My wife wants a Range Rover | FerrariChat

My wife wants a Range Rover

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Jun 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    but *everyone* that I know says they just break down too often to be used as a DD

Comments from people that own or owned them?

Today’s build any better?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ive had a range rover sport, an LR3, 2 LR4s, an 07 HSE and an 11 SC since 2006 with very little issues. still have since new the 2013 LR 4 (94k miles) the 07 HSE (88k miles), and the 11 SC (90k miles).

Innovativethinker likes this.
  3. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    I've owned several, including a 2019 full size that I recently picked up for the wife a few months ago. Prior to that we had a 2013 4th gen, and have had 2 3rd gens in the past as well. The 4th Gen (2012 and up) have improved vastly over previous generations in the reliability category, in fact our 2013 had zero problems during its 3 year lease where we put 40k miles on it.

In 2019 the interior was refreshed with what is basically full LED screens everywhere. It's beautiful, but It's been in the shop twice for minor electrical issues that were fixed quickly, but frankly I"m not surprised by that. They have always been known for their electrical gremlins and now the interior is basically a computer screen.

As far is driving dynamics, they're legendary for a reason. It feels like a big car, but it floats down the highway and of course is extremely capable off road.

Most people these days lease them for a lot of reasons, and I have leased my last two. We will probably pick up another one once this lease is up.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh have def heard of owners griping about 4th gen up until 2018s. like stuff id never wanna deal with. maybe they got it right in 2019? 2010 -2012s generally have a timing chain issue which is costly to repair by most standard but being this is fchat whats $7500 bucks for peace of mind. ive held off getting a 4th gen as they sit much lower and look too fat. my 2011 SC has 500 hp and has some guts when accelerating. absolute pleasure to drive. wldnt even consider an s class or anything.

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Doug DeMuro got an old one through carmax and carmax extended warranty did so much for the vehicle - it's a fun watch

I wish the LX570 / Landcruiser with the forced induction was sold in US market

6. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    The best SUV is the Cayenne GTS! I have had two of them and never a problem. Like all Porsches, they are bulletproof.

Joe

7. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Lexus/Land Cruiser

vraa and Bradwilliams like this.
  8. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    #8 JP Manor, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    They Cayenne is a great vehicle, but the cargo room is laughable. We had one for a couple of years in between Range Rovers but the lack of cargo room simply wasn't doable with two kids.

375+ likes this.
  9. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    My wife drives the 2017 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic (V8) as her DD (35K miles), my eldest son has the last Land Rover LR4 Lux 2016 model (38K miles), and my youngest son has the Land Rover LR5 Lux (2019 New body style) with 3K miles on it.

No issues with any of them (though the LR5 is only a few months old). My only grip on the LR4/LR5 - they go through breaks and calipers every 30K miles or so (So did our older LR's in the past). Which mileage wise is much to short IMO, but they are a heavy vehicle.

We specifically went with the LR's for my sons (still in high school), as they are meaty from a size perspective, and have loads of safety in them (Automated stopping, blind side warning, cameras, etc.) Also they are somewhat comfortable 7 seaters (as opposed to the RRS, which is only 5). If we need to do have some extra seats for a car pool, or more room doing a longer drive, vacation, etc. We take the LR4 or LR5 - as they are much bigger than the RRS.

The RR Sport also has all that stuff as well, and is really a fun SUV, it is very quick, great engine sound, and very comfortable. We went with the sport over the full size RR - as outside a bit of space - didn't see much benefit, and less sporty from the Mrs's Perspective.

We have had no issues with any of ours over the years, and the 3 we have now have been (replacing the breaks/calipers aside of the LR4) - no issues. The service is very good, they always treat us well. Usually give a nice loaner (Range Rover or LR) for loaners, and if we want to try something else on the lot they arrange to have that available as the loaner. (I wanted to try out the new Full Sized RR, they had that as a loaner for me during one of the last services for the LR4).

PS. If I were to pick one that is my favorite. I think the older body style in the LR4 is the best. The LR4 is a true beast, runs circles around our heavily modded Jeep Wrangler 4 door. The LR4 is nearly bullet proof, will not get stuck unless you try really hard (we have tried ;-) )

Innovativethinker and wax like this.
  10. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
  11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What's nice about the Range Rover is that it qualify for IRS Section 179. :D

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    We have a Discovery sport with 40k miles.
    No problems up until we took it in for service and upon leaving it had misfire issues.
    Two weeks to fix but they gave us a loaner.

I cant see the need for a supercharged RR.
    Lets be serious these are not race cars.
    I DO love the newer Velar body style.
    Right size and good looks.
    Reasonably priced.
    I'd skip the automatic suspension for springs.

13. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Love my Velar, we have a Sport also but I like the Velar better. Hope RR updates the full size RR to the body style and interior of the Velar.

ronfrohock and Innovativethinker like this.
  14. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    They did for 2019..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Thanks everyone, I greatly appreciate the feedback. I feel much more comfortable getting her one.

Now the big question is full size? She is petite and drives an SRX, which fits her perfectly.

Went online, the full size definitely looks good and better than the Mercedes.

16. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    Bas and Innovativethinker like this.
  17. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    We got a used LR2 a few years back as a compact city beater. Here's my advice, lease it if new. If used then RR anything 2010+ and LR anything 2014+ also plan to pony up for repairs. They also aren't the greatest when it comes to the rust department either. Makes everything but Jeep look good.

18. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    The scary thing is with the Velar (which I also like, like a mini RR Sport), fully loaded, and with the RR Sport Supercharged Dynamic (one under the SVR). I paid 10K more for my wifes RRS than the almost fully loaded Velar. Only a few options on the RRS that was not standard or could not get on the Velar. So for 10K more, what the heck are they pricing the Velar at. I was somewhat in shock, it is much smaller, smaller engine, less options, etc. Way over priced, IMO. It did have the newer Digitial displays, but with the price difference, size, ect - that was not even a consideration. Even the LR5, similar comps, the Velar is not a good deal - Good looking sure, but not for the cost.

19. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    #19 Innovativethinker, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Looking at the models looks like the Range Rover or Range Rover sport are the better choices for us.

I’m hesitant to get a 2019 as it is the first year of the new electronics and I had a horrible experience with my 2016 S class, which was their first year of new electronics.

Ran through the build a car for the 2020
    RRS and came up with $91k although I missed a better seating option. Build sheet here: https://buildyour.landrover.com/lr2/r/summary/_/en_us/l494_k20/4o5ep/a-ae494_a-hse/a-eaa-w_a-ppack06_n-017ek_n-017te_n-025ln_n-028md_n-029yu_n-032dv_n-033in_n-054db_n-080an_n-088hb_n-173ab_n-1bn?utm_source=Shortened%20URL

Quite a swing for the RR, from $110k to $180k - that’s allot of options.

Don’t see 2020s RRS at dealers in so cal yet but I’m sure it won’t be long.

For those that have purchased new is there room for negotiation? My wife puts on 30k a year so leasing probably would not work out.

20. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    When the 4th gens came out. They couldn’t produce enough to meet demand and they were marking them up for whoever was willing to pay. Things have changed a bit and there’s def room for some negotiation. While I wouldn’t be concerned with the electronics refresh, (it’s worlds better) my dealer had several brand new 17s and 18s they were willing to deal on... Problem is they were very high msrp vehicles.

Like Porsche and Ferrari, they love their expensive options, most of which are not needed

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    MY wife traded our full size RR in on a AMG 63 G Wagon ( yes we had 3 RRs for awhile). The G Wagon is different, either you love it or hate it but for over $100k, you should go look at it. While the RR does well in snow ( obviously rare here in Texas) the G Wagon goes through a foot of standing water without in a hint of deceleration or pull on the steering wheel. No other SUV we have owned comes close. Might want to go drive one just in case- something different.

DGPF and Innovativethinker like this.
  22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Son has '11 LR4 Lux, which replaced his '06 LR3, which was Massassinated just outside Boston.

Bought LR4 from NV used dealer with multiples of Rovers, mostly RR, where they had it advertised as a Base model. There's not a Lux label to be found, kiddies! Saved lots in the process. Either way, he has handled maintenance himself.

The LR4 got a lot more peeps out of icy situations in MA during & after Blizzards & passed by several jackknifed Rigs in PA.

For EC, when it drops to 22, it takes a bit for either air ride suspension to leave comfort zone of low setting. Handles extreme heat very well, though.

Nevertheless, having driven both on 200 mile RT excursions myself, the LR4 is leaps and bounds above LR3 in every category. Comparatively, at speed, lane change, turn, the LR3 was a tow-headed child. Then, there's the inner trim, where there is no comparison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    The only advice I would give, I would look at the V8 supercharged. I found the RR or RRS to be somewhat underpowered with the 6 cylinder. Oddly the same 6 is in the LR4 and LR5/ but it is a big lumbering beast, so having agility in a bigger engine is not needed. I did find the RRS without the 8 somewhat boring, and the wife agreed...

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have an Autobiography Supercharged V8 (tuned ) with every option that Land Rover offers. It is my winter snow car (on a lift up in the air until November) has Nokian snow tires took off those silly 22" wheels. It is my 5th rover and I have had no issues with the last two. In my opinion the best luxury SUV, but then again all mine has to do is go through snow, I don't think it has 4K miles in 3 years. The G new wagon (I was offered one of the new ones), I drove recently is a serious disappointment, I don't get the fascination with that thing. For 70K max it would be a worth buying a new one. I like MB I've had over 60 of them, have 3 now, but that thing, that is a status symbol nothing more.

25. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I agree on the G Wagon. I don't get it but the wife loves it. When both are in the driveway, I always take the Velar over the RRS and G Wagon. That being said, we have had several supercharged RR and RRs as well as the HLS version and the difference to me on acceleration was negligible. I might be jaded though, 9 months out of the year my DD is a Huracan :)