Sold - 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider | FerrariChat

Sold 1973 Alfa Romeo Spider

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Mang, May 24, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    i have owned this special car for 12 years now. I could summarize describing it as ‘Pebble Beach’ level restored OR HIGHER! It was done to a level of detail that is unmatched in this vintage Alfa Spider. Still pristine and flawless all these years later. I have a binder with $32k in receipts (in 2007 dollars) and photos of the entire process. The work was done and coordinated by father and son, Santo and Anthony Rimicci in Northridge, CA. Lightweight gears, racing cams, and all the tricks were exercised to make it go as good as it looks, it is an absolute dream to drive and it really scoots. Mods also include leather preferred over vinyl on seats, and full euro look again...euro side marker lights, Carello head light covers, and euro bumpers with recessed license plate lighting.

I could go on and on, it’s a truly amazing car. The underneath is concours/show condition on a level you have to see to believe. I’ll try and get photos to show. You really couldn’t pay someone to do a car to this level, as the fellow behind it all was going after perfection in a way that even $100k couldn’t recreate today. He spent 11 mos. perfecting the chassis before paint on a rotisserie on the bottom of the car too - I have a cd with photos of it all. He explained to me he got started on this car and then just went over the top in terms of creating perfection.

Comes with extra wheel sets, the rare Melbers on there and original steel wheels with caps. I also have an Uber rare set of Campagnolo magnesium ‘iron cross’ wheels - 7 of them to be exact. New old stock door cards in red if you wanted to spice up the interior colors, custom ordered mats with trim in gold another set, trim in red to match the door cards. Convertible top boots in both black and an extra in tan to go with the gold trim. I was refinishing the Campagnolo rims in gold, but never finished. It’s traveled a few thousand miles since it was created. A new old stock odometer was sourced so it started at zero once completed like this.

Ask is $29k

I have a bunch of really scarce bits and pieces gathered over the years for this car and all 3 Fiats offered. It’s an obsession of mine to have best or near best of breed examples of the cars I’m passionate about. These cars won’t disappoint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and Boomhauer like this.
  2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Very special offer, today only! Lol.

If anyone wants to do a buy all, all four cars for $70k I’ll include EVERYTHING in my garage related to these Italian cars - including but not limited to this 2 sided - fully lighted Alfa Romeo dealership sign. The real one. I’ve seen these go for up to $15k. Mine is cracked but still shows well, and if you know how to repair plastic, all the better. I also have some Momo Vega extra wheels, the originals, not repros, a library of books related, and loads of rare bits...etc. etc.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Fabulous little car. I actually just rebuilt an engine for one of these for my Pops. So, much, fun, without the jail time. Someone buy this now

Mang likes this.
  7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Nice ALFA Mang. Very tempting.

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Not flinching in calling it the worlds best. It is that sweet. I’m not bluffing! Do it you will thank me the rest of your life. I said that with my 930, Mangusta, and downdraft Countach which all sat here unloved and then went to other folks who not only scored amazing cars, but killed it $$$ too. I’m the boy who cried wolf on Ferrari chat for more than a decade. Don’t hesitate. The market supports this price too, nothing outlandish about it. Really $50k is what I ought to ask, but then I would get beat up

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #9 Mang, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    *note, there are no marks, scuffs, chips, dings, dents, NOTHING - it is still literally flawless...same both blue Fiats. Purple car not so much. With radio delete plate in. The Becker stereo was for show only, no speakers (or holes cut for them!).

Attached Files:

10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I mentioned the receipts binder and $32k spent. This was for NEW parts, and Santos Foreigns construction and assembly. Does not include the clean dry car that started this and hundreds if not a thousand plus hours of unbilled labor by the gentleman i acquired it from. He had a nice collection of cars, including a Dino. This restore was his way of learning the restoration process before he embarked on the Dino after. He told me he just got a little compulsive obsessive with this project but still enjoyed it, then just flipped right out of it when he was finished. I was quickest to reply, paid the way highest price ever for a kamm tail spider in 2007, and couldn’t believe what I scored. I didn’t low ball him like a ********* either. Happily paid his ask in full and quickly.

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #11 Mang, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Apologies to everyone for the chest pounding - it is a special car but I realize it rubs everyone the wrong way. There are lots of nice cars offered here. I’ve reached out to BAT and am hopeful they will auction it. I offered no reserve. That way this polarizing car will actually sell finally and the market will give me what it bears. I am proposing my entire Alfa Romeo stash all goes with it. Sign, wheelsets, parts, etc. It is still available and advertised here only for now. Aloha amigos.

PS this is a good read - please keep in mind it’s from 10 years ago.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/104192-amazing-alfa-spider-sale.html

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This car is OFF THE MARKET. It is going to BAT shortly...no reserve. I urge Alfa Romeo lovers worldwide to bid to win this amazing effing car.

14. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Hey Mang, I don't come here much anymore, so when I do I'm pretty much scanning for something interesting and your Alfa totally made the cut. A fabulous car, and worthy of chest-pounding. Being a '73 is right at the razor edge sweet spot of original series and the mid 70's slump. To me, they almost never quite got back up to par. Yours is a jewel.

I just did my first BAT auction (for Audi S4 Avant 6-speed) and wanted to mention that you, with your penchant for words and full accurate descriptions, need to just hang firm and get the copy right FIRST. If not, you'll get to answer the same questions you tried to answer in the copy 19 different times and it'll be buried in the comments. Do your best to load the most pertinent, meaningful, and market-influencing info into your opening listing, not smother it along the way.

Next, and you knew this was coming: When - not if - somebody pops off about "Your owner's manual appears to be missing page 78 so the car must've been wrecked and therefore the seller is a fraud", do not respond until you've had a night's sleep. (Happened at least 3 times on mine.) Then rise above and get back to the car, calmly indicating your credibility without offense.

Sometimes those auctions are circled by a school of anonymous accusatory Piranha and one drop of blood sends the school into a feeding frenzy. And you're the buffet.

Just go all stoic on 'em and remember the goal is to put the car in the garage of one person who deserves it and is willing to pay accordingly. If you play Piranha Roulette with the non-bidding basement dwellers, you tilt the game their way and lose. Best to you. The car should do well.

15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thanks Adams for the VERY thoughtful comments. Agreed on all accounts. I’ve been down the BaT road myself, with an equally nice original black 930 a few years ago. It went well, and yes, there were plenty of times I could have stepped in the mud, but bit my tongue and the car did the talking. You are surely missed around here, I remember you well as the ‘other’ guy who liked his cars to be as close to perfect as possible. It’s an obsession. Without researching I remember your Pantera? Was it white? Amazing car! There were others too? Thanks again amigo.

16. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Hey Mang, didn't want to derail your Alfa offering, but 'yes' I was a longtime owner of a Pantera in the highly creative factory named color, 'Dark Green'. I had it alongside a BB512i, 512TR, Ford GT and some others that came and went. I've since pared cars down to just a couple or three in a drive toward simplicity. Sold business last year, disposed of some other clutter. Car-wise, I'm way overdoing a 914-6 (god help me) and still have my 930 bodied 911 (M491 in Porsche speak) and a Cayenne GTS.

Best to you on the little Alfa. I feel it is going to do well!

Mang likes this.
  17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  18. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    The wicked nice cars with no reserve always provide the most action at the end on BaT. Wouldn’t surprise anyone if this one gets extended 20 or more times.

Mang likes this.
  19. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Just watched the video. You look exactly like a retired soccer stud living the good life is supposed to lol. I like how she whispers “go” at the beginning.

Is this a “for sale” sign?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Yes, Is a lake view lot just down from me. I’ll pm you a better photo of the sign.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thomas Magnum and Mang like this.
  22. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Let's hope it's legit. Please keep us updated on the transaction.

Dave

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That's a lot of cash! Good for Mang!

Skidkid and Thomas Magnum like this.
  24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This car is SOLD

dwhite and Texas Forever like this.
  25. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Looks like you had a great result. Congrats on the auction.

Mang likes this.