355 - Alternator parts | FerrariChat

355 Alternator parts

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Jun 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Has anybody had success with a rebuilt alternator for a early 95 F355? Mine is failing and new ones are no longer available per Ricambi and Ferrparts. There are old threads put many of those parts sources don't exist anymore. Any parts sources? Thanks

2. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ye I've done it and I believe I have spares in storage. I believe it's VRH2005-4a for the regitar regulator and
    RN02 for the regitar rectifier

holcombeditect.com

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I have used these guys on everything....from cars to machines I have installed.

Not sure if they can do a 355 alternator, but my bet would be yes...They have fixed some pretty weird crap for me over the past 30 years

http://www.gbrebuilders.com/

carnutdallas likes this.
  4. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Failing alternators is so common with 355
    Because of heat. Going to put a voltmeter in where clock is so can monitor charging system and know in advance if it us not charging. Getting stranded once is enough.

WATSON likes this.
  5. michaelz

michaelz Karting

Jul 7, 2017
    Melbourne Australia
    Recently had mine rebuilt by my nearest auto electrician. Parts are available and rebuilding was done within a day. Working just fine.

308 GTB likes this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's what I do too. I have a spare alternator in my parts box that travels with my F355 Challenge. when my alternator goes, I have a spare that can be installed at the track. I send the failed alternator to be rebuilt and carry it as my new spare.

It's a combination of heat and high RPMs that cause the alternator to fail. Consider changing the pulley ratio and improving the alternator grounding. See this thread: F355 Alternator

7. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Cirorsi and 308 GTB like this.
  8. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Sorry I really don't see the point of a amp gauge!!! when an alternator drops it's guts it doesn't give you any notice it just drops drops its guts!!!!! That's my 2 bobs worth. I hope it works for the people driving around watching their amp gauge. Me I'm watching the Rd. No pun intended.

Qavion likes this.
  9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I drove at least 100 miles on a new fully charged battery. Left me stranded the other day on the side of the road. If I could have seen the battery was not charging, I would have not taken the car out.

Cirorsi and carnutdallas like this.
  10. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I mean no disrespect but alternators wear out!! I really can't believe that anyone is going to install a gauge to say !oh wow my alternator has just stopped charging!!!!. If you can't get 10000miles out of an alternator then the wrong person is repairing it!!. Even if it was brand new in the invironment these live in 10 K can be the minimum it would do. Personally I get mine checked at belt time. Again I mean no disrespect in my comments

11. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

F355 alternators failure is common if you drive it and rev it often. The car does not die immediately when they stop charging you just drive it unknowingly off the battery until it dies. A meter would give you warning that it is failing and not drive it or id you are driving get it somewhere other than the side of the road when the battery is dead

Cirorsi likes this.
  12. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I understand how an alternator works. I have an Australian muscle car that I beat down on regularly and have put a larger pulley on to slow it's speed down. The issue is here that mechanical items wear out especially charging and starting items. I just can't see why you would put a gauge in the your not going to look at very rarely while your driving a Ferrari!!!! It seems pointless. Enjoy the drive when something fails fix it these are of cars now!!! I love my 355 to death, but old and things break. Putting an extra gauge isn't going to fix anything.

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Do you look at your oil temp gauge , water temp gauge, oil pressure gauge or do you just drive the car and ignore and say engines wear out why would I look at gauges. The gauges are a warning system. Unlike those other gauges, they are usually show a failure without much warning. a volt meter gives plenty of warning before it leaves you stranded. I guess you have your opinion I have mine. Hope yours does not die at an opportune time.

14. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
  15. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I check them regularly but if an engine is going to die from an oil pressure issue the engine is coming out anyway. As far as temp is concerned I'm like a fat kid on a box of chocolate lollies I'm all over it!. Thing is I did some time working in a auto electrical shop as a kid. Truth is Alternators don't give you stuff all time to say when there stuffed they just Stop!!!!. Anyone driving any car as you pointed out who does not look at basic gauges like oil and water temperature maybe shouldn't drive!!!! Or maybe shouldnt be allowed to drive. That's just me I look after my cars but alternators to me are really a consumable compared to a oil pressure failure!!!!

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't understand any of this. What doea looking at other guages have to do with anything?

Last time I checked the volt meter checks the battery. Had one in my truck I checked it every time I started it. If change was low I replaced battery. It is quite useful. Battery died or alternator is not charging you can see both with it.

Is it as important as oil press, no but that does not mean it has no value. Tell you what, it's more useful than the clock... following the logic used out here, looking at the clock does not change the time so why bother looking at it. At least the volt meter tells you something about the car.

Would I do it no, but that not the same as no one shoul do it, is it now.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    It's a forum and everyone has an opinion some excepted some not!!!. My car is not a truck I don't use it every day!!!! I don't personally see an issue with replacement of an alternator that sees 8500 rpm regularly when I drive it as an issue at belt time services if it wasn't charging!!. It's a big difference of opinion

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Don't you guys have alternator warning light? :D

Beetle likes this.
  19. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

When your battery light comes on you have 2 miles left before injectors shut down, instruments don't work, windows will not go down or up etc. Ask me how I know.

Beetle likes this.
  20. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Good point but sometimes the warning light does not come on when the alternator starts failing. Contrary to what Paul said, most of the time alternators do not fail suddenly and completely. Usually, one of the rectifier diodes fails first and the alternator is still producing voltage but it is reduced to about 12 Volts instead of 13.5-14 Volts. Obviously, the reduced voltage will not charge the battery. A voltmeter will give you this early warning and the charge light will not.

It is very simple and there is no need to argue - a voltmeter provides very good early warning and saves you from getting stranded, at night (higher consumption with the lights on), in the middle of nowhere. Quite many cars of the 90's had voltmeters as standard.

Koenig1 and 308 GTB like this.
  21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I agree. Four years ago, at Daytona, I experienced an alternator failure. At first it felt like fuel starvation in the corners but I had just refueled. Then I got an ABS warning light. Shortly after that, the motor started breaking up. I pitted in and got to the garage. The cable to the alternator was secure and we then checked the battery which was down to 2 volts.

At least this happened toward the end of our two-day event and i only missed the last session. Here's how it played out...

The silver F355 Challenge parked in front of me in the garage had its alternator fail the day before.

F355Bob likes this.
  22. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Do the Challenge cars have any air ducts to the alternator?
    Do use the standard size pulley?
    Our pulleys I believe are 52mm. I'm thinking of putting on a slightly bigger pulley and a Naca duct with air tube to alternator.
    Not sure how big I can go and still use the same belt and have a charge at idle.

It is ridiculous that there are that many failures in a modern car.

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I haven't as yet changed the pulley ratio. Yes, it's important to stay conservative increasing the diameter of the alternator pulley so you can use the same belt and ensure charging at idle RPM. The only track where I would see extended periods of time at high RPMs is Daytona. I've learned to use 6th gear to avoid those situations. It means an extra downshift to enter the infield road course but that's okay.

There are plenty of NACA ducts in the Challenge undertrays for brake cooling. It's possible to split off one of the rear brake hoses to create a cooling hose to the alternator.

My car is now supported by Pocono Sportscar and we'll be exploring cooling duct and alternator pulley modifications. I've already improved grounding by adding an additional ground strap from the engine block to the frame to supplement the updated alternator to engine block ground wire and engine block to frame ground strap already on my car.

24. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have a Naca duct that takes a 2.5 inch hose. Might put it in the diffuser and run high temp silicone hose to the alternator.
    I think Nippendenso has different size pulleys or one could be machined. I think rpm kills them more than heat.