1,400 Mile '85 308 GTS QV on BAT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1,400 Mile '85 308 GTS QV on BAT

Discussion in '308/328' started by G. Pepper, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Has reached 101.000 U$, with 12 hours left...

Rgds

2. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  4. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    It's a dome like plastic cover the end of round base below the mirror facing the rear. Zoom up you can see it.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'll just take your word for it. Why are the mirrors hard to come by? I've never heard that before.

6. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    You can buy the mirror endcaps from Unobtanium, Verell.

7. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thank you Verell. That's good to know.

8. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    $116k. Sound like a good deal?

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    For what it is, yes

10. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    I guess it didnt reach 180K

11. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    That’s a little shocking and disappointing. That’s a rare car and seems like it should have gone for more.

12. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    I also thought it would have gone for more; again my uneducated guess was $148K. I understand that one sale does not set the market, but do you all feel that this was this an indication of the current market or just somebody getting a great deal?

13. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    The car would have sold for much more at a proper auction with the associated marketing up to sale time. I believe that BAT has only a niche following and from time to time one can get a great deal, much like this one. It's a treasure hunt for a deal.

14. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I respectfully disagree this warranted more money. Maybe in 2015-16 at a major auction house it could've/should've/would've done more, but also, vs BaT, tack on 10-15% buyers premium, AND net to the seller would've been much less too with those associated fees. Time capsule's are cool, but then their's decision making involved with "what to do with the car now". $121K all in seems like plenty to me. I will use Vetroresina's in example of a market gone past. 2015 I was looking at one that still needed paint, and he was rock still at $215K. He STILL wants $215K, and will sit on the car forever. 308's cooled, even the low mileage super desirable models, and including anomalies here and there. This one could've simply suffered not having two headstrong guys/gals hell bent on winning, on that day, it happens.

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, paying a premium for a vetroresina is because it's rare and it will always be rare but paying a premium for low mileage is different. It's still rare but that rarity will be erased simply by driving it. So unless your intent is to trailer it to another climate controlled garage and sit on it for another 35 years there is not much sense to it. You can certainly get a Quattrovalvole 308 with normal mileage that is in just as good of a condition, or possibly even better, for less money and just drive it because after all it's a car and that's what you're supposed to do with it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't "get" it.

16. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    There is no substitution for well preserved low original mileage when buying a car.

They are the best ones to give that feeling of going back in time to the Ferrari dealer showroom of an era long past!

As if The vehicle was literally waiting for you to grow up and learn to appreciate it.

Soo rare to find and If you have the means, it is like using a time machine.

Now Go Drive it!

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I met a young man at a Silicon Valley Cars & Coffee who had trailered-in several of his million-dollar exotic cars. He was emphatic to me just how proud he was of owning extremely low mileage examples. I have met another person with a 60-car collection, which makes it impossible to drive any car very much. And I’ve met the owner of an extremely low mileage 328 who finds great joy in shipping his car from show to show around the country.

These people love their cars. It is just a different form of the car hobby. In preserving their cars and showing them, the sense I got is that each owner also feels like they are giving us a gift, which in a way they are. I thank them all.

For that kind of car enthusiast, this 1,400 mile 308 is very special. It is one of a handful in the world. It cannot be viewed in terms of its driving utility (the suspension is probably shot, the engine probably leaks, etc.). There are better roadworthy examples to be had. I am surprised any maintenance work at all was done before the sale.

In the world of ultra-rare car collecting, this 308 is nothing to sniff at. It is a Ferrari. No, it is not a 250 GTO, but in the gene pool of collectable cars, it is a pretty big fish. As 3x8 owners, it is pretty easy for us to feel pretty indifferent about our vehicles, but they are special.

I think the buyer got a steal.

18. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    The best part is that we now have a bunch great of photos to reference...

Jbrauer likes this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Wise words indeed, Brian. Ferraris are many things to many different persons. To each his own. Something that might seem impossible to understand for some, makes perfect sense for others. "One man's meat is another's poison" ("Commander Cody and his lost planet airmen").
    Rgds

308 milano likes this.
  20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Wow a "Commander Cody" reference. That's more impressive than the car.

You can drive cars and still win trophys.

308 milano likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    ...yes, of course. You can also build a room around the car, without even a door for her to hit the road, and just look at her. Or so many other things...Ferraris are different things to different people.
    My personal feeling is that a car is meant to be driven, but who am I to say what should be done with her?

(As for Commander Cody, well...I am still listening to it from time to time; or to the later solo albums of Bill Kirchen...)

Rgds

dwhite likes this.
  22. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

19633500GT likes this.