How many hours for timing belt replacement? | FerrariChat

How many hours for timing belt replacement?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Tom999w, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tom999w

Tom999w Rookie

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How many hours does it take to replace the timing belts (1984 Mondial QV)? I've looked all over the internet and see lots of links on how to replace them, but none say how long it takes in hours. I'm also talking only about the belts. I know there may be peripheral items that may need to be replaced when you open it up but I'm only looking for the belt replacement time.

Also, how many hours does it take to adjust the valves?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It used to take me all day to change mine, mind you i did not have a lift so had to do them on the jack.
    Not done the valves but its not an easy job from what i can see.

3. decardona

decardona Formula 3

Apr 23, 2005
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cardona
    It took me an afternoon to do the job on my 3.2. I did have the advantage of a lift.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I just had sore knees when i had finished

5. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I have done both on my car. Didn't time myself on either as I was not concerned about that part at the time. The valves can be a long process depending on how many are out of spec. (Most of mine were) If I were to quote a job doing both I would say start to finish at least 6hrs to be safe . From lifting the car to turning the key. I am rather OCD about things so I cover things in blankets and lay all my tools out beforehand. Keep in mind that involves removing the engine lid, distributors, wires, plugs, fuel lines, throttle cable, RR wheel, inner fender, AC compressor, alternator belt, belt covers, air box, etc for starters. (At least that's what I did) Next question is do you have the tools to change the belts and adjust the valves? Cam lock tool, shim removal tools, shims, belt tension guage (if you wish to use one), and preferably a lift. It's not difficult in all honesty, hope this helps! Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You say "just the belts" but replacing the belt's tensioners are just as important (i.e. more prone to failure than the belts themselves).

7. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    And that's why they call him Mechanical Dad! :)

Mechanical Dad and 19633500GT like this.
  8. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Worst part of the job is dealing with the AC compressor that does not work that well anyhow. Mines a cabriolet so I plugged the lines and left it off. A lift makes it soooo much easier.

9. Tom999w

Tom999w Rookie

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok thanks for all the replies. The dealership told me 20 hours and I knew that had to be way off. But it's also their job to upsell too. Thanks.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Not a Ferrari Dealership, correct? 'Cause I doubt they would do a belts only service.

11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Mike is there a reason of only replacing the belts? Lots of "while you're in there" items that AWItalian has for reasonable prices (seals and o-rings etc. etc) that can go a long way with belts, tensioners, and valves if you go for it all.

20 hours is pretty high for what you asked for, unless they returned you a "full major" (so included valve adjustment/all gaskets replaced/timing and etc)

12. Tom999w

Tom999w Rookie

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I only want the belts replaced because on these cars you have to draw the line somewhere; there literally is no end to the things a Ferrari needs. If I told the Ferrari dealership to fix everything that was broken or could break then I'd have a $50,000 repair bill. In addition, it's only going to be driven up onto a trailer and back off, it's not a daily or even a weekend driver. I have more affordable cars for that..

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    An experienced tech should be able to replace the belts on that car in 8 hours. The tensioner bearings, or sometimes called idlers NEED to be replaced, or regreased. Without doing this, your new belts will fail prematurely. No need for a lift. A small floor jack will do.

To adjust the valves, I would allow 8 hours per bank, or 16 hours. Plus the motor will need to be left apart for 1 week to order shims. If you don't adjust the valves, they will eventually become open all the time. The seats will wear faster than the shims/cams.

These cars are old now, and require maintenance. You need to either be a DIY mechanic, or have a really smart friend willing to work for beer, or have very deep pockets to pay retail.

Letting the car sit unused will generate all sorts of problems. It's best to run the car at least once a week, IMO.

14. Tom999w

Tom999w Rookie

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the information spicedriver. The dealership was somewhere along those lines, saying shims may be needed also. I bought the car with 31k miles, have had it for eleven years, and it now has 33k miles. I will at least get the belts and bearings replaced but I don't know that only 33k miles of driving would wear out the valves.

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    After 11 years the oil and brake fluid probably also need changing or do you do that yourself ?

16. Tom999w

Tom999w Rookie

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Haha, I might as well just replace everything on the car. It might be cheaper to just buy a new Ferrari.

17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    you might not need to replace any valve shims but it would be good to have them checked for clearances.

18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Not driving your car is the worst and most expensive thing you can do. If you just let a Ferrari sit for three years you are asking for a major service to replace all the atrophied seals and belts and rubber that will start to fail under the first spirited driving. The only way to get your money out of the car and the cost of service is to actually put it on the road, and often.

19. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #19 Alden, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Ferrari recommends 3-5 year timing belt replacement, depending on who you believe, regardless of mileage. I would do the valves and water pump too (WYAIT). Drop the engine? Easy for a Tech, an hour or so, and it makes working on the engine and surrounding areas easier. Me? It would be an 8+hour job, lol. Then you may be replacing EGR and other stuff that has gone bad over the years. In any case, replace ALL the fuel lines. FIRE! Not me, a Lotus tried to kill me once.

I personally think our belts will last 50,000 miles or more, but we are all afraid of a $30k bill if they fail.

BTW, most belt failures that I have read/researched about occur very soon AFTER a belt replacement. (Someone did something wrong and it won't be you!) Choose your Tech carefully.

Oh yea, drive it or sell it. You will be doing the car and yourself a great service. I like looking at pretty gals as much as the next guy, but sooner or later, you have to jump in the sack and "deliver."
    Alden

20. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    On mondial, it took me "one long weekend day" and parts where couple hundred I think.

Btw, since I pulled the engine and that also took one long weekend day,..once engine out, it probably takes 1 hour or so...

Sent from my SM-A750GN using FerrariChat.com mobile app