--Bob

4redno, dgt, UroTrash and 1 other person like this.
  13. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    PM sent

14. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

After reading the concerns about Euro security and Euro privacy issues, maybe a backup set of data could be placed with someone in the U.S. - someone like - Freeman Thomas? Patrick Ottis? John Ament? OMG Jon? Of course, I have no idea whether any of them they would be interested, so maybe someone here can come up with another suggestion, along with a way to screen and vet legitimate users without too much hassle?

15. ferrari dino

ferrari dino Karting

Feb 16, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    John Kennedy
    Jun 21, 2006
    Dear all,

I sadly and with all my mourning have to inform you, that our well esteemed member, good friend and great connoisseur, Denny Schue, passed away last weekend.

For me, as his successor on his wonderful Dino Register it is still not understandable and I will miss him, our friendly conversations and especially his well-founded support and advise on his beloved Dinos.

The Register will wear black for the next 100 days and I will take care that the memory about Denny Schue will always be present and that his work will be continued and improved in the future.

Matthias Urban

My name is John Kennedy. I had met with Denny may times and had supplied him with many Ferrari Dino serial numbers that were not in his register. I have a serial number list that he gave me years ago.

Denny compiled the serial number list because he felt a deep affection for the Ferrari Dino as do I. He felt the list belonged to the Dino community and shared it freely. While talking to Denny one day he told me he was going to have Matthias Urban be the CUSTODIAN of the Dino Register.

Denny's intent was that the list would be continued and available to the Dino community. I understand that the world today is not the same world that Denny left. Electronic hacking and fraud is more prevalent today.

I would like Matthias Urban to address the Dino community as to his intentions with DENNY SCHUE'S Dino Register. Did you offer it for sale or have you sold it?

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Check your PM.

Marcel Massini

4redno likes this.