Genesis G70 | FerrariChat

Genesis G70

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by JV's89, Jun 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    The lease on my Wife's ATS is up this fall and after almost twenty years in Cadillac's, (an STS, and a couple CTS's & ATS's) we're ready for a change.

Anyone else considering a G70? Nice looking car with lots of power in the 3.3 twin turbo version.

We haven't had a test drive yet, but most reviews are very positive; holds its own against Japanese & German counterparts.

Seems to be a tremendous amount of car for around $50k.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    You may also want to consider the G80 and G90, although more expensive. In the Consumer Reports annual auto issue (April 2019), the higher end models score better against their competitors, but are not first in their class. Mercedes, BMW, and Lincoln beat them out. At the lower end, the G70 is beaten out by Audi, Buick, Acura, and Mercedes. Reliability and handling are OK to better than average. I don't have a feel for resale values. I know that about a year ago, there was a problem with their dealer network (having enough of them) but they are hopefully overcoming that issue. Given all the foregoing, you might be able to get a better deal from Genesis, too.

JV's89 likes this.
  3. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the detailed reply; pretty much in line with what I've read/watched.

The only other car we've seriously considered is the Giulia, and prior to learning about the G70, had planned to buy (or lease) one this fall. The looks and performance (365 hp) of the Genesis has swayed us. We will likely test drive both, but since we need AWD (not to mention the price disparity) we'll be comparing the four cylinder Alfa to the six cylinder G70.

As for the other cars in the Genesis lineup, they really don't do anything for me. I'm sure they're great cars, but we don't need, or want, a bigger car.

The Genesis dealership here is not far from where we live. My niece works for the owner at another one of his dealerships, and I've bought from them before. Good outfit, but who's to say if they've sorted everything out as a Genesis dealer.

4. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I think either car would suit you well. From what I all read, including an article on the G70 just last night, it is a great car. The Guilia would be my top pick, and if that test drive didn't seem like you'd expect, the G70 would be a nice #2 choice!

JV's89 likes this.
  5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Also in the same DNA family is the new Kia Stinger- It is a nice looking car and is said to have impressive performance. I can't say anything + or - about it, but it is becoming very popular. You might also want to do some due diligence into that one, too.

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    If only they had offered the manual with the 3.3....damn.

7. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    My wife had a Genesis sedan (model before they renamed it G70). We had it for 3 years and put about 40K on it. Never an issue. Was comfortable. The interior held up fairly well while we had it, despite a newborn riding in the back seat for the 3 years. The newer g70 is supposed to be a better car.

8. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I saw a Stinger up close for the first time yesterday, really nice looking car. My wife didn't like it as much as I did, so I doubt we'll be test driving one.

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    G70 is hot, I’d love to have one!

JV's89 likes this.
  10. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    We bought ours today and I'm really impressed with this car.
    I'll post some details & pictures tomorrow.

rdefabri likes this.
  11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Congrats!

JV's89 likes this.
  12. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    energy88 likes this.
  13. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    2019 G70 Dynamic in Havana Red. 3.3 twin turbo AWD.

All in, about the same price as the three year old ATS we replaced with it. As much as we liked the caddy, this car's on another level of luxury and performance.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I don't usually keep up on the 4 door sedans, since I rarely use the one I have (ridiculously optioned S Class), but the G70 looks like a very nice car for the price. I just read about it, impressive. Enjoy it.

JV's89 likes this.
  15. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    A bit late to the party, but I got to toss around the G70 on a closed course on one of the runways here in Toronto. Then had a pro driver take me out for a spin. Very impressed with the handling, reminded me a bit of a bigger E90 BMW 335. Finishes felt a bit cheap however, but I think that's the case in most cars nowadays.

JV's89 likes this.