How to interpret Injector testing result? | FerrariChat

How to interpret Injector testing result?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 24000rpm, Jul 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I bought this injector tester. I can see that the amount sprayed in a given period of time for 4 injectors are different. see below. What does this tell me? which injector(s) is at fault?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Is this a trick question?
    I'm not qualified to say how close they should all match.
    Looks like clogged injectors that need cleaning on 3rd and maybe 4th vials.
    Were they leaking after shutoff?
    ps California would prefer they all match the 3rd vial :)

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    First I would switch all positions to confirm the lagging injector(s) follow.

(and I assume they would, but still).

Maybe they will start to balance out once you run enough solvent through them :)

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

switched and confirmed the result reflects reality. ( Not vials are leaking or the electrical wire mulfunctioning)

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

not a trick question.
    There's a leak down test on this machine, and all 4 injectors are not leaking anything given pressure ( for 1 min)

6. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    The volumes seem to be pretty consistent, a six percent spread should not be the end of the world. Were all of the injectors this consistent?

The injectors should be giving an even conical type shape fan of atomised fuel spray, if there is a stream of fuel or differences in between injectors then there is likely a problem. The degree of atomisation depends on the operating pressure and nozzle arrangement, YouTube should give some insight.

Given what appears to be fairly even flow, the injectors may not be the cause of the glowing cats. Have you checked for vacuum leaks and header temperatures yet?

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

These are the 4x RH injectors. so if there's anything wrong with the injectors that caused red cat, it must be from these 4.

I see the spray pattern are pretty much alike.

Vacuum leaks, I don't even know how to check that, just use eyes and hands to physically examine them?

What should be the correct the header temperature?

8. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    If the spray patterns are the same and you don’t have leaks I’d guess your hot cat issue is from an intermittent spark issue where you’re not getting combustion and fuel is getting into the cats. Check the plugs and electrical components. If it’s consistent you should be able to diagnose easily by checking fro spark, if it’s intermittment try switching components and see if you can get the issue to move.

9. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    The vacuum leaks will be an issue in the inlets to the cylinders after the airflow meter. Could be failing gaskets or a poor seal from something removed during a service. It can also be specific for certain items where wear can occur like throttle blades etc. a good way to test is spraying carb cleaner around potential leak areas when the motor is runnning in open circuit, ie before it is up to operating temperature and starts controlling fuel addition with the O2 sensors. A vacuum leak will typically give a faster idle as the carb cleaner is ingested. A smoke test is a safer alternative, ie the smoke is drawn into the leak when wafted past.

A dyno is a much better and safer way of diagnosing issues that are manifesting themselves during driving situations, but determining the temperatures of the cats and individual header pipes can also give an important insight into problem areas.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is this a simple "injector held constantly wide open" EFI injector tester, or one that supplies a PWM signal and can be checked at different flow rates (and checks the "dynamics" of the injector opening-closing action)?

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There is a significant difference in flow rate in the one injector if the time interval was really kept constant. Here are some real results from a company that does this for a living. These are from my V12 with near identical injectors and Motronic 7.1.1 vs the 360's 7.3.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MCASEY likes this.