Insufficient A/C | FerrariChat

Insufficient A/C

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Keith Darby, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    I have a 2001 360 Spider. The A/C is not able to cool the cabin when temps in the southeast reach 90 degree range. Is this normal ? Are there any improvements/ upgrades available ?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Has the AC been recently serviced with a new receiver/filter, vacuum pull down, and refrigerant?

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    I guess my question should have been "can the A/C in my car provide a comfortable cabin in extreme temps". I will service as recommended if positive results are possible. I just do not want to spend hundreds to get what I already have. Thanks.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Perspectives.

When I commuted, my Jeep (no canvas) sat in the Florida sun all day long. During the 35 minute drive home, with its a/c on full blast, it didn't reach really cold until about 5 minutes before arriving home.

My 1992 348 (designed for R-12 but converted to R-134) spends most of its time in my garage. Before rolling out its a/c is usually down to the 40s and stays very cold throughout the drive.

With that said, your 360 should blow as cold as all modern cars.

Keith Darby likes this.
  5. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Hi Keith: My 2003 360 Spider cools pretty well in Honolulu's temperatures, which probably aren't quite as hot as you may get in the southeast. The maintenance schedule for the 360 seems to anticipate evacuating and recharging the system more often than in any other car I have owned. (But it also anticipates flushing and changing several other fluids more frequently, too.)

6. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Thanks, this answers my question. I will get A/C serviced and hope for colder air. High temps here are now low to mid 90s and will reach 100 in July/ August.
    Thanks again,
    Keith

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Also make sure the evaporator (the small radiator infront of the engine cooling radiator) is not plugged up with dirt and things like dead bugs. Of course a good AC shop will most likely check this out but you might want to take a quick look.

8. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I too live in the Southeast (FL) and one thing you can do, and that I did on my 308GTB, and BB512i, is tint the windows, AND WINDSHIELD, with 3M Crystalline. It blocks about 98% of UV A and B (heat source) and is available in various shades. I used the least dark which has an ever so slight bluish tint..almost imperceptible. And the Crystalline is specifically made for curved surfaces.

This made a HUGE difference on the heat level in the cabin temp which is exacerbated by the large glass area of the windshield. It was about $500 / car and was well worth the price!

As an aside, we did our home with the 3M product which is specifically made for flat surfaces and it too made a big difference.

9. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Thanks, will check before taking to the shop. Have appointment next week.
    Keith

Ak Jim likes this.
  10. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Thanks for the info. I have an appointment to service A/C next week. I will see if it helps and then may have to consider tint.
    Keith

11. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Do the tine, especially on the windshield as Don mentioned. You will not regret it.

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Recharge the AC if it hasn't been done in a year or two. I started mine today and drove around nice and cool. It *should* cool as good as ant other car. My reference is 2008 cayenne and 2006 911.

13. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Thanks, this was really my question. I have a 2014 911 that I usually drive on these hotter days as it not only has excellent A/C but also has ventilated seats. I previously owned a 1978 911SC with A/C which was useless above 80 degrees even after spending lots of time and money on the system. I finally read the supplement A/C manual which suggested driving with windows open, A/C on highest setting and then closing windows slowly after reaching cruising speed. In the event that you came to a stop repeat process. I just did not want do do the same on the Ferrari.

Thanks again,
    Keith

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    My frame of reference was a 79 928 which AC NEVER worked and then a Boxster that had marginal AC. Cloth top let too much heat in on really hot SC days.

I give mine a charge with Freon every other year it seems, just go to Walmart and pick up a can with the hose/gauge combo. Access port is in the front of the windshield behind the panel in the front trunk. Takes 15 minutes to do with the car running. Add a little then check.. etc. I was actually surprised how well it works for a car of the vintage. Use a thermometer at the dash vent. I want to say I've gotten in the 50's coming out. Windshield will fog above the vent holes when I have it in use for a bit. As I understand the connection at the front radiator is not *perfect* and Freon can leak out over time. Set the control to coldest and vacuum out the ambient temp sensor on the right of the steering wheel.

15. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Having had quite a few of those older 911's I can agree that the ac systems in those are woefully lacking thru 1985, two little vents under the dash. Doing the mods help some but still terrible.

16. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    I had A/C serviced today. Temp was 96 degrees in Augusta GA where service was done and had 60 degrees at center vent. (36 degree reduction) Definitely noticed some improvement but not what I had hoped for. I am looking into tinting and found that tinting windshield below AS1 line is prohibited in SC . ( also prohibited in Florida and many other states) Not sure where to go from here. I may just have side windows tinted.

17. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    #17 Bob in Makiki, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Keith I would think it should do better than that. Did you try it on recirculating? I would think it should get down into the mid-40s or at least low 50s. (But, as I mentioned above, it doesn’t get that hot in Hawaii so I may be wrong.)

Good luck! Don’t give up yet!

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For reference:

I took the 348 out this morning, first drive in a few months. I should add that it's last service was just before buying (12/2016) and I believe they did the a/c as well.

In the garage, during warm-up, the a/c temp went below 40 and stayed there. Settings were set at the lowest for temp and the highest for fan/blower. The recirculating valve (flapper) set to "close".

During the drive, the a/c temps stayed mostly below 50°, with outside temps in the high 80s. The cabin was comfortably cool overall, as cold air blowing on my face. However, my windows are clear glass (Canadian spec - no tint at all) so the 11AM sun was hot on my arm. Burning actually. With that, the cabin temps were rising slightly as time went by...

Also, this black/black car didn't have to sit in the Southern sun today either. Nor did I have to deal with any stop & go or stoplight to stoplight traffic.

When I arrived home, back in the garage, the a/c temps went back down below 40° - same settings as before.

Result? The a/c works well but the car is fighting with the Florida sun.

Also note, all late-model cars come from the factory with tinted windows (most are so dark you can't see into the vehicle).

Hope this helps.

19. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Thanks for the replies. It reached 102 degrees here today so I did not drive Ferrari. I will purchase a temp gauge to further test and compare with other cars.
    Keith

20. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    [QUOTE="Keith Darby, post: 146690482, member: 212709" I am looking into tinting and found that tinting windshield below AS1 line is prohibited in SC . ( also prohibited in Florida and many other states) [/QUOTE]

And that is a problem? Just do it if you like. What's the worst that can happen, get a fix it ticket? Have to remove it? There are some great 50% ceramics that you can't even tell if the windshield was tinted.

21. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I'm a fair weather guy, and hardly ever use my AC in my DD's and never in the 355. I can't imagine what you guy have to deal with down in Florida, when it gets above 80 here with 75% humidity I find it unbearable. And it gets to 102 there, I'd be in the house.

22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We make up for it in the winter when yours is stored and ours are still on the street.

23. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Is a Sun Bird the opposite of a Snow Bird?

I need to head North for the summer. Or maybe April though October. ;)

24. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    The state will never know...plus no one can tell the windshield is tinted! It's that slight, but very effective.

25. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Looks like DonB was correct from the start. I have done everything else suggested (cleaned condenser/ Lots of bugs washed out, Had A/C serviced per service manual) All helped but seems that system can lower ambient temperature approximately 35 degrees F to temp probe in center vent on recirculate and temp on low. (equates to about 60 to 65 at vent) When temps here are 95-100 the Ferrari just cannot handle it. Looks like tint is next, legal or not.

Thanks to all,
    Keith