Upgrading the headlights | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Upgrading the headlights

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Jun 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    Thanks, Wily. That is a great write-up, but it is so old. From 2007-2013. It's June 2018. Hasn't someone come up with a simpler and better solution and a good source. Thanks,

Geno

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Not sure what you mean with direct replacement the, but I guess the fitting of the lamp? (since this headlight does not fit the T) If this is what you mean you cannot just put in LED. The geometry of the inside of your old headlight casing is totally different. You would need the round headlight reflector and it's glass to get this right.

The best fit would be the HIRmod if you want more modern lights.

Personally I use Philips extreme bulb replacement, which gives me already more light and better vision on the road, but I have to admit nowadays with all the newer cares that have daylight LEDS and headlamp LED people sometimes do not notice you. Perhaps it is specific in my case since my Mondial has the Grigio color.

We drive old cars and we have to accept old technology and that is also the charm of our rides IMHO.

Have a try for Philips WhiteVision. It's even brighter then the Extreme version.

3. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    Well, it's been another year and I still haven't figured out the best option for upgrading the headlights on my US 89 t-cab. Alden, which did you end up staying with? Thanks,

Geno

4. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I bought some new lenses/housings, mine are round, yours are rectangular, so that I could install Silverstar Ultra bulbs. I am sure you can do the same thing.
    Alden

5. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    If it's not a lot of trouble, could you give me the part numbers and the source for the lenses/housings/bulbs you installed?

Thanks,

Geno

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I would, but it wouldn't work on your car. I have round headlights and unless I am mistaken, you have rectangular ones. Just look on Ebay for replacement housings for your old halogen lights and Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs to fit.
    Alden

7. geno355

geno355 Karting

Jul 5, 2007
    Winchester, KY
    Full Name:
    Geno Kearney
    Yes, I see that now. Thanks for the help. I'll check eBay.

Geno

8. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    Hella makes very high quality housing replacements for sealed beam bulbs; I’ve used them in several different applications. You can the use an h1/h4 style bulb.

9. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Try contacting these guys... they will know what’s available to replace the sealed beams.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com

I used them several years ago to get parts to bring my 308 lights into the modern age.

Regards
    David

Karsya Eins likes this.
  10. Karsya Eins

Karsya Eins Karting

Jun 17, 2014
    Albany, NY
    Full Name:
    Demostene Romanucci
    Daniel Stern is the best, and knows what's what. I used him years ago on light for a Caprice 9c1 build, and again for the maccinino dim aging lights. There is no one better, probably no one as good.

11. Mark Roaemean

Mark Roaemean Rookie

Feb 24, 2020
  12. Bulldog Ralph

Bulldog Ralph Rookie

Oct 24, 2020
    Full Name:
    Matthew Plummer
    Hoping you might be able to help me out. I've a US delivered 85 QV in Australia that I'm trying to get registered. One of the issues is the LHD lights pointing (I presume) slightly to the right and therefore straight into the eyes of oncoming traffic. Before I go attempting to access the lights, I figured that you'd know whether there's mechanical adjustment that will allow me to move the low beams to the required RHD alignment? The only solution I've hears so far is to try and find RHD light assemblies. Which would be last resort and helicopter view suggests not all that easy either.

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes you'll find adjustment screws on the side and top of the lenses, you don't even have to remove the housings to get at them, look and you'll find them.
    Alden

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    No, the both hi and low beam headlights point straight ahead and are positioned to the same slight downward angle.
    The high beams display a narrower, symmetrical pattern projected further forward than the low beams.
    The low beams display a wider, asymmetrical pattern closer the car. The field of illumination is obstructed in the upper parts towards the road's centre line, while the section towards the passenger side is gradually illuminated further, which helps illuminate pedestrians and animals on the road side.

The drawing shows the lamp layout and the crosses the target 10m ahead of the headlights:

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    High beam patterns look like that:

Low beam patterns look like that on a RHD car. You can clearly see the horizontal cut-off on the right side (oncoming traffic) and the rising pattern on the left side of each headlamp.

Fog light patters are very low (to stop light dispersion in the water droplets), close (in fog, you drive slowly) and wide (you need to see the roadside and markings) - hard to see at 10m

So, no, you can't adjust LHD low beams to behave like RHD versions. The only solution is to buy RHD inserts.