360 - Added a partner to my 360 | FerrariChat

360 Added a partner to my 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sedat, Jun 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sedat

Sedat Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    #1 Sedat, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Haven't posted in a long time but though I might be able to help out those with the itch for a new car.

Thought this might be of general interest to those considering adding a Porsche to their collection from someone who has owned a 360 for over 10 years. My 6 speed 360 coupe is starting to show her age as all cars do. Not in looks but in overall comfort and driveablity. The A/C isn't very strong (its brand new a year ago). The suspension is getting softer. The sound system is lets face it pretty lousy. So I began a search over the winter for a Porsche having never owned one but driven a GT3 and enjoyed it. I ended up with a 7 speed manual Carrera T, Porsche's lightweight no frills option (even though it includes AC, Bose sound system, Nav and 18 way power seats). The car has similar power, torque and weight to the 360 so I though it would be right up my alley. Long story short I took delivery of the 911 before I took my 360 out of winter storage so I have been driving it for a few months (neglecting my Ferrari). Today I finally took my Ferrari out of the garage and drove it home so I feel like I can give my assessment to those wondering if a current 911 makes sense if they already have a 360.

Advantages of the Porsche: Gearbox is so direct, works flawless, part of this is because of how new all the synchros are. Seats hold you very well. In the Ferrari you feel like you are sitting on the car, Porsche you are sitting in it. Creature comforts are where the 911 shines, has everything you expect in a modern car. Cabin noise is very quiet and pleasant. Handling is ABSURD. My car is equipped with rear axle steering and its a real game changer for these cars. The brakes have much better feel and stopping power.

Advantages of the Ferrari: The engine noise is second to no car i've driven. Its 100% authentic and it is glorious. I have straight pipes and Tubi. The throttle response is perfect. They say the current generation of 911 (991.2) doesn't have much turbo lag, but after jumping into a NA Ferrari its very clear what you miss out on with turbos. Steering, although very old is still really nice, predictable and easy to control when in a slide. Appearance is a tough one. I really do enjoy the looks of both cars, but I would give the Ferrari the slight edge being that its 20 years old and people still think its brand new, and in addition the clear engine bonnet is a huge plus. The Porsche literally has a flap that shows you coolant and oil, not a damn thing else. Very lame.

Ah and one last thing I didn't touch on was speed and acceleration. This is tough. As I am sure there isn't much between the two. The being said, the Porsche gets to illegal speeds without you really sensing whats happening, its so quiet and civilized. The Ferrari lets you know as it screams close to 9000 rpm. I'd say they "feel" close enough that power shouldn't be a concern when making the purchase, and if it is there are many more powerful options in the 911 lineup.

If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer them as I get time. I hope this was helpful.

Dotcom

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Sounds like a GT3 would be a combination of both cars into 1.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Meh. Give it a year or two. My 997 really impressed me when I first got it. Now, it's a great car but it's just a 911. The longer wheelbase 991's are even more GT-like from what I've driven.

Sport seats make you feel more "at one" with the car. 360's with the regular seats and Daytonas do feel "higher up" IMHO than the sport seats do... riding on top of things. I disagree with the AC. Mine in 98 degree summer heat in Charleston keeps me cool. It's surprising that a sports car for the era does that. Might need a Freon recharge.

Quite frankly comparing a 2019 car with a 1999-2000 is kinda absurd. Real question is will the 991 T be as relevant when it's 20 years old?

jcurry and RANDY6005 like this.
  4. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Agree with vrsurgeon on all counts. My 360 2002 a/c is super cold and that Porsche is just a Porsche. Raced 911s for years and loved them on the track. As a street car. Boring!

RANDY6005 likes this.
  5. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    Nice review.

IMO 911s complement the 360 perfectly. Having one takes all the "practicality-pressure" off the 360. If I needed to commute or something, I'd probably choose something like a 991.2 also. I test-drove a base 991.2 7MT and was really impressed with the comfort, usable torque and shifting smoothness. I could happily deal with stop-and-go traffic with that transmission. And it's great at modern-car kinds of stuff (safety, amenities, kid-friendliness).

That said, I don't commute and don't need a lot of modern-car stuff. For my "daily sports car" I actually prefer my old 996 over the 991.2, even with money no object. The 996 is not as practical or comfortable, but even as the black sheep of the lineage it does the classic-911 stuff better: it sounds great (PSE), is smaller/lighter, has tons of steering feel, feels properly rear-engined, and the limits are street-exploitable.

6. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    What was the purpose of this thread ? just asking ? not trying to be a smart -ss

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Tough crowd. He was just giving his opinion on a potential stablemate for one's Ferrari. I have a 997 Cabriolet that is really fun to drive and it compliments my 360 in my garage just fine. Driving the 360 is just a totally different experience for me. My 2007 997 is more refined than my 2002 360 Spider. However, after initially planning on keeping both I am now wondering how much I will drive my 997 given how much fun the 360 is to drive.

8. Easy888

Easy888 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2006
    CA, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think a 911 or Cayman for that matter compliments any Ferrari well. Best of both worlds. Nothing wrong with that.

9. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Not sure what's up with some of the other poster's butts, but I get what you are saying and why you posted and glad you did. Saying it's absurd to compare the two cars in the context that you did is frankly, quite absurd. As fun cars that we can/should all relate to and understand it is neat to have another car in the garage for enjoyment for when different moods suit the situation. I have 3 fun cars and one 1 fun daily driver. They are all different, but I love them all. I have a 2008 Porsche Boxster to compliment my Ferrari. They provide different enjoyment, yet are both very enjoyable. I feel sorry for anyone that says a 911 is boring........sure not as extreme or visceral as some other cars such as most Ferrari's, but it's not all isolated and quiet and void of feedback like most cars. The 911, like all Porsches provide good feedback in little things that I think some people just don't appreciate, such as steering feedback, the way the seats and shifter and steering wheel feels, the way the brakes "feel" and work, the smoothness of H-6's and the sound they make, the way they can corner and the quality of the materials...........all comes into play along with many other intangible aspects as well. I am glad I'm not in the camp that doesn't appreciate the nuances of many of the fine automobiles we are blessed to own and enjoy in these days, be it either newer or older makes/models.

10. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I wouldnt kick a 911 out of my bed

11. efes9

efes9 Karting

Oct 22, 2014

Attached Files:

I'm 360 Canuck and Justicepool like this.
  12. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Love the targa top. More cars should have this option. It’s the true ideal compromise between a hardtop and Cabrio (save your breath about sunroofs).

That said, saying a 2 seater Porsche like a cayman or Boxster “compliments” a mid engine 2 seater Ferrari like a 360, is...confusing to me. Seems totally redundant IMO. At least get a 2+2 so there’s some sort of practical difference, like my Audi A5 S-Line ;)

Justicepool and ihavearedferrari like this.
  13. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Or a portofino / Cali T.