What's The Best Family Car Available Today. | FerrariChat

What's The Best Family Car Available Today.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F355 Fan 82, Jun 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Im looking to add a 4 seat car as my wife is now 6 months pregnant and we currently do not have a 4 seat vehicle. In the past 3 years we have had an 2015 S65 and a Rolls Royce Ghost and although both were great cars, they left me bored as drivers. I really do enjoy driving, I loved the 812 I had recently but we sold it shortly after we got the news wife was pregnant, currently only have a couple old sports cars and am now beginning my search for a 4 door car.

So I'd like some advice on what's the most fun 4 seat vehicle out there, I'd prefer newer as Im sure something like a 612 is awesome, but I have my 575 and its not dependable as a DD, believe me I tried and it backfired badly. Im thinking maybe Lamborghini Urus, I drove a friends and it handled like a sports car, it was great, but I know there's other stuff out there like the G63,Cullinan, perhaps even the new bentley gt(when's that come out it seems like its been soon forever), etc and I'd love to hear opinions. Price point im open to is anywhere really within reason ie no more than I sold my 812 for.

I saw a few videos on youtube and the e63s amg wagon got some reviews that blew me away, the exhaust was amazing, and one guy called it the best car he'd ever driven but I called the 3 mb dealers in houston and I couldn't find one to drive. That seems like a very cool car.

vraa likes this.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Funny you mention the E63S wagon. The guy I park next to at work drives one (he had a 911 before). It's all black and a complete sleeper...I love it. We work different shifts so I never run into him, but I'm curious to what it drives like compared to his 911.

An Alpina B7 is a pretty awesome, but those things depreciate like crazy. M5 may not be as big inside as you want with the family. AMG wagon may be the one...

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I am assuming this is going to be your first child! Congrats, it will truly change your life!

Ok, so coming from a father of 3 (now a bit older 2 in HS and 1 in Jr High). I would opt for something that is a good kid transport. We had our sports cars along with a family transport while the kids were growing up. Once they hit sports years, trust me this is going be be highly relevant.

I would skip all the high power 4 doors. We had (along with our fun cars). BMW X5, Infinity FX45, Range Rovers, Land Rovers (LR4 Discovery) Several Larger Infiniti's QX80's (big 7 passengers), We also had an S63 (once the kids were older).

Power with infants is not what you want.. You want something safe. with a lot of room, easy for your wife and you to get the baby seat, strollers, day bags, etc. in and out of the car. Power is cool, you will not EVER use it with an infant or kids in the car (maybe when they are older). Ease of use, safe, enough power to avoid accidents, but not enough to get you in trouble in wet, etc.

Ease of access is going to be key. Enough room in the back seat to easily put in a baby seat - which even at its best times, you have to have an engineering degree. Room to ensure your wife or you can easily get the baby in its car seat in the back, with hands full of bags and other stuff that you are carrying in the rain from some shop that you will coming from.

Thought we never had a mini van, couldn't ever do it... I get why so many do, it is so easy with kids and all the stuff you have to deal with.

Do yourself a favor, get a nice middle of the road luxury SUV or Sedan. See how easy it is to get into the back seat bending over with a sac of flower in your hand and other crap you will be carrying. See how comfortable the back seat is for you and your wife, as one of you will be back there with the infant at all times. We opted for SUV's most of the time, as just more room and better seating for the kids and us if we had to ride back there.

I have a lot of garage space (9 car garage), I was able to have my F or L exotics, and also the family mobile... so if you have room. Keep a sports car or two, also get a back up 4 door AMG if you want. But get a nice family SUV or sedan without 650hp as your primary kid hauler. You will thank me later.

4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    These guys called it the best car in the world, watch the video, the exhaust is AWESOME

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Hey Richard Thanks for the input. The reason being I want a sports car that is a family sedan is my dad already finished with his lung transplant, its been a month now, and we're going to be moving back to miami in maybe less than 12 months. The issue there is we've always lived in condos and hope to do so again as that is the only way we can live on the ocean in south beach. I'd like to keep my 575 as its just my all time favorite car and I can't seem to part with it, so that leaves 1 parking space left for a family car as most of these condos have 2 parking spots max, unless you live somewhere where there a few street spots, but I wouldn't leave anything nice on the street. Mini Van is a no go for me haha, the S65 and Ghost were awesome cars, don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved them, the S65 more than the Ghost believe it or not, but they just left something to be desired while being driven. I don't like the feeling of being lulled to sleep while I drive, I know some like that about Rolls Royce but I've had both a wraith and ghost and it's just not my style. I like exhaust, I like feeling like im driving and the e63s wagon seems to have that + 4 seats, same with the Urus, that is why I mentioned that. I will still have a sports car but I just want a 4 seat car that makes your heart skip a beat, like my F car does haha. I am jealous of your 9 car garage, I would love to have that on the ocean in miami beach but I don't have $50m laying around, maybe one day, but that day isn't today haha.

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Trust me I get what you are saying.. Just want to add from being there and doing that. If this is your primary infant hauler, you will not need 650 HP. You will not want it, it will be wasted, as with the child in the car - you will never ever use it.. And in the rain (you don't have snow, so you are luckier than us in Ohio), you want some power, but not enough to get you in trouble - ever..

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  8. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Plus you're going to have 2 kiddos. Honestly, I'd get a minivan. I got a sedan at first, and once we got a minivan I was like, "Why did I wait so long?!" Being able to climb inside with the kids, close the doors against the weather, and THEN get them buckled in was priceless.

Being in Miami, you won't have to deal with snow, but it's not much fun getting wet, either, while you're buckling the kids in.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Ha! I dont know the cubic feet of storage but im sure a Urus or e63s wagon can hold more than enough stuff, the youtube video they stuffed i think 12 big boxes in the e63s! A minivan is for someone who has given up on life. That is not me. I think after spending this afternoon watching more videos the E63s seems like a more engaging driver than the urus, has anyone here owned one? I hate the idea of buying a car before a test drive, but I've yet to see one review say anything other than its AWESOME.

JAM1 likes this.
  10. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
  11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Have you ever driven a mini van? Have you ever had to climb in a back seat and put your kid in their car seat while putting the required kid stuff in the back? Try doing these things in a car and then do it in a mini van. Going to have just one kid, how about two or maybe 3, if so you'll be doing that routine for 4-10 years. Just because a vehicle has doors on slides instead of hinges doesn't automatically make it be bad.

12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I can tolerate a few minutes of struggle to not drive a mini van, I didn’t mean to insult mini van owners it’s just not for me, I’m 34 and I just traded in an 812 super fast. I’m not the demographic car makers are seeking when designing them. I’m sure they’re fine cars I just want something with 4 seats, we have twins on the way. I said the rolls Royce ghost I had put me to sleep, you think the mini van is more engaging?

13. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    LX570/Landcruiser

I am also in Houston, let me know whenever you're done with the car, I'll probably buy it off you - I'm planning on getting married and having kids in a few years LOL

Thecadster and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I don't think it will be nearly as fun or engaging I do think though that it will make your day to day life easier. When my son was small I was putting him in his car seat and I twisted my back. It took several years for it to get completely back to normal. Good luck in your search and have fun with the new family member. We just took our daughter down to University of Arizon for her freshman orientation. The years do go by fast!

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My wife and I have only one child. When I recently went through this exercise I chose an E53 Cabriolet. With the sport exhaust option, which is on an electric switch.

I'm really enjoying it. It also has the full 4matic, which I need for a daily driver in snowy appalachia.

It's a Jekyll and Hyde car. It can be very quiet or docile, with the insulated roof as quiet as a sedan. Or you can have the top down with the exhaust burbling and popping. 429 bhp and 384 torques.

Matt

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I am kind of with you on the mini vans, we had one as my wife wanted one when our kids were little. Now that we have grand kids to haul around my wife has a Cayenne GTS which I spec out for her and she really loves it. Kind of sporty for a grocery getter/kid hauler but pretty practicable for all round utility. We got weather tech mats throughout so cleaning up kid spills is relatively easy.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Get a Tesla, they are far and away the best family haulers. The S sedan has a ton of room in the back and the lack of a transmission tunnel means kids can stand up inside and its super easy for them to get in from one side. In addition, the hatchback design combined with the frunk means it has way more space for all their crap than any other sedan or even the E-class wagon.

When they aren't in the car, the low center of gravity means it handles far better than any car of that size has any right too. Plus literally nothing else can accelerate to 60 faster. Heck, you may find that your kids love it when you floor it, mine are always begging me too.

If you want a Minivan, get the Model X instead. It's basically a minivan, except the doors open up which is great for keeping you dry when you're trying to strap the kids in while its raining out.

18. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    M5 has a cheap lease I was just looking online $5,600 down and $1300/mo. That is a great option bc in miami the bmw dealership is right over the bridge from south beach whereas the 2 mb dealers are 30-40 minutes away north and south. I've never driven the m5, is the inside spacious enough in the back for 2 small kids? I know its not a full size like the S65 I had. I need to set up a drive and go check it out, I've never seen someone not like the M5. Good call, I wasn't even considering it, ill check it out.

19. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    We're in a similar position. Coming out of a Wraith as my daily driver. It's soft to drive and eats front tires, but the real issue is getting a car seat in/out of the back. My 5yo manages himself fine but the infant seat is getting to be a real PITA. My wife has a new G550 which she loves, so you may look at those. One option on my short list is a Mulsanne. I had an early launch car and it was great to drive - more fun to drive than the Rolls, stiffer/sportier ride, and plenty of room in the back. I think the '11-14 cars are a great value and I've been looking at those along with the first year facelift car (2018). The other current option is ordering a Lambo Urus. They're engaging to drive and sound terrific. Suitable backseat room would be good enough for young kids. Maybe take a look at those options...

If you're up for cars that will be out soon, we have an order in for a Taycan and it sounds like that may also be a good fit for you if you can get a slot and are ok with buying blind. The new Mercedes GLS63 should also be a great car judging on our last one. They're also supposed to do a Maybach version of the new GLS which I'm hoping will turn out well as that could be another great choice in this range. Lots of good options out there... that's for sure.

20. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thanks for the tips, ya the coupes seem like a pain especially putting in twins. I think we both see the value of the urus ha! I’m going to wait a few weeks, wife is 23 weeks pregnant I would like to drive an e63s Amg wagon from all the vids I’ve seen it seems like the best driver out there. I just can’t seem to find any for sale near me now to go give it a test.my friend got this g63 a few months back and I was there for delivery, cool car but not for $250k
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Go buy an infant rear facing car seat. Then you'll know what to buy.

That was an eye opening experience for me. Standing in the store, you know it's huge and cumbersome (you'll want to put your kids in a little crash cell of their own), but once you get it into a car, it's a whole other ball game. Bending over, leaning, carefully placing baby and getting strapped in... it's a procedure. You'll want as much room as possible. Also, consider that the seats need room to clear the driver and passenger front seats. They should not be close at all.

Frankly, I'd have loved to have a G63for the size and interior space, but like you, I can't justify the price for one.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  22. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    3 weeks into the dad game let me tell you, you wont use 10% of any of these cars potential when you have the wife and baby in the car. If you happen to drive a lot on your own for work then that changes it up a bit I suppose. Otherwise welcome to the dad game. Infant seats are massive and truth be told, rear seat legroom behind the driver is more important than front seat space at this stage seeing how you will probably want your wife sitting with the little one for a while.

Personally my CLK55 is going to be getting a lot of garage time in the years to come. Track days are nearly impossible given my interests in the baby and newly increased time constraints. I was never really into watching racing on TV but now my wife and I are making it a thing to watch F1 with the baby. I'm also looking into building out a racing simulator for the house. On the daily driver front, we have been looking to get another SUV for our driveway and have basically decided it's likely to either be the Volvo XC90 T6 R-design or the Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate. Crazy as it sounds the Hyundai is more comfortable in the first two rows (no 3rd) and drives 9/10th's as well as the Volvo. Just to add, cost isn't really a factor for us in considering the Hyundai, it's purely based on comfort and utility.

Texas Forever and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  23. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    So I just happen to have a 2018 e63 wagon on swapalease that I will be posting on Fchat in the next day or two: http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2018-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class.aspx?salid=1348868
    Having 6 and 11 year old daughters, I needed a fun car that had 4 doors and a hatch. The wagon is just that. Now I can say with 2 year olds and under, its nice to have an SUV as the child seat is waist high. Or baby and older child, minivan was the way to go with low entrance height, power sliding door, so older child can get in with no help.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #24 F355 Fan 82, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Its not about using it, I actually walk to work in miami, and Im going back to my old job when I head home. It's the driving to and from school + wherever you go and the want for a sports car. Again as of a few months ago my daily driver was an 812 superfast, I used it everywhere, grocery store, etc. Obviously that is not out of place in miami, but what im saying is I had an 812 bc i only had 2 parking spots, 1 812 and 1 575. Parking is limited in south beach so you're limited on how many cars you can have. I had to ship 3 other cars of mine to my parents in texas bc i had no room for them. So now I have to get a 4 seater to occupy one of my 2 spots at whatever new condo we buy and its got the tall task of replacing the fun my 812 provided.

25. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Wow that is just perfect, like I said above, I haven't been able to find one here in texas near me to drive. Ideally I'd like to try it out before committing to it. Also I'd like to get it here before we move bc when we move back, multiple dogs and the newborn twins have to go with us, so flying isn't possible we will be driving. The lease is tremendous, the price isn't bad at all but the mileage limit will take a big hit on the 1500 mile trip back to miami.