512 bbi front frame paint schedule | FerrariChat

512 bbi front frame paint schedule

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by pshoejberg, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I am prepping my front frame for paint and have one more question for the bbi experts; What type of paint was originally used on the front sub frame? Was it painted with structure paint (Stone-guard stile) like the rear frame or is it a "normal" automotive paint or is it a combination. I have seen several restorations and I have seen both solutions. How about the gloss? Was it a flat paint or a high gloss, or in between?

Thanks in advance

Peter

2. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    As best I was able to tell, it was a primer followed by single stage color same as the body, then a product similar to stoneguard.
    I sandblasted to metal, used DP90 as a primer then single stage black followed by stoneguard. looks pretty well matched to the original other than I used black instead of the corso rosso. I also am not spraying everything with Dinol.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The frames weren't painted with stoneguard. The frame was primed, painted body colour as you mentioned (but sprayed on light unlike the body) then it got the same black you had everywhere else externally on the body thats smooth. The poor prep and paint application created a bit of a texture but it was inconsistent and sloppy with crap in it. Like a dog covered in dirt was required to stand beside each chassis after paint and shake itself off.

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for much appreciated input guys. Based on this my plan is to start out with an Epoxy primer followed by a 2K automotive lack and finished off with a sloppy layer of Mipa 2K-PU-Truck bed liner paint that has a bit of a structure to it just like the original "Stoneguard" layer that's originally applied on the rear frame and the lower panels.

Best regards

Peter

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Hereby a short update. I shot the frame in 3 stages:

1. Epoxy primer, left for 24 hours drying and then manually prepped with grit 400 sanding material for next application

2. Several layers of semi gloss black 2K automotive PU paint, left for 20 minutes resting time before application of structure paint (wet in wet)

3. 2 layers of 2K PU semi gloss to mat Mipa truck bed liner. Did my best to be sloppy, but it is difficult.

I am very satisfied with the result...very very close to the original appearance in the rear end, but much higher quality of products.

Here is a few pictures:

Epoxy paint applied
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2K PU paint completed:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Structure paint applied:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I really love all of the boxer restoration threads! I wonder if in ten years people will be doing the same with Testarossa’s? I suppose its doubtful due to the production numbers.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I have no doubt that the Testarossa's will be subject for extensive restorations in a few years. It happens to all classic cars nearly irregardless of value and production numbers. The owners get attached to the car and gets carried away at any cost.....Ask me how I know...-:)

Best

Peter

xplodee likes this.
  8. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I'd love to strip my TR down and do a full rebuild. Problem is that I don't have the space to do it, and eventually cost would probably be a factor. But I want to strip things down when I get a full paint job eventually.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

xplodee likes this.
  9. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra

10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You are right Ludwig....I obtained the exact "orange peel" look I was after. I guess it is down to two things; First of all the 2K bedliner product with a lot of "body" to it and setting up really hard and resistant due to the 2K hardener. Secondly I used a high quality gun to apply the product with:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

With this gun there are multiple ways of adjusting the spray pattern and thickness of the layer.

Best regards

Peter

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Both of your cars will be spectacular when completed.

12. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Ill look into that gun- I just have the regular wurth undercoating gun.

Thanks!

13. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Peter- do you have a more specific link to the gun you're using- I can't seem to find one that is any better than the undercoating gun I now have

14. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H