battery replacement | FerrariChat

battery replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by teegeefla, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    It's getting time to replace my battery on my 1993 Mondial T. I know I need to take the right front wheel off to get panel access, and turn off the master battery switch, but am I overlooking something? After I put the new one in, do I need to let the car run at idle for 15 minutes to clear any codes? It seems so simple but nothing on a Ferrari ever is...
    Thanks for any and all advice.

paulchua likes this.
  2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The ECU will be reset after the battery is disconnected for longer than about 10 minutes. When you restart, let the car idle without touching the gas pedal for about 15 minutes, or until the radiator fans kick on. This way the car relearns the cold start sequence. This is not unique to Ferrari, rather common to cars with modern ECU computers (the t ECU is kind of the first generation of a modern ECU) and it may not make a difference to just start and drive, but seems to solve for glitches that sometimes occur after a battery disconnect, so seems harmless to do the restart process this way. Other than the access being a bit more work, the battery change itself is not worthy of note. Just make sure the cable ends are clean, and the battery is the correct physical size - sometimes the same battery group dimensions are slightly different accross manufacturers.

paulchua likes this.
  3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    When I replaced the battery on my '88 3.2 I found a battery vent hose and 90 degree fitting that needs to be attached to the side vent on the battery so any venting fluids go out the bottom of the car and NOT onto the battery tray. It is the same on my Jag, the battery is in the trunk/boot. YMMV.
    Alden

4. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hmm... Didn't have any of that in my '88 (vent hose & 90 deg fitting...). Was yours a USA model or a Euro?

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    USA, 3.2, I didn't find it until I replaced my battery after 4 years of ownership, maybe the PO added it, not sure if OEM, But.......my 2001 Jag had the vent as OEM, YMMV.
    Alden

6. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    I'm THRILLED to see you still have this t. I hope you've been enjoying it over all these years as much as I have my 355. My wife still tells me how gorgeous she thought it was and she still misses it at times. We were thinking about you this past January when we rented a convertible, wanted a Mustang, got a Camaro :0( , to drive from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West.
    Wishing you all the best.

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I changed ours without removing the tire. Just turn the wheel to gain access.

8. teegeefla

teegeefla Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom Gee
    Stan-
    yes I still have the Mondial and enjoy it even more now that I live in northeast Tennessee with some entertaining roads. Much better than flat and boring Florida roads. I lost a year or more of driving it due to surgeries/recoveries that have made it almost comical to watch when I try to get into the car.

StanT likes this.
  9. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Dave what about the wheel well, you dont have to remove it?

10. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    No, there is a small battery sized panel in front of the tire. (Mondial t)