Anyone know this car - 308 on eBay | FerrariChat

Anyone know this car - 308 on eBay

Discussion in '308/328' started by bfox2718, Jun 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bfox2718

bfox2718 Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
  2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Maybe was turbo'd at one time? That shelf/tank and the pipes below are odd.

bfox2718 likes this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    To say nothing of the seats, which are of the wrong type: "two valve injected" seats in a carbed car...
    That being said, chassis number being #33695, if I read correctly, it could have happened due to the production overlap between the two types at the time, but it would be suprising.

Rgds

bfox2718 likes this.
  4. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I wouldn’t buy a soda from BHCC. Was looking for a project and called them regarding a 308 GTSi they had a few years ago with partial engine disassembly. I asked some very basic and relevant questions like,” can you tell me why the top end was disassembled?” Wouldn’t answer any of my questions and were evasive as hell. Within two minutes said, “don’t buy the car”. Seemed pretty evident to me they were looking for in ill-informed buyer. Tread VERY carefully.

NoGoSlow, dflett and bfox2718 like this.
  5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What a hybrid!

That is a very eloquent mix of a carbed and FI example.

I'm sure it's an overlap on the production because there is too much correct for a VERY early 80 on the inside simply to be someone's interior redo - right down to the silver spoked Nardi.

Except for the speedometer. Totally wrong. That's from a 78 or earlier.

6. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    #6 Fairview, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Hi bfox

I usually don’t comment on other owners cars for sale unless in a positive way for an impeccable car, but this car has me reconsidering my position.

I’d just point out that a prospective buyer should carefully examine this one before pulling the trigger. Note the extreme door gaps, the driver side rocker sill plate that is wildly out of place, and the rust amidships underneath. Couple those concerns with the wear pattern on the front tires and the other idiosyncrasies and we might be getting into “fright pig” territory.

The 3x8 owners and vendors here are a right helpful and knowledgeable bunch, and the last thing any of them want to see is a new owner to end up with a Ferrari that is a poor choice. Maybe this example is worth owning, but get it inspected first. The concerns I’m listing are ones that point to problems that aren’t easy to fix.

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Guess the door gaps would complement the AC system in that it would help displace warm air in the cabin.

19633500GT likes this.
  8. bfox2718

bfox2718 Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
    Thank you - you guys have all been so helpful... I am very fresh to this market. My father has a 360 that i help him with, so I m ugh more familiar with that car - and its been my plan to get a 308 for myself soon - but it sure seems i have a lot to learn first... thanks for being so helpful, will probably be posting more for more opinions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Looks more like someone put a '78-'79 US version carb engine into a 1980 US version 308i chassis to me (and stripped off all the US emission stuff ;)).

Jbrauer likes this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Absolutely true, Steve...and covering my head with ashes, as I should have concluded this at first sight: the car has a full 17-digit VIN = ZFFAA02A1A0033695. That VIN says without any doubt that it was born as a "2 valve injected". Furthermore, as far as I know, US carbed GTS didn't even get a 17-digit VIN. Case closed as far as identification is concerned (it would be interesting to have the engine number, of course, but that is another matter).

Rgds

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, the engine family marking and engine SN would help pin it down. I don't get how a CA "dealer" could even sell it (unless they can manufacture phony emission test documentation). They do have some serious balls to describe it as "highly collectible" ;)

308 milano likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I just looked it up and the VIN is a bit too far along into the GTSi production to assume overlap but anything is possible.

What stands out to me is the GTS on the rear

If someone took an injected car and converted it, interesting that they had the presence of mind to change the badge. Maybe they took the one on the dash and stuck it on the back because it's missing and it would have been a GTS because Ferrari ran that first batch of inj cars without using the Bi or Si on the car's fuse panel cover for some reason.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Absolutely, Dr Tommy, in theory overlap could be possible: we have a few carbed GTBs with higher production numbers than the said GTS (notably the one of Alberto and Martin on this very forum), but these are euro cars, and furthermore, as far as GTBs go: none had a 17-position digit, even those very last one (Alberto's car and Martin's) except the very last batch of UK RHD carbed cars. 17 position VINs started with the "two valve injected" (excepted the very last batch of UK RHD cars).

But, to the best of my knowledge to this day:
    - we don't know of a US carbed GTS with a 17 position VIN: 17 position VIN started with the "2 valve injected" cars.
    - the spelling of the first letters sequence in the VIN of this car says it is "a two valve injected GTS".

Which is why I think Steve is right: that car was indeed born with a "two valve injected" engine. I do not know the engines as well as he does (well, I don't know nothing as well as he does, in fact...) but I should have reached the same conclusion.
    As he is in Texas, he is probably more used to the heat than I am: it's about 100° f today in Paris, the same temp tomorrow, and the whole week will be not les than 92° so I am not at my sharpest...

Rgds

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Which means someone was sharp enough to swipe the GTS badge from the dash and stick it on the back!

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed. But is this enough to make a "carbed car" out of a "i"?
    Looked in Matthias Urban's book, published in 2007: the car is known and qualified as a GTS"i" but I don't known if this was a deduction from its VIN, or if it had indeed a "two-valve injected engine" at the time...

Rgds

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's were I looked this up this morning

17. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I could ask Matthias if he has any information in his files regarding where/when he took note of that car, if you want me to; we are good pals, and he is always very helpful...

Rgds

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.
  18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Contacted Matthias, who sent me a pic of the engine he lifted from a 2008 ad: it is already the carbed engine.

Rgds

Dr Tommy Cosgrove and CL308GTB like this.
  19. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    I think someone put carb motor in. Looks at expansion tank location. Correct for GTSi, but for carb car.