Water pump woes | FerrariChat

Water pump woes

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Mechanical Dad, Jun 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well it appears that the pump is leaking. Discovered it when I parked it after a nice evening drive tonight. Been doing a little research, but I do have a few questions. Is it worth upgrading to a newer seal, impeller and bearing layout? AW Italian has a few versions in stock, so is the stock one a better choice? I remember reading somewhere that the pump is similar to a Buick one? Planning on replacing this one and rebuilding the original to have a spare. Thoughts? Thanks for the help as always!

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There are numerous water pumps for 308/328 cars. The one to get is the larger bearing water pump which will last a long time. Unless you are set on "rebuilding" a water pump, I would just get a new one for not really much money.

paulchua likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When you get around to changing the pump, you can do it without taking anything else off but it is not easy. The hose clips will probably need cutting with a small hacksaw.
    When fitting the new pump you will need 2 new short hoses and some stainless hose clips.
    It is important to either fit the 2 new hoses to the engine stubs first , or to the pump before trying to fit to the engine.
    I did it the wrong way and had to start again- problem is i cannot recall the correct way.
    You will find one of those flexy hose clip drivers invaluable doing this job.

4. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Both ways are good, but having them on the pump already fitted take a longer time to get it on, you fiddle more to get it fit and fasten it to the engine side. The less time consuming one is to fit the hoses first to the engine side.

I rebuild mine for 50 USD/EUR and I have a spare. All together it broke 2 times in 30.000 miles. It's mainly that the engine does not get enough exercise.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine might have been easier if i had a lift but i had to climb on top of the engine and hang upside down- in my younger days by the way

6. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Hoses and clamps are new. I was unaware that they needed to be serviced otherwise I would have done that when I replaced the belts and tensioners. Luckily having it on the lift will be easier.

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its great fun, you sure will not forget this moment in your life,

8. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Fwiw, mine was in for service. Told WP was leaking. Upon closer inspection the top hose was leaking down the pump. Replaced all hose and clamps. WP had been replaced few times already.

9. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    New one ordered with updated internals. Hopefully I can get the time to swap it before the weekend and save my trip plans