What’s Your Next Ferrari Purchase and Your Purchase Timeline? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What’s Your Next Ferrari Purchase and Your Purchase Timeline?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shark01, Jun 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I would have said the same except I wonder how much demand there is going to be for manual cars by the time the next price cycle comes around. There's an ever increasing proportion of drivers who don't know how to use or want a manual.

Also, wasn't the California the last Ferrari available as a manual? Not many made though.

2. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Just purchased my 360 but would love to add a Scud in about 5 years time if all goes to plan and if prices stay where they’re at or lower

LARRYH likes this.
  3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    there is a lot to be said for driving a slow car fast I own a Dino 246Gt slow enough but sounds great and is loads of fun to race around the street.. in..a fun little car...

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Hard Brexit,increased trade war with USA/China,big market pull back.

Then go Scud shopping or maybe even 16M if things get really bad out there .

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not so sure passing a “muscle car” to a new driver as his first car is such a good idea.:rolleyes: Sell the Mustang GT and get the 360/430 spider or Cali 30 sooner.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    For some yes, but I'm guessing he knows his nephew better than us.

My friends and I all had muscle cars in high school. Some wrapped them around trees, some didn't. At least his nephew will have the benefit of traction control and abs :)

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #57 randkin, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Well perhaps, but I had a acquaintance who gave his son a new Corvette for his 16th b/d which ended the son’s life. I would assume the Dad would know his son pretty well? There is a reason that insurance rates for youthful males are the highest and the underwriting on them is the most vigorous. Statistics are generally indicative of reality IMO.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well back to the thread topic, I am thinking my next Fcar may be a late model 458 in a year or two, if I can find some storage space. The problem is that I really like my current sports cars as well as my 612 OTO. The 458 being last normally aspirated sports Fcar.:cool:

Robb likes this.
  9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes, similar story with some people I knew in high school. Kid driving his Dad's vette crashed and killed his GF. Also in the same class a guy who offed himself by rolling his Ford ranger pickup. Then a bunch of us with relatively fast cars that never crashed/had a problem.

Understand your point, just saying I think it depends on the individual more than age as some people seem capable of deadly results regardless of what they're driving.

10. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Probably never buy another Ferrari.
    After 35 years of owning 3 - V12's and 7 - V8's, I am satisfied with my '99 Modena coupe 6 speed.
    I had a C/4 for 15 years and wish I had never sold it. And I am not about to pay $250K for another.
    Used to love working on them in my garage..... not so much any more and it seems like very few people really know how to work on the older models.

Texas Forever and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  11. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Street-registered 355 Challenge has been an end-goal Ferrari for me. It still ticks all the boxes after > 5 years - already my longest F car ownership tenure. So no plans for next F.

I would like to experience a track drive of a mid-engine V12 60s prototype race car. Timeline is asap.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    With my 16M and Speciale, would make sense to add a CS, but the next car I have my eyes on is a V12....599.
    Sensible and usable would be a 599 GTB. For collection status I’d love a 599 GTO.
    No rush, will wait a year or 2 to see how economy does...if GTO’s drop significantly then that would be my next move.
    I’d love an F40 but would have to make serious trades in my collection, of which I’m not willing to depart as of yet (CGT, LP670SV...)...

Sent from my 16M

13. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I was one of those, I just bought a cheap $4k car a month ago, drove it daily till I got a hold of driving a manual and just added a 1983 911SC cab I always wanted this weekend. Feels good to know how to drive a manual now, really took just a day, but I wanted to practice till I was ready! Still the f1 in my 575 is more fun than the manual in the Porsche.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster and Texas Forever like this.
  14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Great pair to draw to. :cool:
    But really driving MT skillfully and double clutching takes a bit more than a day to perfect that skill set IMO. Or maybe I was just a slow learner?:)

Texas Forever and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If I don't buy an Etype Jag it will be a nice but not perfect 308 GTS 4 valve. Maybe next year if I have space for it.

Second choice would be Fiat Dino Spider but I think prices are just nutty right now.

16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I cant see myself ever buying another Ferrari , first off, Im not wealthy enough to afford any of the newer models, nor would I want to drive a sterile nanny aided car , which is what they are, I would consider a front engine V12 , If IM correct the 575 came in a 6 speed manual it would be nice to afford a car that pays homage to what a Ferrari was to begin with , V12 front engine with a manual gearbox and very cool styling . The older Ferraris that I still have a lust for, like a 512 TR. but because of their age, they all need a ton of work, no matter what the seller says . I dont think I have it in me to do what I have done to keep my 89 running for 20 years again with any other older Ferrari that I might be able to afford..355 348 Testarossa Etc. I am very grateful that I was able to experience a proper Ferrari, a true driving machine. I own 7 beautiful streetbikes, including 2 brand new Ducatis, they keep me busy enough . If I find out that a Lambo Gallardo is not a good idea, Im going with Porsche 997 Twin Turbo . Other than that, I have my deposit ready for the 2020 Ducati V 4 Streetfighter

Thank you

Attached Files:

showme1946 and Texas Forever like this.
  17. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have no plans to buy a new Ferrari. I just can't take the ******** anymore of the dealers and the factory. Possibly some 458 variant.

18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The key to using a manual is educating your left foot on the clutch engagement point. Most clutches have too much travel. The engagement happens in about an inch. Over time, you can feel when the clutch is disengaged or not. If not, you need to do a double clutch. After that, it is just coordination of your right hand and left foot.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  19. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    If you decide not to get another Fcar and go for the Porsche, get a 997.2 Turbo S. I had a 997.1 TT and the gen 2 TS is way quicker and slightly newer technology. That said I don't think any of the 997.2 are available in MT so if that is your prefference then a gen 1 cars is what you want. The PDK (7) is way better than the Tip (5). But the 458 is still pretty appealing to me not that I would trade my 997.2 TS. Just have to find more parking and put up with my wife's comments on more cars. :)

20. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Randy, was that acquaintance someone who used to work for 3M/Imation on Lewis Road? My wife worked with someone there whose 16-yo son lost control of a new Vette and flew over a guardrail on the Conejo Grade.

21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so you are waiting for blood in the streets...
    can I interest you in some discounted stocks

22. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    18 months 458 or 488, undecided at moment, will wait for another 12 month before serious shopping.

23. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Well i just last week switched all my stock market holdings,which have done pretty good, into a 'cash' fund.

Now just waiting,yes i could miss out on further gains this year but trees don't grow to the sky forever.

24. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Wise man

25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It was many years ago but that seems to to me to be the same family.