Any Route 66 advice? | FerrariChat

Any Route 66 advice?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Gatorrari, Jun 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In this, my 66th year on this planet, I'm planning to "celebrate" by driving the length of US-66 in September. I plan to stay off the Interstates as much as possible and see the attractions along the old roads. I presume that there are people here who've done the trip, and I'm wondering if anyone has any particular advice. If it matters, I plan to make the drive east to west in 5 or 6 days.
    • Places to stay, places to eat, must-see attractions?
    • The best guide books or maps to plan the route?
    • Any places or roads to particularly avoid?

71Satisfaction and Texas Forever like this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #3 TTR, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    While I've driven across the U.S. perhaps couple of dozen times in past 35+ years and most with vintage cars, I've never done "66" per se, but my best friend and his wife did it (east-to-west) last year.
    They had a twenty some years old "Attractions along the Route 66" book with them and told me afterwards that about half the "attractions" or "points-of-interests" listed/noted in that book no longer existed, but she still managed to shoot several thousand photos during that week on the road.

4. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    https://www.pilotguides.com/articles/route-66-study-guide/
    https://smile.amazon.com/Route-66-Dining-Lodging-Guide/dp/0988924609/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You will need at least two weeks to do it right. The USA is a WIDE country. Don't have a plan, just go with the flow.

Ps. I'd wait at least until mid-September. It gets hot.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly this. There's a nice little diner on the Texas border. Think the town is called Adrian. Get a bite to eat in Amarillo, but save room for pie in Adrian.

If it's still in business, there's an old school teepee motel in Holbrook. That's a bit of fun. Tucumcari NM has a couple of nice little local eateries.

If it were me, I'd skip the Illinois section and join in somewhere near MO. Have fun.

T

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I'm surprised no one suggested you drive this in a vintage Corvette.
    (Oddly, the TV series had little to do with the iconic road.)
    Are you taking the 328?

8. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Do put this in your iTunes list:

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #9 arizonaitalian, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Still there, still in business. This pic was 4 months ago today...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. It is not the Waldorf, but it was a hoot staying at that place.
    T

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I considered taking the Ferrari but I think the trip will be more relaxing in my Honda, especially if it gets hot. I may stretch the trip if my research shows that to be a good idea.

13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Another one for the playlist... :)

Have a great trip and come back to share your photos..
    - Art

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I did the Route, as part of a road trip that took a total of 15 days, went through 16 states, and added at least 5500 miles to the Civic's odometer. The Route 66 part took 7 days, as I decided it was better to both start and finish the trip during lunch hour, to avoid the worst of Chicago and Los Angeles rush hours. I didn't see everything on the route, but I saw plenty, and took over 100 photos. This really is a trip that everyone should do at least once.

I will open another thread on this forum to describe the trip and post some of the photos. Again, thanks to everyone for the advice.

TTR and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    my friend owns a new Mel's Drive In that route 66 dead ends into. Grab a snack. So you know you will not starve if you make it to the end.... good luck.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Are you talking about the one at Lincoln and Olympic in Santa Monica? I had lunch there on the last day!

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As a preview to my photo story, iconic restaurants on the Route that I ate at included the Berghoff (Chicago), Skippy's (Leasburg, MO), Arnold's (Tulsa), Lucilles's Roadhouse (Weatherford, OK), El Charro (Amarillo), Pow Wow (Tucumcari), Mr. D'z Diner (Kingman), Ludlow Cafe (Ludlow, CA) and Mel's Drive-in (Santa Monica). All are either recommended in one of the Route 66 tour guides or were recommended by local innkeepers. And I had good meals in all of them!

Lodgings I stayed at that have some notoriety included the Carlin Villa Motel (Carlinville, IL), the Best Budget Inn (Carthage, MO), Motel Safari (Tucumcari), the El Rancho Hotel (Gallup) and the El Trovatore Motel (Kingman). Not all had the latest modern conveniences, but all had that certain Route 66 charm that made them good choices for the trip, and all were reasonably priced. The famous Blue Swallow in Tucumcari was booked (it only has 12 room), but the Safari was a block away and I was able to walk over and pay them a visit.

Are any of you familiar with any of these establishments?

TTR and tomc like this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Very cool. I think we may have stayed at Motel Safari, but that was a long time ago...T

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Glad to read your trip was a success and would like to read more about it.
    I might’ve stayed in or visited some of these establishments during some of my many cross country road trips decades ago, but can’t remember for sure.
    I just love long distance road travel/trips, but prefer doing them in vintage cars, driving on older 2-lane scenic highways and staying in cool historic old hotels/motels.

20. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    that is the place Jim. My friends was Mel. and it is still in the family.