F12 or 488GTB to partner 991.2 GT3 ? | FerrariChat

F12 or 488GTB to partner 991.2 GT3 ?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by hergiswilreid, Jun 10, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hergiswilreid

hergiswilreid Rookie

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi everyone,

Need some thoughts from any of you who have gone through the following (thought) process. Apologies for the lengthy background below...

I’ve had a number of F cars (F430, 458 Spider, now 488 GTB, which I bought new a year ago) and Porsches (981 Cayman S, 991.2 GTS, now 991.2 GT3). I live in a part of Scotland where I can drive these cars properly (think F12 on Top Gear) at the weekend and so I don’t ever feel the need to track them. The GT3 has it over the 488 when it comes to emotion (primarily sound) and the ‘thrill of driving’, so I am seriously contemplating swapping the 488 for an F12 to give me a complete contrast to the GT3 and give me the V12 noise. But it’s a big leap in money for me (essentially a one year depreciation hit of GBP 45k on the 488) and part of me wonders whether the F12 will do anything for me that the GT3 can’t. Anyone had to contemplate this or have a view, having owned a GT3 and an F car at the same time ? I work hard for my money, so don’t want to throw my hard earned at the Ferrari dealership. 812 is out of my price range. Thanks.

2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Having done a heap of miles in my F12 then selling it. To me, my 488 is sort of stuck in the middle of the 2 cars, it does have a heap of power it's just that the turbo makes it feel artificial. If I had a GT3 I would definitely go with the F12 for the contrast and the sound is truly amazing.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

PhilNotHill likes this.
  3. hergiswilreid

hergiswilreid Rookie

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks very much for the insight. That’s kind of what I was thinking. I think an F12 and GT3 could be two keepers.

Bhh likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Only drawback of the F12 is its weight if you wish to track it - but since you can track the GT3, the F12 is definitely the best choice to complement it. The V12 is something to worship.

5. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a .1 RS....Owned a 458 and now a V12 Lusso. Drove a 488 and F12. There is no thinking about the decision I would make. An F12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe_88 and Bhh like this.
  6. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The F12 is the last normal production naturally aspirated front engine V12 from Ferrari designed by Pininfarina. That alone makes it a keeper, unlike the 488 GTB which has already succeeded by the F8 Tributo.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  7. min3040

min3040 Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris Hong
    I sold my 488 and gt3 touring last year. Right now I have 458s, F12 and 997.2 gt3rs. I am so glad that I added F12 to my collection. F12 is not as nimble as my other cars but it feels like super muscle car with crazy sound and power. And, she handles beautiful as Ferrari supposed to be. I think it is different driving experience compare to 458 or gt3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With the GT3, I'd say definitely the F12.

9. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    F12 would complement well, but you also mention depreciation hit on the 488, That is not an easy one. It is really up to you in terms of what that 40-50K is going to bring you.

Of course as other mentioned, the F12 would complement the GT3 greatly, but the F12 is also a generation "older" then the 488, think electronics, cabin etc.

Is it worth swapping? really up to you. Not sure why you would get those 2 cars together in the first place. Maybe a 488 Spyder would make more sense?

I am waiting for my F12 to be delivered next Monday, I really liked the car, the engine, the sound...

Basically - the 488 depreciation is happening no matter what or when, today or tomorrow and it is going to be unpleasant and probably worst as the next F8 comes out. The F12 is going to be better, depreciation wise.

Therefore I say: get the F12

10. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    F12 all the way. It's great for driving on real roads.

11. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    do you think that in next ten years market value of 458 will be higher than 488?

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Would always encourage to buy car based on what you LIKE DRIVING rather than what you speculate its future value will be... With rare exceptions, cars don't represent good "investments."

otakki and Thecadster like this.
  13. hergiswilreid

hergiswilreid Rookie

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I went the F12 route and have a ‘17 plate Grigio Ferro example with sports seats, so I can still feel like I am in a sports car, as well as a GT. I drove it home from the dealer in Edinburgh on the same route Clarkson took the F12 on Top Gear - except I had blue skies and warm roads (see picture). Absolutely epic - just me and a bunch of fast bikes and no speed cameras or police to worry about. I forgot about the depreciation hit on the 488 in about 2 minutes...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SVCalifornia, CETH, NYKSwiss and 9 others like this.
  14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    WOW she's gorgeous, big hearty congrats!!! (love GF, as that's my fav color)

of2worlds likes this.
  15. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Quick question about the F12... were there any material updates during the life such that one should look out for certain production years?

Eg. Don’t suppose they fixed the paint bubble issue in later years..?

of2worlds likes this.
  16. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    You never regret having a V12 Ferrari. It will spoil you, the power just keeps on pulling and pulling ... very impressive car.

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Stunning. Congratulations. Ciao bella.

We need more pics.