What's The Best Family Car Available Today. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's The Best Family Car Available Today.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F355 Fan 82, Jun 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Stelvio Quadrifoglio, Audi RS7, AMG GT 4 63S, or Tesla Model X. Or just get an FF and put a Thule roof box on it for the stroller lol

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I recently saw a Urus about a mile from my house and that thing just roared as it went by. Okay I am past the kiddie (and the marriage ) stuff but I have twins and you know what babies wake up a lot (we had a live in nanny at home), and there is not a chance I'd put a baby in a screamer like the Urus, not unless you feel like dealing with screaming crying baby while your trying to hug a corner. I even think about my dogs safety I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee built to transport them safely (and they only go at the max 5 miles each way). I'm old and cranky and autistic but even this unemotional and incapable of feeling anything for my own kids knew that I wanted to put them in the safest car possible. Being a father means you come last, they come first and their safety is your first priority. Buy a nice Range Rover they are easy to get access to the back seat, safe and they ride nice as long as you don't put stupid big wheels on them. Your world is about to change, wake up and smell the roses.

3. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    yes, these are hard to find, something like 300 built a year for usa market. The e63 sedan might be easier to find if you want to see how the platform drives. The e400 wagon would be also easier to find if you want to see how the wagon feels inside. Lastly, I am actually under mileage on my lease with just 6k miles in the first year on a 30k 3yr lease.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you have multiple kids on the way you are about to 'give up on life' - you just don't know it yet. Decades ago I went the minivan route and after the kids were grown I used it as a race bike transporter. Roll the handlebars down and cinched down the forks and fit right in. Later my daughter totaled it and I bought it back from the insurance company for $200. Put some long screws in the passenger door to keep it closed from the accident damage (foamed the door sills to keep the wind/elements out) and drove it for another five years. Hauled lumber, fertilizer and concrete in it. Three rows of seats with two removable. The other poster is correct, you want safety, capacity and ease of access. Your old life is gone. Keep the 575 for yourself and make sure to keep the neighbor's kids off your lawn.

Ak Jim, 95Aero and tomc like this.
  5. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo ( sort of a wagon)

adc and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  6. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Panamera. It does it all. Seats 4 very comfortably, has tons of power, handles like a race car and has every bit of tech you can think of in it. I’ve had one since November and I can safely say it’s the best DD and “family” car I’ve ever had.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I admit I skimmed quickly, but why not an FF or Lusso? If not, then Panamera or Cayenne. Drive those P-cars and they will show you they can be sporting.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Does the FF/Lusso have any form of rear airbags (side/curtain)? I don't think so, but correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure it's the best car for having kids (regardless of age) if they'll be in the rear frequently. I do love the FF/Lusso (no kids) and think it's great anyway. :)

9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Sorry if I was hard on you OP, I was told by my non autistic and feeling female friend that I can be harsh, and if I was I was not meaning to be. Just remember the baby is going to start out in a rear facing seat and if you want to have access you are going to have to have someone sitting back there. Cars with two rear seats like the Panamera with be difficult to deal with. Take a baby seat with you when you test drive a see what I mean.

davem and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  10. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
  11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Actually drove the lusso this weekend, the t not the v12 there was a used one at the dealer $239k 2018, but really the coupe thing is going to be tough with twins, putting both in and out will be a hassle. I really would do another s65 but I was told a new s class is coming next year so not wanting to pay up for an s65 now with a 12 months or so till a new one comes out

12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #37 arizonaitalian, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    ah, okay so you mean "4-door" and not "4 seat" as in the OP?

Then Panamera or Cayenne turbo or GTS trim level. Can't go wrong with either.

Edit: I gotta add one of the funniest/funnest times I can recall in a car was when I attended the Porsche Driving School in Alabama:

After 2 days of hot lapping 911's around the track, our instructors put 3 of us in the Cayenne and took us thru their private "proving ground" circuit, wading thru a stream, down steep hills, up steep/loose hills, yada, yada, yada. We all said "yeah, so you proved it can do Range Rover and Jeep stuff, cool".

Then he drove straight to the track and took us on some hot laps...and had the 3 passengers wailing in laughter as we hot lapped the track faster than any of us drove our 911 by ourselves and (he said) only 1 second slower than he himself drives the track in the 911. It was f'ing hilarious...we were laughing due to the sheer physics-defying madness of it all. I am a believer in the Cayenne Turbo ever since.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The BABY SEAT!!!! Oh the nightmares are coming back. I had a manual Toyota Supra for years with two baby seats. When it was time, I through both into a drug store dumpster. My back still hurts from them and the kids are in their thirties.

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I'd go LS lexus. I've had an E38 for over 5 years now, I love it but get sick of the headaches with maintanance. LS is the finest japanese car you can buy and don't have to worry about it getting dinged up a bit, puked or peed in and it will run with little to no maintenance. I haven't had one since 2009 but I think I'm going to go back to it whenever this car kicks the bucket.

15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    anunakki likes this.
  16. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Very good choice, and smart - far cry from what you were thinking, but trust me - with a new little baby, this is going to serve you so much better than a 4 door sedan rocket.

Carnut likes this.
  17. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The thing was the more I read up on the urus, a lot of the reviews said the q8 was 80% of the car for 1/3 the price. The power would have been nice but it’s silly to pay $200k more for 200 more hp. The cars are basically identical otherwise, Audi owns Lamborghini and I really hadn’t even heard of the q8 till I began reading about the urus

18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Nice choice OP, and a smart one too! Funny thing I got a personal invite (a hand written invitation) to test drive the Urus in the mail yesterday.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I wanted the urus but the lease was 3.5x more than with a lot more down and it’s literally the same car sans 250 hp. The Audi is a good deal, the lease isn’t the best as you can get a q7 which is like $12k less for $499/mo on the current special but the q8 is a whole new platform the interior blows away the q7. The q8 with year one package looked amazing but the only one they had was demo and not for sale but the 22 inch wheels are awesome looking.

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well best of luck, though first thing I would do is remove the 22" wheels, I am a function over form type.

21. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I feel like the ‘65 Benzes are boring unless you’re on the highway.

If it were me, I’d be looking at any -63 Benz for a DD family car (S, E, or G). Supercharged Range Rover is also a surprisingly fun 4x4. Lots of power, high up and surprisingly good stability in corners.

Otherwise this post seems like an attempt to validate your belief that a 612 would be the perfect family car.

22. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    Drive a MB GT 63s 4 door. I did and I ordered one and traded my new Cayenne Turbo in on it. Its hard to describe, but I loved it, it can kinda be whatever you want, soft driving car, not to be confused with an S class, but very civil, or just a monster if you turn everything off and get after it. I loved it, but thats just my opinion.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    2 kids-- Get a Station Wagon or a Sporty SUV like a Macan or RR Sport. The Urus is probably a great car but i think it's ugly and will drop like a rock. No need for a minivan if as you said you like driving, it will just slowly kill you inside :).

After they dont need a stroller anymore (3 years old) , a sedan will be enough.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Number one. You want a 4-door that is high enough to get your kids into the baby seat. Bending over and dealing with all the frigging straps particularly when the kids are crying and it's hotter than Hades out. Being able to plop a kid into the seat while standing -- worth it.

Number two. You want a SUV. Every major city in this country is a frigging war zone: potholes, crap on the freeways, idiots on cellphones, gang bangers looking for cars to jack, do I need to go on? You need something high enough to go over crap and strong enough to punch through it if necessary. You need a SUV.

My choice is a Cayenne diesel. Tremendous low end torque (25-70). Steel springs, no air shocks, and because it's a Porsche, you don't float like you do in a Lexus.

VAF84 and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  25. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I actually wanted a cayenne but I got lazy, being here in the West U area, the audi dealer is 2 minutes away and the porsche dealer would've required me sitting in a ton of traffic to go out to momentum. Im a lazy guy, audi was around the corner and the q8 has been really great for the 2 weeks ive had it. I love the wireless phone charger, my phone was always dying before and it really looks and drives great. The bang and olufsen sound system is awesome too as is the stock quotes streaming on the navi while i drive, no complaints really.

Texas Forever likes this.