First Supercar purchase | FerrariChat

First Supercar purchase

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nuclearnurse, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nuclearnurse

nuclearnurse Rookie

Jun 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jared Porter
    Hey guys I'm new to the forums and am looking into purchasing my first Ferrari. I'm a 6'5" bigger guy. I'm looking at a 3.2 Mondial and potentially removing the rear seat so I can install a longer track to fit my long ass legs. Can this be done? Where are the best places to get parts from, especially upgrades like the fuse box, fuel lines, and timing belts? I have limited car repair knowledge but access to guys with a wealth of domestic car knowledge. I do have an expert Ferrari repair place down in Houston (2 hours away) as well. My mechanical savvy comes from taking apart nuclear reactors and motor/generators in the Navy so maintenance doesn't scare me. I'll continue scouring the forums to soak up as much info as possible but any help as I start down this journey is welcomed!Thanks!

paulchua likes this.
  2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I don’t think you’ll need to change the seat location but it’s possible. I’m just over 6 foot and can slide the seat so far back I can’t depress the clutch fully. I like Superformance.UK for parts as well as sponsor Ricambi. Red bay cars has the fuse board.

JimboMondial likes this.
  3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have seen someone 6-6 in a mondial, so you might make it as the seat goes well back

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome! Also, thank you for your service sir! I've taken out my seats, the problem is the bottom part of the back seat I believe is metal. (not sure) so might be more involved.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I believe Paul is correct, and that the fuel tanks are under the seat cushion. This makes that modification it a non-starter unless you are ready to do a lot of customization. I met up with a fairly tall guy considering a Mondial so he could try it out, and I recommend doing this. He was comfortable in the car, but had a lot of trouble getting in and out due to leg length combined with bad knees.

paulchua likes this.
  6. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    1. Welcome!
    2. Great username!
    3. While, it's a great car, I'm not sure that I would call a Mondial a SUPERcar. ;)
    4. Good luck in your search - there's a lot of good info here.

2cam

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Definitely try sitting in one if not already. I'm 6 foot and I don't push the seat back fully (although I do like a more upward position). It has about 4 more inches of give, so it might work, especially if you get thinner seats.

ronfrohock likes this.
  8. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi 6ft4 with short legs and have no problems with Mondial seats although getting in and out isn't graceful. I have seen comments about raising the seat giving you more room. My main concern is the head rest ends below my neck line.

Jim

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  9. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm 6'3 with long legs and I fit very comfortably in my 86 3.2 coupe. Just for reference I couldn't fit in a 84 308 gtb without bending my neck.

paulchua likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    dang we got some giants in the house!!!

11. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    In the UK the word 'super' describes the car perfectly :)

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    6'4" here. Raise the seat with 1" risers (this may not make sense until you drive it, TMWFI, if you need spacers and the longer bolts, I may have some, PM me, I offered kits for a while) and put a 1"extension on the steering column. Easy peasy and I fit fine, with no-one behind me, lol. Plenty of headroom in my '88 3.2 Cabriolet, I can wear a Stetson with room to spare.
    Alden

JimboMondial likes this.
  13. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    You asked about parts suppliers......
    I have had great luck with GT Car Parts in Arizona, electrical fuse box replacement and valves. Also take a look at AW Italian for everyday parts like belts, filters, fuel accumulators, etc. Rockauto has some good prices on random parts like fuel injectors and trunk lid strut support cylinders.

Try not to modify your Mondial Too much, it will decrease it's resale value.

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Welcome Jared! 3.2 is a nice model!
    Taking out the back seat will only air up 1 inch, because of what Paul already mentioned. Alden drove one our QVs in Italy and he had not really an issue and he is a giant compared to me.

Just try to raise your seat an inch or an inch and half. It makes a world of a difference, even for me! now I can see my pods :p I raised both seats so that we can stow some stuff underneath it to like our portophones.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #15 paulchua, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    My neighbor recently drove the Mondial and the 456 I got. For background, he is a real gearhead and not only drives various cars but also is an aviator.

After driving both (back to back) he summed it up in this sentence;

"The 456 is a great car, the Mondial is a great Ferrari"

In choosing one, he said the Mondial was by far and above his favorite.

For me, I love them both, there are pro and cons, to either.

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I did a trip today again and I ran out most modern GTs :cool: When you set your mind to sport drive, driving through corners you will get to know the Mondial in a very different way. In the mountains last year in italy a 360 manual could not keep up and he was stunned on the short power track after coming out of a corner. and all that without powerstering :p There is only one car that does better in the mountains and that is the 3x8.

nuclearnurse and paulchua like this.