Letterman and Lewis Hamilton | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Letterman and Lewis Hamilton

Discussion in 'F1' started by Phil~, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I watched the episode. To me Letterman was funny in the old days before he joined the Taliban. He still has a few good lines. I did want to puke at some of Elton's implied personal struggles and class warfare jabs. He seemed to be as spoiled as the rich karting kids he envied while somehow projecting his father's hardship onto himself as his own. This felt very disingenuous. He had no issue with dad working himself to death, but once he started to ascend in the racing ranks he went 2 years without speaking to his father? This part of the backstory was very bizarre and vague, but telling about LH's character if true.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I am not sure why you seem defensive. It's just a fact that Lewis has driven better machinery than anyone else in history. This is a guy that plopped into a WDC capable McLaren for his rookie season (but still blew it at China 07) when MSC, Alonso, Senna and others had to earn their keep in lesser cars for years before stepping into anything that good. Also, Lewis had nothing to do with Mercedes becoming dominant in 2014. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

He made a great call switching teams before a major regulation change that turned out to be a smart move (after being talking into it by Lauda) but your little dig at Michael is odd considering Michael and Ross Brawn built Ferrari into a force over a process of years of work during stable regulations. Oddly enough it was Michael and Ross who were there when Mercedes got their team off the ground in 2010. Mercedes turned into a force overnight because they hit a home run with their turbo hybrid engine and the new regulations. I'm not sure how long you have been watching F1, but this has happened before in the past. Major reg changes shake things up and then thanks to the BS token system Mercedes had a built in advantage for years. It had nothing to do with Hamilton. He is not superman, and the vast majority of the grid would be cruising to easy victories in these Merc Monsters.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    HOVA is a self made Billionaire. He’s not a businessman, he’s a Business, man.

Want to talk meritocracy..

ATBNM3 likes this.
  4. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    What is his business, 'Quick Draw'?

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I really enjoyed those interviews. They were hilarious and gave real insight to Hamilton. Much more entertaining than Brundle and those stiffs usual tripe In the paddock.
    What was interesting was the way LH didn’t just brush off the kids nonsense, like most celebs would, and hope it gets edited out. He’d call him out on it and argue back with him. It was amazing entertainment because it was surprisingly authentic.

fer312t and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Michael was there turning the team into the winners they became, Mercedes intention was not wins and championships in the V8 culture, although I’m sure they would have taken them if possible, but their ethos was always about building the team and tech in readiness for their new bespoke V6 turbos that they had agreed perfect rules for. No Michael, no Ross brawn, I don’t think Mercedes would have had it as easy as they have done

TifosiUSA likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ATBNM3 likes this.
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Claims F1 is a meritocracy. Clearly knows nothing about the Hip-Hop/Rap game and what Jay-Z and Kanye have accomplished with their diversification in a variety of successful business ventures besides being two of the most critically acclaimed musicians alive today.

ATBNM3 and Mbutner like this.
  9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
  10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I had no idea what/who HOVA is/was either. I thought it was an acronym and had to Google it to find out what we were talking about. I really don't care for the genre of music Jay-Z and Kanye West make so don't follow them. From what little I've seen of them in the news, Jay-Z comes across to me as a highly intelligent businessman worth taking seriously, while Kanye West comes across to me as a peddler of cheap controversy to stay relevant in the tabloids.

Anyway, back to F1. I do get the sentiment that F1 is something of a meritocracy in that the best drivers will be wanted by the best teams and therefore they'll have the best equipment. However, we have also seen that sub-par drivers can buy their way into driving for lower ranked teams which occupies race seats that might otherwise have gone to getting promising new drivers their starts to get noticed by the big teams. Ability is also not entirely defined by on-track performance and drivers need to appear presentable to media and sponsors. The marketability of a driver factors into it and sometimes can cause some drivers to be retained longer than they would have been otherwise if the decision had been based purely on race results.

So you could define F1 as a meritocracy, but the ability to drive the car is not the only metric by which merit is established.

All the best,
    Andrew.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Do you know what meritocracy means?

"Meritocracy (merit, from Latin mereō, and -cracy, from Ancient Greek κράτος kratos 'strength, power') is a political system in which economic goods and/or political power are vested in individual people on the basis of talent, effort, and achievement, rather than factors such as heredity or wealth."

Sure there lots of billionaires that didnt finish high school, sold crack cocaine, got shot 3 times. Yeah right.

"Jay-Z is among the most critically acclaimed musicians and one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with over 100 million records sold worldwide.[21] He has won a total of 22 Grammy Awards, the most by a rapper, and holds the record for the most number-one albums by a solo artist on the Billboard 200, with 13.[22] He has been ranked by Billboard and fellow music publication Rolling Stone as one of the 100 greatest artists of all time.[23][24] In 2017, he became the first rapper to be honored into the Songwriters Hall of Fame,[25] and in 2018, received the commemorative "Salute to Industry Icons" award at the 60th Grammy Awards."

"Outside of his musical career, Jay-Z has also attained significant success and media attention for his career as a businessman. In 1999, he founded the clothing retailer Rocawear,[18] and in 2003, he founded the luxury sports bar chain 40/40 Club. Both businesses have grown to become multi-million dollar corporations, and allowed Jay-Z to fund the start-up for the entertainment company Roc Nation, which was founded in 2008. In 2015, he acquired the tech company Aspiro, and took charge of their media streaming service Tidal, which has since become the world's third-largest online streaming company.[19] His marriage to musician Beyoncé has also been a source of substantial media attention."

Next time read before you post on a topic you clearly know little about.

HOVA is thr Webster dictionary definition of meritocracy.

12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Andrew thanks for the intelligent post. You would imagine that exotic car owners would take the initiative to educate themselves about a topic they know nothing about but some dont and when they do post it highlights their ignorance.

Every other post is Elton this or Elton that yet they dont bother to use Google when any rap cognescenti will tell you Yeezy and HOVA are common nicknames.

If you read my initial post it had nothing to do with meritocracy. Some random poster decided to inject meritocracy into the discussion who didnt even know who Yeezy and HOVA were and admitted so himself.

I was pointing out that Hambone was in prestigious company with Obama, Clooney, Yeezy and HOVA.

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  13. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Regarding the other poster's comical assertion that F1 is a meritocracy I have two words, Lance Stroll.

Regarding Yeezy regardless of how you feel about his public persona and I agree his behavior is sometimes boorish and perplexing, you have to admit he is an extremely successful musician and businessman. Noted philanthropist, producer and fashion icon.

His parents divorced when he was 3, his father was a Black Panther, he was raised by his mother, he moved to China when he was 10 and he is a college dropout.

He wrote poetry when he was 5, starting rapping at 8 and started composing music which he sold to other artists when he was 12.

Yeezy is "among the most critically acclaimed musicians of the 21st century and one of the best-selling music artists of all time with over 135 million records sold worldwide.[3] He has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards, making him one of the most awarded artists of all time and the most Grammy-awarded artist of his generation.[4] Three of his albums have been included and ranked on Rolling Stone's 2012 update of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list and he ties with Bob Dylan for having topped the annual Pazz & Jop critic poll the most number of times ever, with four number-one albums each. Time magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2005 and 2015."

So yeah Hambone is in prestigious company as Letterman's guest on Netflix.

14. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    What I said...it's me...you know, 'some random poster', is that 'F1 is a meritocracy at least at the top.' You seem now to ignore Neuro's 'intelligent response' that driving skill is not the only characteristic of F1's meritocracy. Lance Stroll, as we both acknowledge, isn't 'at the top'.

What I initially said was 'you(Surfah) live in a different world'. Yes, I could have Googled, but believe it or not, most of us here live in a world where HOVA and Yeezy are not known. Instead of taking the opportunity to tell many of us who they are and save us lots of time, you chose the 'if you were as smart as I am' response.

You say that 'Hambone' (your words, and by the way, I have NEVER called Lewis Hamilton 'Elton') is in good company with Obama, Clooney, Yeezy and HOVA. Is that not saying that Lewis Hamilton has merit? The point being that you introduced the notion of merit, I didn't.

15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As I was saying earlier, we have seen drivers buy their way into race seats. Fortunately, it seems to be a small proportion of drivers who secure their seats in this way, but they are conspicuous when doing so.

I get that you're passionate about rap and I'm glad you're enjoying it. However, I'm more of a blues fan (e.g. Joe Bonamassa, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, etc.) and can't really relate to the rap genre. I'm going to respectfully bow out of the rap discussion.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Surfah and IanMac like this.
  16. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Lance Stroll competes with the top 19 open wheel drivers in the world. F1 is considered the top, most competitive form of racing. So you are wrong.

Its not my job to enlighten the uneducated. What am I your Dad? Youre a grown man do it yourself and think before you post.

Merit has nothing to do with my post stop putting words in my mouth. He was a fellow guest among several illuminaries and this will increase his exposure to the masses and fan base.

Classy as always Andrew. Thanks for having my back.

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Absolutely !!
    There is more to being a racing driver than being fast on the track.
    You have to please the sponsors, already at F3/F2 level to get to F1.
    Marketability is essential.

18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Rule number one for trolling: bait against everybody but sugar coat the mods...
    I would say very well executed

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

TifosiUSA and daytona355 like this.
  19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And I though Lewis is at Mercedes purely because of his abilities... stupid me

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

daytona355 likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Why should they do that ?
    Do you judge people by their knowledge of the rap culture ? Or of music in general ?
    Some people may have knowledge in other spheres that don't interest you; have you considered that?

I'm 360 Canuck and P.Singhof like this.
  21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What the **** is a HOVA or a Yeezy? Never heard of it, is it like a wheezy? Jeez, and I’m accused of derailing things..... Hehehehe.

I'm 360 Canuck and Challenge like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    OK, I get it.

By the look of it, most of us here are ignorant or uneducated because we don't know what is HOVA or Yeezy. Could be a brand of mustard, for all I know.

It's like trying to communicate with my teenager grandchildren, and God knows that's hard work !!!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I would know to educate myself about the salient topic before making a critical post about something I know nothing about.

Wouldnt you?

Sid, you at least have the common sense not to criticize a post regarding a topic you know zero about

24. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I wasn’t criticising buddy, it obviously didn’t come across, but I was having one of my jokes (that seemed to go over people’s heads), looking to defuse the tension in the thread, although I genuinely have no clue what either actually is! I still can’t work it out mind, the two musicians I have heard of, but what are these HOVA and wheezy terms, not sure I know whether they are nicknames or a job/occupation/type of DJ style?

Surfah likes this.
  25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Sid, I agree with you. We're friends remember?

HOVA=Jay-Z

Yeezy= Kanye West

Discussing two of the most famous current American musical artists with posters the age of my father is obviously going over their heads.

ATBNM3 and daytona355 like this.