83 Boxer engine and gearbox rebuild | Page 12 | FerrariChat

83 Boxer engine and gearbox rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, May 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    are these all customer car projects or do you occasionally do renovation projects to sell like people do houses?

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Both. The 84 boxer I completely restored before this project was one of my personal cars. Im restoring another car currently (as I have time) which Ill most likely sell as well.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  5. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
  6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Fixing some details up front. First pic is how it arrived.

The harness on the clamshell should be behind the signal light housing not over it, the white retainer should be green and retain the harness differently.

The factory shield that goes down beside the rad was trimmed to a third of its original size and there's a DOT enforcement plate left behind. Drilling a hole in the correct location allowed me to overlay the shield and not have to think about cutting the plate out. Hides it perfectly and why this wasn't done originally I dont know. Its easier to drill a hole than it is to cut the shield apart.

Found some nice wire repairs once I took the tape off. Im never surprised that I find things like this.

Last pic is the correct look with a clip retaining the hard shell connector. It keeps the harness from poking out the front between the bumper and clam. The location of the edge clip varies, sometimes its on the bumper and other times its on the plastic textured panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid likes this.
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    crinoid likes this.
  8. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Paul! amazing work as ever!
    I have a query re the wrinkle finish on the plenums... was it black wrinkle baked and then top coated with silver heatproof? The reason I ask is the plenums on my Testa had to be done that way as no silver wrinkle is available in Oz. Sadly, they looked good initially; however the finish on post install adjustments has started to wear through the silver overcoat and the black is shadowing through and spoiling the overall effect!
    If you don't mind me asking.. what products did you use( if they are commercially available over here I will re-do mine as it is bugging me)
    Thanks Paul!
    Pete. K.
    Perth WA.

Newman likes this.
  9. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    My Boxer returned home from Newman's shop last week, and I was able to take the maiden voyage this weekend. It was incredible. I had no idea these cars were so fast. I have only driven my own, and I guess my engine has been tired for a long time.

The engine fires right up and purrs as smooth as a kitten. An angry one. And the gearbox shifts like a hot knife through butter.

The visual aspects of the engine bay are breathtaking. I am astounded by Paul's attention to absolutely every detail.

I'm also very pleased with the price of the project. There is clearly a major financial benefit to having a job like this done in Canada at Newman's shop even given the friction of shipping. And his knowledge of the model means everything is correct.

Thank you Paul! It was a pleasure working with you. You are a real pro. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G935V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Beautiful..what an example!

Newman and crinoid like this.
  11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Steve,

A fun project for sure, I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to hear how it scores at the events!

Dr Tommy Cosgrove and tbakowsky like this.
  12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Black then silver. Can't find the real deal in one step so its the only option that I know of.